Reload this Page >

health visitor moving to melbourne

health visitor moving to melbourne

Old Nov 27th 2007, 6:48 am
Just Joined

nic n trev is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile health visitor moving to melbourne

Hi
my name is nichola and my partner has been offred a job as a comm psych nurse in melbourne so we are planning to move in april. I am a paediatric nurse but recantly did my health visitor training. Does any body know if i can work as a health visitor in oz. I beleive they have maternal child health nurses but these appear to be midwives with extra training. The job description for a MCH sounds the same as mine. Can i work as a child maternal health nurse?
any response will be greatfully received
ta nic
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health visitor moving to melbourne

Originally Posted by nic n trev
Hi
my name is nichola and my partner has been offred a job as a comm psych nurse in melbourne so we are planning to move in april. I am a paediatric nurse but recantly did my health visitor training. Does any body know if i can work as a health visitor in oz. I beleive they have maternal child health nurses but these appear to be midwives with extra training. The job description for a MCH sounds the same as mine. Can i work as a child maternal health nurse?
ta nic
Nic, we live in Melbourne. There's several nurses that post on these forums that should be able to give you advice, for instance the lady who posts as "Weirdstone" is a psych nurse in Melbourne.

Hopefully she'll be along in a mo.

Welcome to the forum

Buzzy
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:38 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nic n trev
Hi
ta nic
Which hospital were you offered the job with?

Is this with PR or temp visa? see comments by Mags on being tied to a employer.

Welcome in advance to Melbourne
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:02 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the introduction BB

Hi, and welcome Nic and Trev

I'm sorry, I can't help re the HV / CMHN ...but can offer any help re Psych

I would suggest you move this into the nursing forum - you will get more specific help there...and it won't become 'lost' as it possibly will here.

Cas
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

nic n trev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Nic, we live in Melbourne. There's several nurses that post on these forums that should be able to give you advice, for instance the lady who posts as "Weirdstone" is a psych nurse in Melbourne.

Hopefully she'll be along in a mo.

Welcome to the forum

Buzzy
Hi thanks all for taking the time to post a response.
I have a mate who i worked with in the uk who is now working in port philip community team (paul Blakey) (psych) he managed to sort me out an interview and as a result i have been offered a sponsorship. I understand that this is a community placement (i am a cpn in the uk) although as yet i do not know which team i will be placed in. Hes given me the low down and explained the pros and cons of not having PR, as well as working and living in various parts of oz. We feel prety confident as to the psych side of things, however are strugling for info relating to health visiting. Recently we received an e mail explaining that if Nic wished to work as a Maternal child health (MCH) nurse (which is a similar role to health visiting) she should be qualified as a midwife as well as a health visitor to qualify for work in this area. Prior to becoming a HV nic was a paed nurse, so may struggle to get the work she wants. Nic is not that keen to go back onto the wards, like me she enjoys the autonomy of community work. I understand that if she does a post grad diploma in midwiffery in oz she could then use her HV training to become a MCH nurse. Nic doesnt realy fancy doing more training as a midwife. Could any one please advise on any community work she may be able to do as a qualified Paed nurse and or HV. Thasnks again carnt wait to get over there, Trev.