Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job search with humor

Job search with humor

Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice
Default Job search with humor

I made a descision that I wasn't going to work in a boring job years ago (too much happened in life) & so far in the UK I've managed to stick with that. My CV is lighthearted while still getting my total professionalism across (If you can count getting out of the office wearing 6" platforms and a basque without the clients in the boardroom seeing professional )

I sent off my CV to a friend of my sisters (I was hoping to get into IT without being shut in a darken room actually put that on it ) who works in IT in Australia & she absolutely loved it although she did say that she wouldn't employ me in IT as she knew I would hate it! (but deep down probably already knew that)

So that got me thinking when I asked her to look at it from a more would you employ this person if they had all the qualifications you were looking for kind of way she said probably not! She felt for her company at least it wouldn't be the sort of person they were looking for (boring ba$%£$ds!) although she did say that it would stand out a mile & the correct company for me would snap me up based on that (feeling slightly more relieved) but did I really want to stop myself getting work in places that weren't quite so colourful? Well the short answer here is yes

I know the Aussie sense of humour is somewhat different to that in the UK having lived there for many years I probably have more Aussie humour than British hard to say I know very few people totally get my sense of humor in the UK.

So my question is this. Do I take a boring job to get me by, while looking for something more up my street? Or do I just throw caution to the wind? I know from searching for jobs from the UK I'm looking for key words like exciting role, shines like a star etc & it does whittle the jobs down quite a bit. I really can't do the whole serious thing, my last interview for PA to MD was held in a pub & told him outright I wouldn't be wearing work clothes (I did wear clothes obviously just not the grey that everyone insists on wearing to their job in town!) got the job without hesitation, if I'd asked to keep an Oompa Loompa under my desk I'm sure he would have agreed to it

How did others fare with their job search? Did you find things more laid back in Australia? I'm starting to freak myself out a bit thinking I should take all the quirks out the CV.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all
Default Re: Job search with humor

Hi All,

Be honest with yourself, you sound great and full of fun, a boring office job staring at the screen all day is probably going to drive you insane.

You sound like you should be customer facing in something funky, oooh I don't know what though, arranging parties, weddings, corporate days out. Something where people expect FUN! But somewhere were you're not restricted to wearing the grey/navy/black suit. Media, TV erm...

Oh crikey I don't know but you sound great, go for it.

I've had the boring, high pressured job, good wages but gawd I hated it and my health suffered, don't do it!

Good luck

Thanks All.

M
Old Sep 15th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I think your cv (if I'm imagining it correctly) might actually cost you a few jobs in the area and environment you are looking for. People like good humoured co-workers. But, interviewers might look at your cv and think 'they're not taking this seriously'.

There is only 1 way to know if the type of environment in a potential job suits you and thats by getting the job first and being in it for some time.

Interviewers will lie about office morale if its not good. If you ask about what the social scene is like in the office, they will probably tell you its very good even if its pathetic.

Your best bet is to be serious on your cv but show your personality in the interview. Look out for companies who have a good reputation for a fun environment, such as Google.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

I have to agree..........I'm sorry to say it but,

Employers are looking for WORKERS not entertainers
I'm sorry if this seems harsh but.................
Grow up !!
You are applying for a job, not a trip to Disneyland

I work with some of the nuttiest people I have ever had chance to meet, but every one of them knows there is a time & place where we can let loose.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossi

Grow up !!

I work with some of the nuttiest people I have ever had chance to meet, but every one of them knows there is a time & place where we can let loose.
Agreed. Where I work is absolutely insanity but the application process is a serious one. The environment after you are hired may be very relaxed, but generally HR people are looking for serious answers.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rossi

Grow up !!

Lol doesn't seem harsh, Yes I do realise that I am applying for a job, I know if I was employing people I would tend to take a risk on someone, rather than the monotone CVs that land on your desk every day of the week but also am realistic and realise that I am probably in the minority. I really just wondered what other people thought of it as an idea?

Suppose it all comes back to risk, I don't have children to support so my risk taking would be classified as irresponsible by others with families. The interview process will be just as revealing for me as it will be for them. But for the most part anyone who has no personality in the interview process generally doesn't magically find one when you start working with them. I do always have the option of saying thanks for the offer but I don't think I would be happy working with your company.

I appreciate all the responses.

ps I'm going to send out serious & not so serious CV's to see what the reaction is will let you all know how it goes.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Agreed. Where I work is absolutely insanity but the application process is a serious one. The environment after you are hired may be very relaxed, but generally HR people are looking for serious answers.
Where I work is great fun, lots of 'characters' who do the strangest things that make me crack up laughing and also are the friendliest people.

But I've also sat on interview boards, and they are deadly serious. I've never got an intentionally funny CV (a few unintentionally very funny ones, but thats a different story), but I don't think it would go down to well with a government review board.

I think the "fun team worker" or "outgoing personality" phrase in your CV would suffice. An entirely funny CV, no don't think so.

Maybe back in the dotcom days of wacky startups and limitless money, or if you are applying for a Google job.

JTL