British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Has anyone DIY dog to Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/has-anyone-diy-dog-oz-306269/)

68MEVY Jun 1st 2005 2:46 pm

Has anyone DIY dog to Oz?

Hi, I've searched threads and posted questions and I still don't know what to do.
Has anyone sucessfully done a DIY for a dog from UK to Oz?
The reason I ask is that we are looking at doing it but can't get all the info we need.
We already have the import permit and a local vet to do cert A.
We understand cert B must be done at the airport which isn't a problem, I'm assuming we can just make an appointment before the flight.
I can't remember and don't seem to be able to find the onfo regarding how to work out the size of the box needed, so if anyone can point me in the right direction.................?
Also the water container business, has to have a funnel or something to enable refilling, is this a standard bowl and funnel? Are they attatched to each other? How do you prevent the bowl from moving? If it is a special sort of contraption then where can we get one from?
Shredded paper? I can remember reading on another post that an item of clothing or a small sheet can go into the box with the dog but the box must also have shredded paper in it, are there rules on the type or amount?
Might sound like silly questions but we want to make sure we get it right, we're opting for DIY to save us money as we're going skint and want to cut corners on cost as much as possible. Leaving the dog behind isn't an option as she's part of the family, a wonderful dog and we rescued her and knowing no one that wants a dog we do not want to have to give her to any old sole knowing she could be mistreated again.

Cheers, Marie

lynnlovessun Jun 1st 2005 5:54 pm

Re: Has anyone DIY dog to Oz?

Sent you an e-mail with some info that I had been given before,

Lynn x

skyblue Jun 1st 2005 6:34 pm

can you send me a pm too please, would like the info too.

ta.

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun

Lynn x

68MEVY Jun 1st 2005 7:06 pm

Lynn x

Thanks ever so much, it's very useful info.
Tried to send you some k but gotta spread a bit first so will try again at a later date.
Marie

scottish Jun 1st 2005 8:34 pm

We never DIY our dog to OZ but for the crate you have to make sure it agrees with IATA standards. If im right in saying that dont cost alot to buy and if you want to be cheeky get in touch with your local International Airport they have tons of them that they will dump if the owner dosent collect. When we collected our dog from Glasgow they had loads of them and were trying to give them away.

As well as the shredded paper you are allowed to put in the box a jumper or light weight blanket to help the dog with usual smells etc. For the shredded paper why dont you try and blag some from the office shredder, spot on for a comfy bed for a dog.

I know money may be tight but I have never heard of anyone doing it themselves, why not try Golden Arrow they may surprise you with the quote.

claire33 Jun 1st 2005 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by scottish
We never DIY our dog to OZ but for the crate you have to make sure it agrees with IATA standards. If im right in saying that dont cost alot to buy and if you want to be cheeky get in touch with your local International Airport they have tons of them that they will dump if the owner dosent collect. When we collected our dog from Glasgow they had loads of them and were trying to give them away.

As well as the shredded paper you are allowed to put in the box a jumper or light weight blanket to help the dog with usual smells etc. For the shredded paper why dont you try and blag some from the office shredder, spot on for a comfy bed for a dog.

I know money may be tight but I have never heard of anyone doing it themselves, why not try Golden Arrow they may surprise you with the quote.

Hi,

could you give me the website for golden arrow please.

thanks
Claire

DollyDaydream Jun 1st 2005 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by claire33
Hi,

could you give me the website for golden arrow please.

thanks
Claire

Hi Claire,

Golden Arrow don't have a website, just an address and contact number:

Golden Arrow Shippers
Horsford Kennels
Lydbury North
Shropshire SY7 8DY

Tel: 01588 680240

D D

claire33 Jun 1st 2005 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi Claire,

Golden Arrow don't have a website, just an address and contact number:

Golden Arrow Shippers
Horsford Kennels
Lydbury North
Shropshire SY7 8DY

Tel: 01588 680240

D D

Hi,

Thanks for that, will give them a call tomorrow.

Claire

68MEVY Jun 2nd 2005 7:24 am

Originally Posted by scottish

Thanks for the info Scottish, I'll try to send you some k in a mo. I'll get onto the airports later on because we're looking at £140 for the container as we have a large dog.
We tried Golden Arrow but they came back at £2600.
Marie

ahoy Jun 5th 2005 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi, I've searched threads and posted questions and I still don't know what to do.
Has anyone sucessfully done a DIY for a dog from UK to Oz?
The reason I ask is that we are looking at doing it but can't get all the info we need.
We already have the import permit and a local vet to do cert A.
We understand cert B must be done at the airport which isn't a problem, I'm assuming we can just make an appointment before the flight.
I can't remember and don't seem to be able to find the onfo regarding how to work out the size of the box needed, so if anyone can point me in the right direction.................?
Also the water container business, has to have a funnel or something to enable refilling, is this a standard bowl and funnel? Are they attatched to each other? How do you prevent the bowl from moving? If it is a special sort of contraption then where can we get one from?
Shredded paper? I can remember reading on another post that an item of clothing or a small sheet can go into the box with the dog but the box must also have shredded paper in it, are there rules on the type or amount?
Might sound like silly questions but we want to make sure we get it right, we're opting for DIY to save us money as we're going skint and want to cut corners on cost as much as possible. Leaving the dog behind isn't an option as she's part of the family, a wonderful dog and we rescued her and knowing no one that wants a dog we do not want to have to give her to any old sole knowing she could be mistreated again.

