Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have Visa, but potentially not going :-(

Have Visa, but potentially not going :-(

Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have Visa, but potentially not going :-(

Originally Posted by bcworld
If we're going to quote fares by the km does it matter?
What is the cost of a monthly Myki ticket in Melbourne and how far can you travel on it?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:59 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
What is the cost of a monthly Myki ticket in Melbourne and how far can you travel on it?
What was it you said?

Here's a tip. Google. Try it out.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mavine1
Cinema not cheap there either then....but to be honest cinema here for us is last resort when it's chucking it down so hopefully I won't need to go there much in Oz

ALthough I hear Queensland is experiencing alot of rain at the moment....I am hoping someone will turn off the taps before we get there

mav
Expected to be the wettest summer for many years
Old Nov 27th 2010, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mavine1
Cinema not cheap there either then....but to be honest cinema here for us is last resort when it's chucking it down so hopefully I won't need to go there much in Oz

ALthough I hear Queensland is experiencing alot of rain at the moment....I am hoping someone will turn off the taps before we get there

mav
In Brisbane, in the sub-tropics, Autumn, Winter, Spring are seasons when the taps are usually turned off - not this year though

I loved it as a kid in a Qld summer cause usually it would only rain late afternoon in one huge downpour so still plenty of dry times during each day - not annoying drizzly cold rain. A hat, plenty of sunscreen and you're off.

The rain can sometimes set in for days but that is not the usual case. Because the rain was warm we would still play in it and have a great time but not sure about kids these days?

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 27th 2010 at 11:18 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
What was it you said?

Here's a tip. Google. Try it out.
Yeah already did that and was just wondering what you would write. Looks like Melbourne too is considerably cheaper per km than the UK - I think all Australian cities are surprise surprise. As these metros work by time spent on the line you must live quite close to your work to make it the price you pay. And that is very much your choice. In Britain you pay for a specific journey, not time spent on the train. It makes a real difference because if you live out in the 'burbs where most people do you pay a very low fare to get in every day. This thread seems to demonstrate quite clearly that most Australian metro journeys are cheaper than their UK equivalents, which is what I expected. I think British train travel is some of the most expensive on the planet so I am not surprised, although I do admire anyone willing to take on the tough job of defending it.

Last edited by Seneca21; Nov 28th 2010 at 8:55 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:01 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah already did that and was just wondering what you would write. Looks like Melbourne too is considerably cheaper per km than the UK - I think all Australian cities are surprise surprise. As these metros work by time spent on the line you must live quite close to your work to make it the price you pay. And that is very much your choice. In Britain you pay for a specific journey, not time spent on the train. It makes a real difference because if you live out in the 'burbs where most people do you pay a very low fare to get in every day.
You've pretty much completely lost me now.

If train fares are based on time and not distance why did you introduce the price / km measure?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:07 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

And that is very much your choice.
Yes, some people choose to pay for expensive transport.

Like those who decide to live in Bristol but work in London? I know I wouldn't do that.