Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hard decision to make......

Hard decision to make......

Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:22 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hard decision to make......

We have met so many great friends on here..... and we are all heading for the same sunny coast.....

but andy has had this email...... and after a telephone call the guy has aked if we can go earlier....andy thinx not and is mullin over the situ but he is also concerned about loss of special frendship bonds we have made.....

We joined this forum and went to met some ov u guys.....so that when we arrive in Oz we could all support each other...

anyway this is it....... any views peeps would be most appreciated...

love boomie
xxxxx

Hi Lisa,

I recently received a copy of Andrew's CV with a view to a position I need
to fill urgently.

I realise that you will not be Oz until October, which in itself is a bit
of a problem for me, but I am wondering if you could get Andrew to give me
some more specific information related to his area of expertise and his
suitability to our position.

We are small 40 year old business in Rockhampton (central Queensland),
twenty minutes or so from Yeppoon and its 22Km of white sandy beaches,
where I live. We are traditional offset printers combined with digital
short run production. We undertake anything from business cards to books,
although full colour brochures and NCR books probably account for a large
part of our income. My wife and I run the business as a small family type
affair, no stress, very relaxed atmosphere, great hours 8 to 4 five days.

Artwork is undertaken on MAC platforms utilising Photoshop, Quark,
Illustrator, Acrobat etc etc. I am needing someone that can create designs
from scratch to film output stage, preferably familiar with AGFA (Accuset
800) image-setters and associated RIP software, perhaps output film,
perhaps make plates if the need arises and be a general press-press
all-rounder. The emphasis is on designs that are printable and not
beautiful creations that give our printers nighmares. The latter is
unfortunately typical of young designers here, fresh from college without
experience away from the keyboard. We run single colour presses although
full colour process work is extensive.

I would stress that your information has been supplied to me by a not so
professional source and I generally do not wish to continue using them. I
therefore request that if this is of interest and we can overcome the
problems of a delayed start, that you communicate with me directly.

Could you please also advise me of the earliest possible start time that
Andrew could consider if he is interested. I look forward to hearing from
you soon, one way or the other.

best regards

Last edited by Boomie; Aug 20th 2004 at 5:24 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:38 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hard decision to make......

Originally Posted by Boomie
We have met so many great friends on here..... and we are all heading for the same sunny coast.....

but andy has had this email...... and after a telephone call the guy has aked if we can go earlier....andy thinx not and is mullin over the situ but he is also concerned about loss of special frendship bonds we have made.....

We joined this forum and went to met some ov u guys.....so that when we arrive in Oz we could all support each other...

love boomie
xxxxx

Hi Lisa,

to fill urgently.

best regards

Go for it Boomie!! you aint gonna lose any friends over leaving a bit early, my advice would be dont look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:43 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by madsad
Go for it Boomie!! you aint gonna lose any friends over leaving a bit early, my advice would be dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

its not the friends here..... we r the last to go out of our circle so ta speak....

its the fact that 350miles is a long way to keep intouch..... rockhampton does seem quiet a distance from brissie which is where we are all headin....and this worries us

love boomie
xx
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

its not the friends here..... we r the last to go out of our circle so ta speak....

its the fact that 350miles is a long way to keep intouch..... rockhampton does seem quiet a distance from brissie which is where we are all headin....and this worries us

love boomie
xx
Boomie..its a job And if u dont like it then move.....Im a great beliver in fate..and u do what u feel its rite for u and ur family......this is a oppertunaty,and take it wi both hands...if it dunt work out......well then at least uve tried.....u cud always move on If u ant got that gut feeling then wait and c what appens....theres always work out there.......Ave a gud chat wi the family....Its a group descision....
Tasha
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:32 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

love boomie
xx
I would say go for it. Get a foot in the door and if it doesn't feel right in a while, you've got some breathing space to start looking elsewhere.

