Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Half my life in Perth and I still want to go home!

Half my life in Perth and I still want to go home!

Old May 22nd 2009, 5:15 am
Just Joined

tinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant future
Default Re: Half my life in Perth and I still want to go home!

Originally Posted by kiwinow
OP have you been home since you moved to Perth? Does it still feel like home? If so, it's up to you to decide. Seems to me that if there are spirits they can transcend travel, but it is often important to those left behind to have somewhere to go to communicate with you once you're gone.

My 11 year-old daughter said to me the other day that if she dies before me she wants to be cremated, so that I can take her wherever I go. Grim thought, but I guess she is verbalising the same feelings as you are - she doesn't want to be lonely.

Friends of ours recently lost a still born baby boy. They had the funeral here in NZ, and friends got to see him and touch him, but the dad is from Brazil and none of his family were able to be present, so they raised money to go to Brazil and spread baby's ashes over there. I don't know how Mum will feel if she returns to NZ, but for here it is about heritage and leaving part of him where he originated.
Hi kiwinow,
when back befor the kids were born, still felt like home but that was a long time ago. So sorry about your friends baby. Your daughter sounds like a sensitive soul like me.

We all need to feel like we belong to a place, i try hard to be happy here but something inside me won't let me settle.

Still confused !
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:20 am
Just Joined

tinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mohogony
There seems to be lots of Ping Pong pOms on the forum who get homesick move back to the UK and regret it and then move back to OZ again.
But if we don't go, we won't know,
its just a shame it so expensive to find a place where you are happy to live and die in.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

kericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud of

we are one of these ping poms.and i know for sure that when the time comes for me to go i want to be buried at home where i came from, at the end of the day i was born in england and i will be buried in england,as for now i am living so at the moment my life is here in oz if that makes sense,but i came from my roots and im gonna go back to my roots
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:15 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

When you are dead, you're dead. You're not really going to bother about such things then.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:11 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Become a Diamond after death.... They compress your ashes and turn you into a real diamond... Yes, it is real.

I've seen that.

When I die, I want to be cremated, have the ashes mixed with gun powder and put into a huge firework rocket.

I guess my ashes will have to be scattered over Canberra
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Its all a bit creepy...expats feeling like they don't 'belong'.

If you felt like you 'belonged' in the first instance you would never have moved surely?

...and if you don't feel like you 'belong' now after emigrating, what's going to have changed since you originally decided to emigrate?

Repeat cycle till death..............
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bananalana
Its all a bit creepy...expats feeling like they don't 'belong'.

If you felt like you 'belonged' in the first instance you would never have moved surely?

...and if you don't feel like you 'belong' now after emigrating, what's going to have changed since you originally decided to emigrate?

Repeat cycle till death..............
I was 18 turning 19, young and lived for fun and adventure.

Time and experience can change a person.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Didn't mean to be harsh tinamichelle.

Just saying the grass isn't always greener, especially back in the UK at the moment.

We all have our own reasons, but as others may have mentioned, consider a holiday back in the Uk before you sell up and go back for good.

Life is always difficult and sometimes when we feel a bit down we think things will be better somewhere else. It's not always the case though.

Tread carefully.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Not sure this is helpful but I would like my ashes thrown into the sea. That way my family could be with me all around the world. Might sound stupid but the thought of being in one country and the kids else where doesn't do it for me.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

hi poppetuk,

This is my problem! You don't sound stupid, you sound like me (and i'm not stupid, just requiring psychological help LOL)

Seriously though, I've only got my OH and our 2 kids in perth and I can't imagine not seeing them often or being separated from them.

Things may change in the future, my daughter may finally push me over the edge with her bossy attitude and i may be glad to have a break from her and my son "may" find a girl "pretty enough", who looks like "Halle Berry" and leaves home, leaving me in a different situation.

Time will tell, untill then i live with the problem.

I have chosen not to be buried , I don't fancy being eaten by ants either
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

so your worried you spirit will be floating around in aus when your family goes back to england, so what would be different if you were buried in england, would you get to haunt them
Old May 22nd 2009, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

This is a link to a new form of burial ... freeze dried and then magically dissipated into light beams so that you become part of the universe

http://www.promessa.se/index_en.asp

It's called Promessa freeze dried burial .. from Sweden. Brilliant for those who can arrange to have their body sent to Sweden
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinamichelle
Finally found out how to post a thread!
Half of my life in the uk and the other half in Perth. The time has come to stop saying that i will go back one day to now feeling like I must go home.
My kids are growing older and and I'm growing more miserable.
This might sound morbid but I resently got around to writing a will. Where do I want my remains buried? the question asked, I felt very sick at the thought of being buried in a church somewhere and my husband and kids returning to England without me. I never thought about this before but it could happen, I had visions of me being an unhappy spirit floating around trying to find my way home. I'm not particularly religious and I don't sit and ponder my passing but this thought scared me and made me realise I don't want to die here.
Am I having a midlife crisis or do others feel the same way?
My Grandma's hubby spent 40 odd years in Oz, always wanted to return to Yorkshire, but she wouldn't let him. He passed on a few years back and his ashes came back and for some reason put on his his previous wife's grave . I wouldn't say he was unhappy in Oz, just he wanted to return to what he classed as his home, even though he spent the majority of his life in Oz.
Some people never settle in Oz, I doubt anyone can tell you what you should do apart from your nearest and dearest. Good luck whatever the outcome...