Reload this Page >

Health insurance and IVF

Health insurance and IVF

Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance and IVF

Hi,

My husband is an electrician and we have just received our visa for permanent residency although we don't intend to actually emigrate until 2009 due to my career.

We already have one child conceived naturally but now need IVF. I've just finished a cycle but unfortunately it failed. I'm due to start law school next September so we won't be able to try again until I finish in June 2009 which is when we plan to emigrate.

A friend told me that IVF is covered by medical insurance in Australia. Is this true? If so, will it matter that we already have diagnosed fertility problems and have already privately funded a cycle.

I'd be interested to know, I'm desperate to try again, but know I can't until I finsih college. I was pushing it this cycle as the baby (I should be so lucky) would have been born in August and college would have started in September!

If any of you have been in this situation I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Emma
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Health insurance and IVF

Hi,

Have had fertility treatment spanning 17 years in the Uk and all funded by private medical insurance.

They only allow up to £1'000 per year.

We were with BUPA first, then PPP and then BUPA at the end. I honestly feel that it depends on who you get at the other end of the phone.

I paid privately through my own funds £1'000 per pregnancy to see an Obstetrician, but on my last pregnancy my consultant informed me that BUPA could now pay for this as well as my private room, which I had previously forked out for myself.

By the way, I have 4 kids, so good luck!

Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I asked a similar question awhile back and received lots of PMs on the subject. Our last baby was conceived through IUI (in Ireland) which at the time we were advised against (We were told our only option was ICSI) but manged to conceive first time through this method. From what I gather yes fertility treatment is covered by Medicare and the fact that you have had prev. treatment does not matter. The cost of treatment is very little compared to the UK. This was taking from a pm that a BE poster sent me regarding IVF treatment in Aus. "3000 Dollars for the full pick up (injections, scans, hosp care, transfers). I understand in Uk this is about 8000 pounds. With the remaining embryos about 600 dollars per month for a transfer".

Hope this helps.

Mairead
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hi,

My husband is an electrician and we have just received our visa for permanent residency although we don't intend to actually emigrate until 2009 due to my career.

We already have one child conceived naturally but now need IVF. I've just finished a cycle but unfortunately it failed. I'm due to start law school next September so we won't be able to try again until I finish in June 2009 which is when we plan to emigrate.

A friend told me that IVF is covered by medical insurance in Australia. Is this true? If so, will it matter that we already have diagnosed fertility problems and have already privately funded a cycle.

I'd be interested to know, I'm desperate to try again, but know I can't until I finsih college. I was pushing it this cycle as the baby (I should be so lucky) would have been born in August and college would have started in September!

If any of you have been in this situation I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Emma
We have had ICSI and babe id due xmas eve we used www.monashivf.com.au in QLD (Sunnybank Hills) this cost use after rebate around $2k - 2 1/2k we did not use private insurance you do have to put the mone upfront which is prob $5k but you can do this in installments

Make sure when you join up to medicare you have the safty net put in place which means that when you hit the safty net which is $2k between you (I think) that all your medical bills for the rest of the year (jan - dec) will be rebated at the higher rate of 80% of the recommend fee, to give you an idea at the mo you pay $50 fo rthe doctor and get back $35 after the IVF treatment we pay $50 and get $46 back so over the year if you aim to be preg in Jan you would maore than save back the out of pocket anyway

If you want more info PM us

Thanks Martin
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to say congrats to you Martin & Tracey. Not long now ........
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Martin and Tracey,

I just wanted to say many congratulations and I hope you have as much joy with parenthood as I have had over these past 7 years.

I think parents who have strugged to get pregnant appreciate that tiny bit more how precious our little babies are.

It'll be like Xmas everyday for you,

Good Luck
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:22 am
Banned

HealthInsuranceMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hi,

Thanks.

Emma
Hi Emma

Yes IVF is covered by many if not most private health insurance funds in Australia. The only thing is some may make you wait more than 12 months before you can claim.

At the non-profit health fund I work at we used to have a 36 month 'benefit limitation period' on IVF. That meant we paid lousy benefits on IVF until a member had been with us for 3 years.

However not too long ago I changed the rule, so there's only a 12 month wait for IVF now.

Best wishes,
HealthInsuranceMan