Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone DIY dog to Oz?

Has anyone DIY dog to Oz?

Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Has anyone DIY dog to Oz?

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Right, we are no longer going to DIY our dog to Oz. We have looked in to everything and made a few phonecalls. BA no longer allow DIY dog flights, you must use an agent. Qantas came back at £2845 for the flight and vet check before flight including box sealing.
We have had a couple of quotes from Goden Arrow and Airpets both coming in at £2600 so it looks like that's the cheaper option. However I'm going to see if I can get the price knocked down a bit as I already have the export licence and import permit. I'll let you know how I go on with the bartering. I'm also going to take a look at parair as they've ben recommended on this site aswell.
Marie
yes, they (par air) are our cheapest quote, along with animal airlines. good luck
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:22 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Me again lol

We used Airpets and our dog arrived safe and well. However, my mum who took him down to Heathrow for us (we travelled ahead) wasnt overally impressed with the staff. Our dog had to stay the night before (part of the procedure) and the kennel they gave him was dark and had no bed. The lady also commented on the fact that if their busy they wont walk him prior to the flight.

Now, dont get me wrong he arrived happy and not exactly dying for the loo, more hungry ha ha but if the moneys the same go with Golden Arrow - different set up and friends got the impression that the guy who runs it really cares - not the impression my mum got from Airpets.

Dont worry about your dog travelling over - when ours came out his box you would of thought he had only be in their 5 mins lol..... jetlag was a bugger mind you ha ha
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:48 pm
off to Byron Bay....

loidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the rough

hi scottish, interesting to hear how your dog got on. where abouts did he go to quarantine? and was he alright there and did you visit him or not?????? loads of questions i know but this is the part i am dreading! x loidy
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:55 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottish
Me again lol

We used Airpets and our dog arrived safe and well. However, my mum who took him down to Heathrow for us (we travelled ahead) wasnt overally impressed with the staff. Our dog had to stay the night before (part of the procedure) and the kennel they gave him was dark and had no bed. The lady also commented on the fact that if their busy they wont walk him prior to the flight.

Now, dont get me wrong he arrived happy and not exactly dying for the loo, more hungry ha ha but if the moneys the same go with Golden Arrow - different set up and friends got the impression that the guy who runs it really cares - not the impression my mum got from Airpets.

Dont worry about your dog travelling over - when ours came out his box you would of thought he had only be in their 5 mins lol..... jetlag was a bugger mind you ha ha
Its good to hear that - what breed is your dog? My dog Poppy is a collie x of some sort - she can be quite nervous when travelling so thats really worrying me.
Lynn
Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:44 pm

Afternoon guys

We moved to NZ so no quarantine for us.... picked our boy up at 5am at Auckland airport and took him straight down to Tauranga.

Our dog is a Retriever/Collie X (cat and dog home special). Like yours a bit nervous but honestly he was fine. Whilst we were doing his paperwork I took him out for a walk and he wasnt interesting just wanted a big cuddle. When teh flight came in from Auckland there were 5 other dogs on board. All seemed fine.

We had to come home early this year and I was dreading putting him back in the cage but again no worries and when he arrived in Glasgow he wasnt fazed at all, just wanted the big bowl of brown rice and chicken my mum had made him.

Dont worry about them, our dog is spoilt rotten and he was none the worse for wear. Remember to try and put a think blanket in with them that has been lying about teh house with them, just for security.

The cabin temp is the same as the animal hold and they turn the lights off to keep the animals chilled. We used Air NZ via LA going out and Quantas via Singapore coming back. Bit nervous about going back via Singapore due the heat but it was a nightime flight.

Its acutally quite funny but now when a plane goes overhead he looks up then looks at us .... wonder whats hes thinking ha ha
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:26 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

For those of you wanting to ship pets, I've just found this.

http://www.moggies.co.uk/services/pet_move.html

We shipped our dog with Golden Arrow [see address/tel details on page one of this Expats thread...Dolly Daydreams post]

Fantastic service and no probs ......so don't worry.

Good luck

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Jun 10th 2005 at 1:30 pm.

Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:14 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottish
Afternoon guys

We moved to NZ so no quarantine for us.... picked our boy up at 5am at Auckland airport and took him straight down to Tauranga.

Our dog is a Retriever/Collie X (cat and dog home special). Like yours a bit nervous but honestly he was fine. Whilst we were doing his paperwork I took him out for a walk and he wasnt interesting just wanted a big cuddle. When teh flight came in from Auckland there were 5 other dogs on board. All seemed fine.

We had to come home early this year and I was dreading putting him back in the cage but again no worries and when he arrived in Glasgow he wasnt fazed at all, just wanted the big bowl of brown rice and chicken my mum had made him.

Dont worry about them, our dog is spoilt rotten and he was none the worse for wear. Remember to try and put a think blanket in with them that has been lying about teh house with them, just for security.

The cabin temp is the same as the animal hold and they turn the lights off to keep the animals chilled. We used Air NZ via LA going out and Quantas via Singapore coming back. Bit nervous about going back via Singapore due the heat but it was a nightime flight.

Its acutally quite funny but now when a plane goes overhead he looks up then looks at us .... wonder whats hes thinking ha ha
Poppy is from Cardonald cat and dog home glasgow!!! She is 5 years old now and a collie x with something - don't know what - maybe a jack russel or something! Thanks for your reply - I feel a lot more reasurred now although i'm still gonna be very nervous about the whole thing - at least your boy didn't have to do quarantine for NZ - why on earth can't Oz do the same!!? Poppy has 30 days quarantine to do

Lynn
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:57 am

Lynn, small world, Mischief is also at Cardonald Cat and Dog Home, brought him home 9 years ago.

If I can help in anyway at all just ask.