Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anybody told everybody

Has anybody told everybody

Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:23 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anybody told everybody

I think everybody just about knows we are going to NZ now what with my hubby letting the cat out of the bag with his family and my sons telling the whole of the neighbourhood. I hope we go now, I will feel really silly if we dont
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:36 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

We're aiming for New Zealand. Decided a couple of months ago. Not even going to visit to make sure till May. But yes, have told everyone. My hubby did the honors as well. But what we always add, well I do anyway, is that we're going to see it first to make sure, then of course we don't know if we would be allowed, visa etc. I may not pass the medical yet!

My attitude is that this is definately what we would 'like' to do, if all goes to plan then great. I always mention that at the end of the day lots of people want to do this, but for some it just doesn't happen for lots of different reasons, not just cos they chicken out.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been telling everyone for 3 years we're going, even though for the first 2 we did nothing, and watched as the criteria got tightened, but of course we were busy travelling the world so it didn't seem so urgent. Only having come back to the UK a year ago to awful jobs did we finally do something. I think people had thought that we were never going to go, but it made us more determined, and now we're going!! Can't believe it, but I'm sure I will when I watch my first sunset over NZ!!
Old Sep 25th 2003, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Told the kids we were applying but that it would take a long time and that we might not get in.
Sure enough by the next day their whole school knew, they also told my mum which helped me months later when I plucked up the courage to tell her.
Now we're going to validate if we get a visa, wait for my wife to qualify as a nurse and then go so everyone's now saying "ah, you'll never go" etc.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:38 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

it took us three attempts to finally get here...
first time we didnt say anything, read all info and i said oooh i cant!!

2nd time..we told everyone and they all said..oh you'll never go...and we didnt cos i chickened out!!!

3rd time we told close friends at first then family then finally work..we never had any negative vibes this time tho...

kids helped out though by telling lots of people too...bless em

then they all said..oooh i dont wanna go dont talk about it!!!

then it was....im sick of people asking me when im going!!!...know how they felt!!

and now were finally here..on hol in sydney..on to perth 7th october!!!!
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:32 pm
Sydney since Oct 04

l_jg is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

We've been telling practically everybody that we meet (except for possible new employers of course - as we're both looking for new jobs!)

My mom and dad were expecting it for years but are really pleased for us and can't wait to have their "free holiday". I went on holiday to Italy when I was 17 for two weeks and came back to the UK three years later. One of my ambitions since then has been to go to Australia and earlier this year I finally convinced Tony that it would be good for us to try it out for a couple of years...... Tony's mom doesn't really say much about it, but we live so far away from her already (she's in Dundee, we're in southern England) that we don't see her much anyway and they're not that close a family.

All friends wish us well and hope that we get in, again, for the "free holidays", some people think we are mad having never been there, and just wanting to up and leave at the drop of a hat (if only ), but others just tell us how much we'll love it there and just makes me wish the whole process would just hurry up and get finished. We're four months into the processing now, so hopefully it won't be much longer
Old Sep 25th 2003, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Has anybody told everybody

Originally posted by sky
I think everybody just about knows we are going to NZ now what with my hubby letting the cat out of the bag with his family and my sons telling the whole of the neighbourhood. I hope we go now, I will feel really silly if we dont

Yep i told everyone, couldn't keep something like that a secret, although i wish i hadn't of said anything till our TRA assessment came through at least, sure that everyone thinks that you can just 'go and live in Australia', just like that!
rach
Old Sep 25th 2003, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We told our parents quite early on as it was really hard to keep it a secret. They knew we had been pondering it for a while, but knowing that we were actually going made it hard for them.

Our children have also known all along. They have told quite a few people - even my Mum before I officially told her! She wasn't too pleased.

People at work I have told gradually, close friends first and recently the rest of my colleagues.

I would advise against telling people too early though ( apart from family) as it takes a long time and they keep wanting updates when you don't have any info for them!

Tell your family early on, ours were pleased we had given them a lot of warning so they can spend extra time with the kids etc.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Some people I know still don't know we are going, I like to keep it too myself.

It seems funny telling people like, "yeah I went out too last saturday", oh and I am emmigrating to OZ in 4 and a half months time aaahhh.

The important people know and that's all that matters.

C x