Hairdressing!!

Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of
Default Hairdressing!!

Hi

I may be on a bit of a rant and rage but....

I did my hairdressing qualifications in the UK (NVQ 2, NVQ 3 Diploma and NVQ 3) starting in 2004. I worked in the same salon for 4 years until June 2008 when we came to Australia.

We are on a Student Visa (my husband is at college doing bakery/hospitality management) and I am a dependant on that visa. This is because I could not get TRA because I haven't got 6 years experience including my training.

My rant is that you can come over here and do a 2 year course (including 900 hours in a salon) and obtain TRA!!! How comes I, after 4 years, cannot even get TRA and am having to pay for student costs, costs for my son to go to school until he is 18 (even though he got 7 A*s in his GCSEs before we came out, which are being transferred to OP 1 or 2!!) and can only work for 20 hours a week so struggling etc etc etc?????

Also, I know for a fact that some of the students are barely competent when handed over their Certificates and lie on their TRA applications that they have done 900 hours!!!!

This really makes me angry!!! I worked my butt off to get my qualifications and still work hard and am (without being big-headed) a really good hairdresser!!!

EEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!:curse:

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest!!!

Jo
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairdressing!!

Sorry to say but you didn't get it because you couldn't fulfil their criteria. Someone doing it here to their rules will. Simple as. I could ask why you didn't work another two years in order to get TRA before moving over, then you could have worked full time, had the 'perks' of PR and your husband could have done his catering qualification. However, I'm not because a) it's none of my business; b) hindsight is a wonderful thing and c) presumably you were worried that hairdressing would come off the list and you'd still not be here.

Life's a bitch sometimes.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdraper
Hi

I may be on a bit of a rant and rage but....

I did my hairdressing qualifications in the UK (NVQ 2, NVQ 3 Diploma and NVQ 3) starting in 2004. I worked in the same salon for 4 years until June 2008 when we came to Australia.

We are on a Student Visa (my husband is at college doing bakery/hospitality management) and I am a dependant on that visa. This is because I could not get TRA because I haven't got 6 years experience including my training.

My rant is that you can come over here and do a 2 year course (including 900 hours in a salon) and obtain TRA!!! How comes I, after 4 years, cannot even get TRA and am having to pay for student costs, costs for my son to go to school until he is 18 (even though he got 7 A*s in his GCSEs before we came out, which are being transferred to OP 1 or 2!!) and can only work for 20 hours a week so struggling etc etc etc?????

Also, I know for a fact that some of the students are barely competent when handed over their Certificates and lie on their TRA applications that they have done 900 hours!!!!

This really makes me angry!!! I worked my butt off to get my qualifications and still work hard and am (without being big-headed) a really good hairdresser!!!

EEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!:curse:

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest!!!

Jo
Why you ranting now. . you knew this before you came out?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Claire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really nice

It's good to have a good old rant to get something of your chest sometimes.....you go for it girl

Can you get work there without your tra to build up your case to get it ?

It's a bit like in the 80's in the U.K when you could do a 6 week course in hairdressing and then go mobile as a trained hairdresser We must be thick needing 2 years full time and then qualify only as an improver
Best of luck
Claire
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sorry to say but you didn't get it because you couldn't fulfil their criteria. Someone doing it here to their rules will. Simple as. I could ask why you didn't work another two years in order to get TRA before moving over, then you could have worked full time, had the 'perks' of PR and your husband could have done his catering qualification. However, I'm not because a) it's none of my business; b) hindsight is a wonderful thing and c) presumably you were worried that hairdressing would come off the list and you'd still not be here.

Hi Pen. We came out now as otherwise our son would be over 18 and wouldn't have been able to come out without his own visa. That's the main reason - plus we wanted to come now.

Originally Posted by mandyp
Why you ranting now. . you knew this before you came out?
I knew some of this before I came out - what I didn't know was that some students don't finish their courses or aren't competent when finished (and still receive their Certs) and some even lie on their TRA application forms and still get granted PR!!!! I think that's why the rant now instead of earlier!! Just gets to you sometimes!!

Originally Posted by Claire W
It's good to have a good old rant to get something of your chest sometimes.....you go for it girl

Can you get work there without your tra to build up your case to get it ?

It's a bit like in the 80's in the U.K when you could do a 6 week course in hairdressing and then go mobile as a trained hairdresser We must be thick needing 2 years full time and then qualify only as an improver
Best of luck
Claire
Hi Claire. Thanks for that. I am working 20 hours at a salon and so building up for TRA. Also, when the rules change (which they should have done on 1/9/08) I should be eligible with 4 years experience.

Feel better now!!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Hi Pen.

We didn't wait until I had done my 6 years as our son would be over 18 and would then need his own visa (or couldn't have come with us)!! Plus we wanted to come now so sold our house and financed it this way. I don't begrudge paying for the course etc for Paul and school for Andrew but, as I said, I'm just ranting because of the system and some people who just don't care how they get into the country and also don't care about the hairdressing profession getting a bad name!!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdraper
Hi Pen.

We didn't wait until I had done my 6 years as our son would be over 18 and would then need his own visa (or couldn't have come with us)!! Plus we wanted to come now so sold our house and financed it this way. I don't begrudge paying for the course etc for Paul and school for Andrew but, as I said, I'm just ranting because of the system and some people who just don't care how they get into the country and also don't care about the hairdressing profession getting a bad name!!
A rant is good for the soul
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

My point is you are in a better position than many of us over here on a student visa. . .you can use your hairdressing to still go for PR where as most of us are at the full mercy of any changes.

Agree that there is nothing wrong with a good rant but at least you are over here and have choices, many cant get over or are struggling to get here. . .your life in Oz has begun. . .

Good luck
Mandy