Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having to move for the weather....but where

Having to move for the weather....but where

Old May 8th 2010, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having to move for the weather....but where

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi there

I would agree with the others that you adapt to the heat (wherever!) and then when winter kicks in you are freezing at 18-20!

We are in Melbourne and we've had a lovely Summer but this last couple of weeks it's dropped down to 18 and I'm wearing my thick cardie only reserved for snowy days in the UK!!!!

My first few cold days out here were a real shock and why....because the Aussies have yet to master warm houses. Insulation is a relatively new word here so sometimes it's actually warmer outside than in.

So my advice is yes, head north and make sure you get a warm house - maybe with a woodburner for the winter etc. Down here in VIC we have warm air heating from ceiling ducts which is basically a waste of time as it's warm whilst it's on but then is cold within 10 minutes of it turning off. You may as well burn $s to keep warm here.....mutter, mutter, moan, moan!

However, when I visited Brissie a few years back I was most disappointed to arrive on a really cold day (in Feb!) and was freezing. I also once had to buy a sweatshirt in Alice Springs because it was only 15 degrees (in Feb)...maybe it's me Anyway, the point is don't be fooled these places get cold as well!

Good luck with your move, part of our move was for better, warmer weather as I feel the cold to extremes and 90% of the time it is better - just need to head north for the winter . We have been back to the UK each year which helps shorten the winter although sometimes it's the same temperatures! MIL has to put the heating on for me in Summer which doesn't go down too well as I'm just so cold in her house!
Re your examples about Brisbane and Darwin I'm not sure if anyone would be fooled into thinking somewhere can never have a cold day, just that the averages are high? It is the crazy world of weather we are talking about after all
Old May 8th 2010, 5:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fish.01
Re your examples about Brisbane and Darwin I'm not sure if anyone would be fooled into thinking somewhere can never have a cold day, just that the averages are high? It is the crazy world of weather we are talking about after all
That comes down to definition of "cold"

It turned very cold here the other day, but I still wear shorts and short sleeve shirt, even though I complained about it feeling very cold. Some would say it was freezing, actually some did ! It was about 15c.

In England I used to wear an overcoat in Winter, in NSW I wore a leather jacket, but here in QLD, I don't even own a jumper anymore, just a lightweight jacket for the odd occasions.

Old May 8th 2010, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You sound a bit like me. I used to be really ill in the UK winter. Am now at the south end of the GC and after nearly five years actually find that the winter days and especially nights to be colder than I like although as has been said the temps don't often get below 18-20 during the day but for some reason 18-20 here is much colder than in the UK. It's what you get used to.
Ultimately that 18-20 is the daily max. I suppose that's part of it.

I suggest the OP needs to stay in the tropics or follow your example!
Old May 8th 2010, 6:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola27
We are wanting to leave the uk and hoping move to oz. I have done loads of research into the different states, house prices, activities available, jobs etc.

One of the main reasons for wanting to move is for the heat. I have a condition that is hugely affected by the cold weather. I'm sure that oz would offer me and my family a wonderful life where I dont have to stay indoors most of the time.
|Does anyone know what the weather is like in queensland during the winter months. I'm sure its lovely to have days of rain, but is it often?
Climate, etc, at http://www.bom.gov.au

You say you don't like heat, but what about extreme heat? Would that bother you? Or what about humidity?
Old May 8th 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Climate, etc, at http://www.bom.gov.au

You say you don't like heat, but what about extreme heat? Would that bother you? Or what about humidity?
I do like the heat, humidty seems to be good for me too. Thanks for the link

Old May 8th 2010, 11:27 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

The downside is that the houses in qld are not designed for the cold. They aren't air sealed, and little heating. It might be 22C outside now, but the house is about 17C.

We got a little log burner after a couple of years, and some people have reverse cycle a/c.

Outside, not a cloud in the sky. Could wear t-shirt and shorts, but you still get use to the weather, and start to feel the cold at 20C.