PS Biggy's in Yeppoon! ( :scared: )
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:40 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

love boomie
xx
350 miles .... in OZ terms its just around the corner
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:43 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

love boomie
xxxxx

Hi Lisa,

to fill urgently.

best regards
Hi Boomie,
Did you both have jobs to go too when you got out there? or were you starting from scratch?
Either way go with your gut feelings,but talk it through thoroughly,friends are always gona be there for you no matter what you decide & you all have to get on with your own lifes once everything settles down.
The job offer sounds great,but finding your feet in a new country & settling down to a new life is a big enough upheavel & having friends around going through a similar experience certainly does help.
So basically what means more?
If it were my decision(if you dont mind me sayin?)I would stay put with my original plans.
Good luck Boomie,make a decision & dont let it ruin your weekend.
Donna x
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi Boomie,
Did you both have jobs to go too when you got out there? or were you starting from scratch?
Either way go with your gut feelings,but talk it through thoroughly,friends are always gona be there for you no matter what you decide & you all have to get on with your own lifes once everything settles down.
The job offer sounds great,but finding your feet in a new country & settling down to a new life is a big enough upheavel & having friends around going through a similar experience certainly does help.
So basically what means more?
If it were my decision(if you dont mind me sayin?)I would stay put with my original plans.
Good luck Boomie,make a decision & dont let it ruin your weekend.
Donna x
Hi Boomie
I'd be with Madsad on this one.

You are talking about a job several hundred miles from where you planned and it seems the goalposts have moved dramatically.

Check out the job prospects in Brisbane before you decide. That's where you wanted to be.

Good luck and best wishes whatever

G
Old Aug 21st 2004, 12:11 am
Just Joined

BallBoy will become famous soon enough

Hi Boomie,

Just a thought after reading this thread is that moving to Rockhampton would be a more stress free way of starting your move to Australia. Medium sized town with a good sense of community, slower way of life than jumping into a large city like Brisbane.
Although Rockhampton maybe limited you'd get your bearings pretty soon and be able to fall into a routine much quicker. You'd get a sense of a real Australian town aswell. You've got Yeppoon on your doorstep which is a lovely part of the world.

I've just got my visa accepted last week but probably won't be moving over till the back end of 2005, as a coincedence I similarly work in pre-press.

Hope which ever descision you make everything turns out well.

Cheers
Tim
Old Aug 21st 2004, 12:22 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

You maybe last of our group Lisa but I think we're furthest North. Rockhampton isn't so far away from us and I'm sure visits will be regular just so we can all see how each other is getting on. If 12,000 miles hasn't stopped us communicating what's a couple of hundred
Sean says if he takes the job he can always look for work further down the coast. As we've always told our daughter it's easier to get a job when you've already got one
I think our place will be half way between us all I reckon a party is in order. When you all get settled.

Keep Smiling

Deb
Old Aug 21st 2004, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

We were off to Brisbane too but hubbie received a job offer in Cairns! After some thought, we decided to go for it as this seems to be the biggest hurdle to overcome. We are glad we did, I know that we would have been well stressed about money if we had gone with no job offer. We also had to take into account that we have not yet sold our house.

We have been in Cairns now for about 3 weeks and have not regretted it so far!

Mandy
Old Aug 21st 2004, 6:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If its a firm job offer it could be an excellent start. And there is nothing to say that you have to stay up on Rocky is there. Andy could take the job as a start and then move on. I'd say go for it, unless he is absolutely certain he can get a job in Brisbane. Its far easier to move jobs once you are here, and moving from one to another, than it is to get your first one.
At least its the same state, its near enough to Brissie to fly down for the weekend, and you may even get people coming up the coast to see you.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Booms
Go for it mate. If you dont like it you can always move to Brissy
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 8:09 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I'd go for it. Nothing to lose, virginblue etc makes getting to the coast a cheap and easy trip. If you don't like it, you relocate. If you go to where all your friends are now, who's to say in a couple of years time they wont have changed locations anyway??

Good luck with whatever you do
Old Aug 21st 2004, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Lisa, Andy and kids
do whatever you feel is right as a family, like so many people on this forum have said, whats 350 miles! you came all the way to Poole didn't you? There is no way we will lose touch no matter where you are mate, remember you weren't originally going to Brisbane were you??? yet we'd have still been friends and kept in touch!
Double check that it is a firm job offer mate before deciding anything, then talk and talk again with Andy, do what you both want to do.
Hunny no matter where you are in the world, i like many others on this forum will always consider you a friend,
chat soon babe
Rach xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.