Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having to move for the weather....but where

Having to move for the weather....but where

Old May 7th 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Having to move for the weather....but where

We are wanting to leave the uk and hoping move to oz. I have done loads of research into the different states, house prices, activities available, jobs etc.

One of the main reasons for wanting to move is for the heat. I have a condition that is hugely affected by the cold weather. I'm sure that oz would offer me and my family a wonderful life where I dont have to stay indoors most of the time.
|Does anyone know what the weather is like in queensland during the winter months. I'm sure its lovely to have days of rain, but is it often?

Thanks
Nicola
Old May 7th 2010, 9:41 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having to move for the weather....but where

Queensland's a big place Nicola. And yes it rains. But how much and at what time of year depends where you go.

South west and central QLD have been in drought for many years but then they have just had major floods. North Queensland is tropical so you get a wet season, coastal QLD is humid in summer and very hot but rainfall varies.

One thing though is that its always warm - I was in South East QLD at Easter and it was 30 degrees every day - will rarely get days below 20 even in Winter.

But - to get a proper answer - you need to pick somewhere. The climates here change from region to region.

Old May 7th 2010, 9:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nicola27
We are wanting to leave the uk and hoping move to oz. I have done loads of research into the different states, house prices, activities available, jobs etc.

One of the main reasons for wanting to move is for the heat. I have a condition that is hugely affected by the cold weather. I'm sure that oz would offer me and my family a wonderful life where I dont have to stay indoors most of the time.
|Does anyone know what the weather is like in queensland during the winter months. I'm sure its lovely to have days of rain, but is it often?

Thanks
Nicola
I like it where I am, never too hot, and rarely too cold. Rain ? After a few years without it, it is nice to see some again.

In July 2008 we had 2 days of rain, one day was 3.4mm the other was 0.2mm.
In July 2009 we had 13 days when it rained. 9 days under 0.2mm, days under 1.00mm and one day of 4.02mm
This July ?? It will be interesting to see.

When we get rain, it seems to come down all once, not the drizzle that I hated. It has been pretty wet recently though.

Old May 7th 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that. really useful info for me. We was planning on moving to gold coast, round the pimpama area. We have friends there who will put us up til we get settled. I dont mind the rain but the cold weather here really affects me. During the winter I'm pretty much house bound and struggle with daily tasks. So for mew the hotter the better
Old May 7th 2010, 10:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You sound a bit like me. I used to be really ill in the UK winter. Am now at the south end of the GC and after nearly five years actually find that the winter days and especially nights to be colder than I like although as has been said the temps don't often get below 18-20 during the day but for some reason 18-20 here is much colder than in the UK. It's what you get used to.

Normally, because it's a sub tropical climate we should have most of the rain in Summer but this Autumn has been one of the wettest for a long long time but rain in Winter is few and far between, just beautiful clear, warm days. Nights however can get down to between 5-10 and it feels bloody freezing simply because the houses generally aren't built to keep the heat in.

I think if I had the money and the freedom I'd do eight months here and the four months of Winter much further north but I don't so I'll stick to here and make sure we have plenty of wood for the burner and my very heavy UK winter duvet ready and waiting.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Nicola
As others have said in a sub tropical climate you don't get much rain in winter. The days are usually lovely cloudless sky with the average monthly max daytime temperature never dropping below 20c all through winter. Nights can be cold though.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
As others have said in a sub tropical climate you don't get much rain in winter. The days are usually lovely cloudless sky with the average monthly max daytime temperature never dropping below 20c all through winter. Nights can be cold though.
Afer a few years in Queensland most people acclimatise, and the weather which seemed warm in the UK gets labelled as freezing here. Cool nights in Brisbane now, its 11.30 now and 14 degrees, and to me thats perfect, but the Aussies are moaning that the weather has turned cold, so be warned.