Cheers, Marie

hi 68mevy, just wondering how you OR ANYONE ELSE got on with your attempts to diy your dog. we are at the same stage now and had intended to diy but ba are now saying they don't take bookings from the public, only agents. had a few quotes from agents and one directly from quantas, they all come out about 3500 - 3800, including direct with quantas! (3800) you tried any other airlines? we are trying to save money desperately since our ipet nsurance expired last month so i didn't renew it because of the excess and then on thursday, the day we phoned ba, our younger dog took an overdose, eating all of the older dog's epilepsy tablets and was in a coma until yesterday. today she just about knows who we are and can lift her head but it looks like she is going to be ill for a long while if she survives. the vets were all pretty sure she wouldn't survive but she is a tough little dog so fingers crossed. it has been a nightmare. has made us realise how much they mean to us all. the vets bill will be horendous so we are even more desperate to be careful with the export of them. any help would be much appreciated. i have tried klm and royal brunei but they both have referred me to agents. our best quote has been from animal airlines at 3033 including the vet at the airport to seal the crates, the crates and handling charges. that's for two airedales. we actually have crates but i haven't checked yet how much less that would make it. i've a feeling it won't be much. how much can it cost to bulk make wooden crates?

anyway, sorry to go on. hope everything is going ok with you. i may have waffled but its all a bit stressful. having duckie in the hospital has certainly put the house sale and everything else in persepective.

lynnlovessun Jun 5th 2005 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by ahoy
hi 68mevy, just wondering how you OR ANYONE ELSE got on with your attempts to diy your dog. we are at the same stage now and had intended to diy but ba are now saying they don't take bookings from the public, only agents. had a few quotes from agents and one directly from quantas, they all come out about 3500 - 3800, including direct with quantas! (3800) you tried any other airlines? we are trying to save money desperately since our ipet nsurance expired last month so i didn't renew it because of the excess and then on thursday, the day we phoned ba, our younger dog took an overdose, eating all of the older dog's epilepsy tablets and was in a coma until yesterday. today she just about knows who we are and can lift her head but it looks like she is going to be ill for a long while if she survives. the vets were all pretty sure she wouldn't survive but she is a tough little dog so fingers crossed. it has been a nightmare. has made us realise how much they mean to us all. the vets bill will be horendous so we are even more desperate to be careful with the export of them. any help would be much appreciated. i have tried klm and royal brunei but they both have referred me to agents. our best quote has been from animal airlines at 3033 including the vet at the airport to seal the crates, the crates and handling charges. that's for two airedales. we actually have crates but i haven't checked yet how much less that would make it. i've a feeling it won't be much. how much can it cost to bulk make wooden crates?

anyway, sorry to go on. hope everything is going ok with you. i may have waffled but its all a bit stressful. having duckie in the hospital has certainly put the house sale and everything else in persepective.

So sorry to hear about what has happened with your dog - hope they recover OK :(
I understand it is very expensive but I wouldn't jepordise the safety and wellbeing of your dogs - BA and Quantas are the two main carriers of pets from the UK - you could never be sure of the quality procedures in place with other foreign airlines. I am pretty skint just now but to us we would of found the money to ship Poppy no matter what - she is like a member of the family and we wouldn't leave her - we are using what small profit we have made from our house sale to take her and I could see the total cost inc vets and quarantine totalling 2500 pounds.

I wish you all the best and hope you get everything sorted out soon - some of the pet shippers are excellent and will take a lot of the pressure off you.

Lynn

ahoy Jun 5th 2005 6:20 pm

So sorry to hear about what has happened with your dog - hope they recover OK :(
I understand it is very expensive but I wouldn't jepordise the safety and wellbeing of your dogs - BA and Quantas are the two main carriers of pets from the UK - you could never be sure of the quality procedures in place with other foreign airlines. I am pretty skint just now but to us we would of found the money to ship Poppy no matter what - she is like a member of the family and we wouldn't leave her - we are using what small profit we have made from our house sale to take her and I could see the total cost inc vets and quarantine totalling 2500 pounds.

I wish you all the best and hope you get everything sorted out soon - some of the pet shippers are excellent and will take a lot of the pressure off you.

Lynn

thanks, i do absolutely agree of course. i wouldn't send them with anyone i didn't trust. i'm going to send the furniture with the cheapest quote to save money but the dogs are different. just be interested to hear any tips. the agents must be making a profit so i'd quite like to cut them out. looks like the airlines are in cahoots though. they might have us by the short and curlies! you're right about the house sale. we're just going to pretend we took an offer 5000 less than we did!

Ransi Jun 5th 2005 6:50 pm

Lynn x

Could you pass it onto me purlease :)
V.Grateful...Ransi

lynnlovessun Jun 5th 2005 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ransi
Could you pass it onto me purlease :)
V.Grateful...Ransi

Done!

68MEVY Jun 8th 2005 7:18 pm

Right, we are no longer going to DIY our dog to Oz. We have looked in to everything and made a few phonecalls. BA no longer allow DIY dog flights, you must use an agent. Qantas came back at £2845 for the flight and vet check before flight including box sealing.
We have had a couple of quotes from Goden Arrow and Airpets both coming in at £2600 so it looks like that's the cheaper option. However I'm going to see if I can get the price knocked down a bit as I already have the export licence and import permit. I'll let you know how I go on with the bartering. I'm also going to take a look at parair as they've ben recommended on this site aswell.
Marie