Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Had one of those days...

Had one of those days...

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Had one of those days...

Sometimes you just have a day that makes you think, makes you appreciate all the good stuff in your life, and evaluate how lucky you are. I had a day like that yesterday, that put things going on in our lives into perspective. It's been playing on my mind all day, so I thought I might just 'air' it, and put it to bed.

Normal Sunday, relaxing, Mr L. on a day off, and we visited our friend in Redcliffe. On the way home, we were 2 cars back from the traffic lights at an intersection, when there was a screech and the next minute a car literally flew through the air, flipping over and landing on its' roof. I've been in a very bad crash, and subsequently am a nervous passenger, but have never witnessed a bad one. I don't think I'll ever forget seeing that car or hearing the terrible noise when it impacted the ground.

I guess you just act, and don't think much initially, and I jumped out and ran over while Mr L called an ambulance. We were right opposite the hospital, and luckily there was a nurse there. The two girls in the car were only about 17 and naturally freaking out. They were helped out pretty quickly and were in major shock so I stayed with them and called one of their mum's explaining what'd happened. The girl in the other car was ok too. I don't know how none of them had more serious injuries.

The girls admitted not having seen the red light, so we think, the 2nd car was approaching the red light, it turned green and so she just accelorated through, but must have been doing at least 40km to lift the girls who crossed her path to such a height.

Once the family of one arrived, we left the fireman/police/ambulance to it, and it was only then, driving away that I looked back at the car, marvelling at how quick it had all happened, and how bad it could have turned out.

I felt ridiculous, cos that's when I started feeling shaky and sicky, but I think that's also partly because the previous day I'd been sitting in pole position at lights on Anzac Avenue, when the car to my right took off. I automatically did the same, only to realise half into the intersection that he had a green filter light, and mine was still red. A car passed in front of me, and I just couldn't believe what I'd just done. Looking at the cars the following day, and the hysteria that the girls' were feeling was a big wake up call.

Driving today into town, I was concentrating so hard, I almost missed two turnings, and twice almost asked Mr L to take over the driving. Guess you just learn a lesson, and move on.......slowly and with caution.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:42 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Had one of those days...

OMG, what an awful thing to witness, and amazing that none of them were badly hurt!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by bridiej
OMG, what an awful thing to witness, and amazing that none of them were badly hurt!!!
I know, all they had were slightly sore backs, maybe a little whiplash. Someone was looking after them.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:38 am
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

That must have been awful to witness, at least the girls were ok. How are you feeling now? must have bought a load of memories flooding back.
Have sent some k as I think you deserve some, and well done in staying calm for the girls I'm sure they will always remember you and appreciate your calming presence.

Mandi x
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:15 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

We let our 14 yr old daughter goto sydney thursday with friends, they drove down.
Each evening she called explaining how her day had been.

Last nt she called, from Coffs Harbour.

Huge motorcar accident on M1

She called because it was an horriffic accident, involving a few vehicles, and people were im informed killed
The crash happened 200 metres in front of the car she was travelling back in.

At first we were shocked then relieved at her safety, then today shock sunk in, at the thought, we may never have seen our baby again, and had the opportunity of saying that one last "Love You "

hmmm
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandi248
That must have been awful to witness, at least the girls were ok. How are you feeling now? must have bought a load of memories flooding back.
Have sent some k as I think you deserve some, and well done in staying calm for the girls I'm sure they will always remember you and appreciate your calming presence.

Mandi x
I'm feeling much better, it was straight after the accident, once I'd walked away, and that night. But yesterday, I drove, and was so busy concentrating on ensuring I was concentrating on my driving and every other car around me, I kept almost missing turnings and exits .

I think everyone must react in the same way in that kinda scenario, it's just they looked so young and terrified and all they wanted was their mum.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
We let our 14 yr old daughter goto sydney thursday with friends, they drove down.
Each evening she called explaining how her day had been.

Last nt she called, from Coffs Harbour.

Huge motorcar accident on M1

She called because it was an horriffic accident, involving a few vehicles, and people were im informed killed
The crash happened 200 metres in front of the car she was travelling back in.

At first we were shocked then relieved at her safety, then today shock sunk in, at the thought, we may never have seen our baby again, and had the opportunity of saying that one last "Love You "

hmmm
Like I said, it just makes you think doesn't it, 'hmmmm' being the operative word there. I guess every now and then, something happens that makes you stop and think, and you try and appreciate everyone around you more etc. but slowly you slip back into taking things for granted etc. till another wake up call.

I get upset when you drive by bad accidents, I remember one between here and Bribie last May when we were on holiday, but seeing it occur...sends shivers down ya.