Also, please please remember the incessant air con here - offices, shops etc, - its quite usual, in summer to take a fleece or a jacket to put on when indoors, and offices and workplaces are usually so cold that you need to wear a suit jacket or a jumper.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Afer a few years in Queensland most people acclimatise, and the weather which seemed warm in the UK gets labelled as freezing here. Cool nights in Brisbane now, its 11.30 now and 14 degrees, and to me thats perfect, but the Aussies are moaning that the weather has turned cold, so be warned.

Also, please please remember the incessant air con here - offices, shops etc, - its quite usual, in summer to take a fleece or a jacket to put on when indoors, and offices and workplaces are usually so cold that you need to wear a suit jacket or a jumper.
Yeah, the nights will definitely feel cold. In our family I find the blows in (UK and Canada) actually complain the most about the winter nights. The Aussies in our family grew up without heating or cooling so are used to taking what comes. Not without whinging of course - but we don't wrap up like an eskimo like the two who grew up with central heating.

I still appreciate the beautiful mild dry winter days though...love them long time. After all these years I can still be walking along the road when a feeling of gratitude will wash over and remind me of the great weather
Old May 7th 2010, 2:04 pm
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Heat, Iron Clad Hotel and kangaroo kalderetta:

Old May 7th 2010, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AllGoode
Heat, Iron Clad Hotel and kangaroo kalderetta:

....[/URL]
No overcrowding/traffic issues either
Old May 7th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding moving for the weather, the only thing to bear in mind is it does get cold here. After a few months your body adapts to the climate here and you will feel the cold in winter.

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago when I was sat freezing in my house. In the UK you have to deal with the cold winters, in aus you have to deal with to hot sumers as well as cold winters. It kind of put things in perspective for me.
Old May 7th 2010, 10:22 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Nicola
Don't move to Tasmania, victoria or southern NSW, it gets quite cold in winter. l think Cairns , townsville and Darwin never gets cold and is warm all year round. Brisbane might get a little bit cold in winter,
Old May 7th 2010, 10:23 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave99
Regarding moving for the weather, the only thing to bear in mind is it does get cold here. After a few months your body adapts to the climate here and you will feel the cold in winter.

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago when I was sat freezing in my house. In the UK you have to deal with the cold winters, in aus you have to deal with to hot sumers as well as cold winters. It kind of put things in perspective for me.
In the northern tropical part of OZ it never gets cold.
Old May 7th 2010, 10:28 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

It feels Brass Monkeys this morning but it'll soon warm up ... still in shorts and t-shirt though ... Winter cricket season starts tomorrow ... wooo - hooooooo!
Old May 7th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I would agree with the others that you adapt to the heat (wherever!) and then when winter kicks in you are freezing at 18-20!

We are in Melbourne and we've had a lovely Summer but this last couple of weeks it's dropped down to 18 and I'm wearing my thick cardie only reserved for snowy days in the UK!!!!

My first few cold days out here were a real shock and why....because the Aussies have yet to master warm houses. Insulation is a relatively new word here so sometimes it's actually warmer outside than in.

So my advice is yes, head north and make sure you get a warm house - maybe with a woodburner for the winter etc. Down here in VIC we have warm air heating from ceiling ducts which is basically a waste of time as it's warm whilst it's on but then is cold within 10 minutes of it turning off. You may as well burn $s to keep warm here.....mutter, mutter, moan, moan!

However, when I visited Brissie a few years back I was most disappointed to arrive on a really cold day (in Feb!) and was freezing. I also once had to buy a sweatshirt in Alice Springs because it was only 15 degrees (in Feb)...maybe it's me Anyway, the point is don't be fooled these places get cold as well!

Good luck with your move, part of our move was for better, warmer weather as I feel the cold to extremes and 90% of the time it is better - just need to head north for the winter . We have been back to the UK each year which helps shorten the winter although sometimes it's the same temperatures! MIL has to put the heating on for me in Summer which doesn't go down too well as I'm just so cold in her house!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.