Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken their driving test in WA?

Has anyone taken their driving test in WA?

Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future
Default Has anyone taken their driving test in WA?

My friend is coming over on a WHV and she has just failed her second driving test here in the UK. She can drive but she has failed over stupid things that must be down to nerves on the day. Has anyone/know anyone who has taken their test in Oz? Is it expensive? If she did pass in Oz would the licence be valid/transferable to a UK licence once she came back?
Thanks,
Kel
Old Sep 1st 2005, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Has anyone taken their driving test in WA?

Hi, I learned to drive & took my test here. I can't remember the prices (&they've probably gone up since as it was about 20 months ago). You have to take a computerised theory test first, then a practical test which was surprisingly easy after what my instructor had warned about. However, it's not over then, you have to still drive supervised & keep a log book for so many hours (think it was 200). When you've done that you get to take another computerised test, the hazard perception. Then, if you pass that you are let loose on the roads with "P" plates, for 2 years!

Just found this

Phase 1
Road Rules Theory Test
Obtain your Phase 1 Learners Permit
One Practical driving assessment
$53.50
Phase 2
Obtain your Phase 2 Learners Permit
Receive your log book
One Hazard Perception Test
$25.20
When you have passed your Hazard Perception Test you will receive your provisional ("P") drivers licence. $33.80

Resit fee

practical driving assessment $27.40
hazard perception test $15.50

There's more on the website
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/l...ate/index.html

Hope this helps.

Loopy
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

nfernand is an unknown quantity at this point

I presume you could convert an Auss license to a British. I got my Aussi license by just showing my British license.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nfernand
I presume you could convert an Auss license to a British. I got my Aussi license by just showing my British license.
Yes you can. A full Australian licence can be swapped to a UK one if you come to the UK to live. (My wife did it)

I think that passing the test here in Australia is easier than in the UK (My wife passed in NSW ) oops

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:44 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I also learned to drive and passed my test here in WA.
All of the costs that loopy posted are about the same as what I paid so they can't have changed that much.
The log book is a bit of a pain but really doesn't take that long (I only had to log 25 hours) Dunno if that has changed in the past year??

I'm still a "P plater" and I'm not sure how a provisional license would translate should you go back to the UK before attaining your full license. Probably better to wait until it's a full license to avoid problems.

BUT, I also paid for instruction. About 12 lessons at $35.00 an hour, THAT can add up!

Siren
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

The log book is a bit of a pain but really doesn't take that long (I only had to log 25 hours) Dunno if that has changed in the past year??

Siren[/QUOTE]

OOOPs! You are quite right Siren, it was only 25 hours. Must have just seemed soooooooo much longer with Mr Loopy sat beside me at the wheel

Loopy
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:43 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loopy

Siren

OOOPs! You are quite right Siren, it was only 25 hours. Must have just seemed soooooooo much longer with Mr Loopy sat beside me at the wheel

Loopy [/QUOTE]

LMAO I know the feeling! With my instructor I was fine, with the kids...no probs, driving my friends around or by myself...easy peasy BUT driving with Brian even NOW makes me nervous! He's a much more agressive driver than I am and has no patience for my more cautious way of driving.
Men!

Siren