Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having a baby in Australia has any one had one !!!

Having a baby in Australia has any one had one !!!

Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:20 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Having a baby in Australia has any one had one !!!

Originally Posted by JAJ
A lot depends on your visa. Permanent or temporary?
we are getting the skilled migration visa as far as i know its permanent
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:30 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kez81
I agree but with baby number 1 i had a very long labour and i tore badly im hoping for a natural birth with this one due on tuesday but they have said if i have difficultly they will consider a section hopefully it wont come to that but i know i dont want to tear that bad again there are pro's and con's of both i dont agree with the likes of Posh with there elective sections though without any medical reason behind it.
i agree also
i had an emergency section with my first baby he went in to fetal distress his oxygen levels were to low luckily for us he was ok. but one section is enough i never want to have another one again onless i really needed it. i had an epoisitomy(probably spelt that wrong sorry) on my second and that hurt like hell but third time a charm short labour only gas and air and baby born after 15 minutes of pushing ild do that again tomorrow

ild say you'll be fine your body remembers what to do i had a great midwife with my son and when i was fighting the urge to push as i was afraid it was to soon and i would end up pushing for two hours like my second son she said to listen to my body and go with it and i dint need any stitches at all tiny tear but i never even noticed

good luck
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:38 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Baby75
i agree also
i had an emergency section with my first baby he went in to fetal distress his oxygen levels were to low luckily for us he was ok. but one section is enough i never want to have another one again onless i really needed it. i had an epoisitomy(probably spelt that wrong sorry) on my second and that hurt like hell but third time a charm short labour only gas and air and baby born after 15 minutes of pushing ild do that again tomorrow

ild say you'll be fine your body remembers what to do i had a great midwife with my son and when i was fighting the urge to push as i was afraid it was to soon and i would end up pushing for two hours like my second son she said to listen to my body and go with it and i dint need any stitches at all tiny tear but i never even noticed

good luck
Thanks!!!

if its the skilled 136 your PR thats the visa we have.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I went private and had to pay a few things- some scans (much of which was refunded by medicare) the obs insurance which was pricey at 900 bucks and not refundable. That's because of the ridiculous premiums for obs practices!

Also had to pay 320 bucks for the pediatrician to glance at my baby...

I had an emergency Ceasarian which was not an easy option ( why do people say it is???) as the baby was stuck and was not coming out any other way. 6 weeks of no driving/unable to lift anything and constant antibiotics as I had an infection. Still the bub is worth it!

My mate is a midwife at a public hospital and they do amazing follow up care. The midwives come out and see you at home to check all is well- think they make 3 visits AND you stay in hospital for up to 4/5 days (if you are happy to) so in my mind, public/medicare hospitals are better!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:18 am
Banned

ozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really nice

Someone must have had a baby in OZ otherwise it would have a very small population
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozlord
Someone must have had a baby in OZ otherwise it would have a very small population
Good ''comeback''...
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

I have had 2 emergency c sections and would need another one if I had anymore kids .With my first one I was treated like dirt as I was 18 at the time. I was in quite a bit of pain but was told to stop acting like a baby (later found out I had an infection in the scar) My second one was born at 10.58pm on a Thursday and I was kicked out of hospital at 11am on the Sunday, with no pain relief as they had run out. Wards were run down and dirty, flaky paint, toilets not cleaned etc. I hope that if we do have anymore when we get to OZ the experience is a bit better.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:12 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

I wa living in Sydney and had my first (and only) child at Royal Womens in Randwick. Initially I found things a bit awkward getting into the system for scans ect and as one expat said "welcome to self service". However, once I was in and had a 20 week scan ($220), things just got better and better! The level of care 1-1 was unbelievable. I had slight spotting at 30 weeks (nothing unusual) and they insisted I stayed in the ante natal ward (private room, ect) all free on medicare. My midwife, came on her day off to help me labour! When I needed an epidural I only had to wait 5 mins, anytime I asked to see a doctor when labouring the longest I had to wait was about 10mins!! After bub was born I didn't feel like I was coping so they moved me to a private room so hubby could stay every night for support (visitig hours didn't apply anyway, unlike most hospitals here in the UK). At the moment we are in the UK, but are moving back to OZ next year and can't wait to have another baby over there. Also I made great mum friends from mumsense ( a mothers group ran by the hospital), and as for breastfeeding the support was out of this world and after the initial soreness, it really worked for me and I loved it that I could BF anywhere without the looks that I got when I moved back here. People would stare at me as though I had just smaked my child rather than given her some food. Not sure where you will be living but I found anybooks by "Robin Barker" to help. Also the DVD'd the "little things" by Antonia Kidman 0-2yrs gives a good indication of the Aussie way of having a baby. Good Luck
Carla