Summers great if you're a office worker, less so if you're having to manual work. Even the pets slow down for summer. Light rain is no worries, it rains, you get your t-shirt wet, 10 mins later you're dry and warm.
Old May 9th 2010, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Icegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant future

What you want to do is look at the stats, that'll give you all you need. Compare that with the UK, add in a bit of folk saying you'll never be too hot/too cold in the specific part of Oz they have chosen and you'll be set.

I'd say make sure you can spell heating, and Air con, surprising how many folk can't.

Oh, and no word of a lie, Scottish weather is far easier to deal with than that of Perth. And no, I can't talk long term of other places, and I won't bother mentioning Kalgoorlie or the other even smaller places I lived as not many folk are heading there.
Scotland is set up for the weather, Perth just isn't, neither cold or hot. It was fab in Autumn and Spring, other than that, very unpleasant, winter particularly. Short maybe, but who wants to be permanently cold for 2 months?
Old May 9th 2010, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllGoode
Yallawalla, Yallwalla, Yip, Yip, Yah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I spent the first few years of my life in Marble Bar and still have family in the area - I wouldn't recommend it as choice living. Broome might be a bit better option.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icegirl

Oh, and no word of a lie, Scottish weather is far easier to deal with than that of Perth. And no, I can't talk long term of other places, and I won't bother mentioning Kalgoorlie or the other even smaller places I lived as not many folk are heading there.
Scotland is set up for the weather, Perth just isn't, neither cold or hot. It was fab in Autumn and Spring, other than that, very unpleasant, winter particularly. Short maybe, but who wants to be permanently cold for 2 months?
That's for you, many people have no such problem and don't find Summer and Winter unpleasant.
Old May 9th 2010, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola27
I do like the heat, humidty seems to be good for me too. Thanks for the link

We moved to Cairns for the weather, my husband was in need of all year warmth!
That said, we are early into autumn & thought it chilly this evening although we are still in shorts & t-shirt! It certainly does not get cold like other places further south but you do need to be able to cope with the humidity of summer. (A/C makes that bearable!)
In terms of culture & activities, there are other places in Aus I would rather live but for year round temp, Cairns is the place to be
Old May 10th 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

There's lots of warm and sunny places in WA too. In Perth winter mornings can be very cold (we even have a few mornings of almost zero) until about 9-10 am, when the sun warms everything up. We do get cold fronts coming in, and it might rain for about 5 days, but the winter here is short and wet, with fine, sunny weather the rest of the year, all the way up the scale to bloody hot 40+ degrees.

I think the key to keeping warm in Australia is partly insulation, but mostly orientation. We have designed our house to let the winter sun into the kitchen/living/study area downstairs, and 2 bedrooms and another living area upstairs. There are big windows on the northern side plus eastern side in the living room. We never need heating on during the day and you can sit in the living area and study in a t-shirt. As the winter sun moves around mid-afternoon, it hits the windows of the lounge room, but we do use a heater in there in the evenings.

I've lived in Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth in winter and it's incredible how cold you can feel, even though you know the temp is actually quite mild. Brisbane was very cold, as I was living in an old worker's cottage on stilts, in a bedroom on the verandah with 3 external walls - freezing. About 10 years ago I turned up at work in a bush-type setting in inner Perth, to find the groundsman bending down to touch the grass. I wondered what he was up to, then as I got out of the car I realised that there was frost and he told me that he had never seen it before.

If you go out in the winter sun for a walk, it soon warms you up, plus you get some Vitamin D and exercise (still possible to burn in winter, though). Plenty of paths along the coast or around the river. It's also milder living near the coast, although you might not enjoy the strong winds you can get in WA.
Old May 10th 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everyone for your post. I found all the info very helpful but now have a lot of thinking to do. Think we might start off in QLD (northern) and see how we go.
Old May 10th 2010, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Icegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant futureIcegirl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's for you, many people have no such problem and don't find Summer and Winter unpleasant.
Gosh yes it is for me, ir would be a tad weird to post someone else's opinion no?

Either way, I think the weather in the UK is easier to live with.
Not necessarily better, that's subjective but certainly catered for, and more affordable.