Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heading to Gold coast

Heading to Gold coast

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:21 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Default Heading to Gold coast

I may be given the choice between North and south gold coast by my new employer. I'm not very interested in the touristy areas of the Coast, I am interested in the secluded beaches in the south and I have been told the south still has a small town feel. ?

Can anybody comment on the Gold coast areas/suburbs for a family life? We'll probably be looking at approx 450k for a 4 bed house.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:26 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heading to Gold coast

i have friends who moved to gold coast 18 months ago they have 2 kids and live in clear island waters they absolutely love it never heard them say a bad thing about the area then agani we were thinking of heading there but seems like more pople are heading to sunshine coast dont know anything about this area but would like to find out more ie the differences between two ares anyone else out there in same boat or know any info
thanks lesley
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:31 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79
i have friends who moved to gold coast 18 months ago they have 2 kids and live in clear island waters they absolutely love it never heard them say a bad thing about the area then agani we were thinking of heading there but seems like more pople are heading to sunshine coast dont know anything about this area but would like to find out more ie the differences between two ares anyone else out there in same boat or know any info
thanks lesley

Hey, get your own thread!

<sigh>

Last edited by temptininnit; Jan 22nd 2007 at 7:34 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by temptininnit
Hey, get your own thread!

<sigh>
sorry! thought the idea was we helped each other in here anyway.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:48 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

The touristy areas are Surfurs Paradise but otherwise all of the Gold Coast is just fab.

Where ever you live, everywhere is really accessible and very close by.

House prices are more expensive the closer you get to the sea and are cheaper still if you buy on the west side of the freeway such as Pacific Pines which boasts some lovely homes

Hope it helps
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:54 am
I've got time . . . . .

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
The touristy areas are Surfurs Paradise but otherwise all of the Gold Coast is just fab.

Where ever you live, everywhere is really accessible and very close by.

House prices are more expensive the closer you get to the sea and are cheaper still if you buy on the west side of the freeway such as Pacific Pines which boasts some lovely homes

Hope it helps
Can you comment on the North south thing? From over here close to the NSW border looks great. An aussie contact I have on a photography site who lives in S Brisvegas told me I'd like the small town feel of the south. ?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:57 am
I've got time . . . . .

sorry! thought the idea was we helped each other in here anyway.
No probs, I've seen a few threads on Gold Coast or sunshine coast. Try the search function.

I will be working in living in the GC so I was trying to find out just about the GC, sometimes threads go off on a tangent if they are hijacked.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We have lived on the Sunshine Coast for 3 years and have just moved to Goldie to be nearer our business. We wanted a small town feel and have searched all over the gold coast for the last 6 months.

We wanted to be able to get to Brissie easily so we chose the Northern end and have settled near Paradise Point/ Runaway Bay area. It is gorgeous here and I feel we have found a real alternative to the Sunny Coast with everything nearby and still only 20 mins from Surfers.

The Northern end has lots of new estates Pacific Pines, Hope Island etc and it is worth having a look around here.

If you want to be near a real city like Brisbane it is worth considering the Northern end it only takes us around 40 mins to get into Brisbane if we want to see shows etc or grab a bit of culture!!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so it appears that no one knows anything about the southern end

We live down here - about 15 mins to the NSW border. It's fab down here. We love it, it definitely has a much better vibe than the mid to north - in our opinion anyway. You can get good properties closer to the sea here - without having to pay daft money.

We were planning on living in the northern end but when we got here and checked out the length and breadth of the city, fell in love with this end. It takes us about 20 mins to get to Surfers - close enough for dinner but a million miles away in terms of lifestyle.

We can get into Brisbane in just over an hour in the evening. Hubby has had to go up there for work a couple of times and it's taken just under two during rush hour. My eldest daughter is very good friends with a girl who lives in Pacific Pines (they're moving, don't like it) but it only takes me half an hour door to door so no big deal.

I can give you some suburb info if you have anywhere in mind, let me know what you want.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by temptininnit
I may be given the choice between North and south gold coast by my new employer. I'm not very interested in the touristy areas of the Coast, I am interested in the secluded beaches in the south and I have been told the south still has a small town feel. ?

Can anybody comment on the Gold coast areas/suburbs for a family life? We'll probably be looking at approx 450k for a 4 bed house.
People have some strange ideas about the Gold coast and I was one who used to say I could not live here because I thought it was too touristy, lol....We only knew about the COASTAL strip along the Gold coast highway and no one had told us about the nice family orientated areas 15 mins inland or so!
Lots of families are moving here and house prices are quite high, so being able to find a rental and house prices will probably dictate a lot of where you live.I had no idea of the villages in the Gold coast hinterland, like Mudgeeraba, where we live-and this has a very nice small town feel With 450k for a 4 bed house you probably will be limited to certain areas so look inland, and in the middle as well as north or south!

Personally I prefer being in easy travelling distance of the shopping centre of robina in the south, but theres lots of people happy in the north too, some think far north NSW (ie far south)has a reputation of being where a lot of older people live, so check them out for yourself
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:00 pm

thanks for the info didnt mean to hijack your thread.
were heading for the gold coast hopefully end of may robina is the place i think we will start off in but wont know were we will stay long term till we have a look round when do you get to go anyway.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

thanks for the info didnt mean to hijack your thread.
were heading for the gold coast hopefully end of may robina is the place i think we will start off in but wont know were we will stay long term till we have a look round when do you get to go anyway.
Lesley don't get put off Bexps by some people....its great for people trying to find out stuff before u come but you need thick skin to survive this site too!!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:30 pm
I've got time . . . . .

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
Lesley don't get put off Bexps by some people....its great for people trying to find out stuff before u come but you need thick skin to survive this site too!!
I'm sorry if I came across as a bit rude, I've got to email my boss back today so I was scared the thread was going to turn into a gold coast versus sunshine coast one- plus I'd just come in off nights and I was tired.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tinaj
If you want to be near a real city like Brisbane it is worth considering the Northern end it only takes us around 40 mins to get into Brisbane if we want to see shows etc or grab a bit of culture!!
We kicked off in Upper Coomera (full of investment properties and most houses have unprivate gardens), currently in Coomera Waters which is lovely, but too expensive for us and we're heading towards skint VERY fast! ... and end of the month move to Ormeau.

Not sure if your 450k is £ or $ but $450k will get you typical 4 bed with 1.5 acres in Ormeau .... well, almost!

Ormeau we have just fallen in love with, and it's pretty much half way between Surfers and Brissie!

Only got experience of the Northern end, but we like it here. To be honest we like pretty much ALL of The Gold Coast we've seen, well, apart from the Southport / Labrador border! ...
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:42 pm
I've got time . . . . .

Thank you everyone else, 450k is a gude price. We can go higher but we'd rather we were sensible with out mortgage. We'd be taking approx £140k with us, I don't want a silly mortgage.

I guess the time in the rental will clarify things for us, negotiating where I work could be a longer lasting decision than areas where I rent/live initially.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.