Reload this Page >

Gun Crime figures..

Gun Crime figures..

Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

MartyK will become famous soon enough
Default Gun Crime figures..

Hi there,

Have recently moved from Camberwell (SE London) to Australia.
The gun crime rates have increased in the UK a lot now over the past 10 years which is one of the main reasons of emigrating out here... To get away from it!

I have been on to http://www.nationmaster.com and was very surprised to see that Australia has a higher gun crime rate (even though a lot of people on http://www.nationmaster.com are saying their statistics are incorrect)

Has anyone got any ideas what the actual gun crime rates are like over here in Australia compared to the UK?
I never really hear much about it on the news over here either buti n the UK you'd hear of at least 2 a day.

Thank you.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun Crime figures..

Originally Posted by MartyK
Hi there,

The gun crime rates have increased in the UK a lot now over the past 10 years which is one of the main reasons of emigrating out here... To get away from it!

I have been on to http://www.nationmaster.com and was very surprised to see that Australia has a higher gun crime rate (even though a lot of people on http://www.nationmaster.com are saying their statistics are incorrect)

Has anyone got any ideas what the actual gun crime rates are like over here in Australia compared to the UK?
I never really hear much about it on the news over here either buti n the UK you'd hear of at least 2 a day.

Thank you.
I used to read about shootings in the news in the UK, now I read about them in the news in Oz. I have never seen a shooting in either country so I'm not really touched by them in either place.

I do feel safer from crime here, but that may be just a personal feeling not backed up by any facts.

BB
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

thanks for your quick rpely there!

Yeah i do feel safer walking the streets over here. WAY safer.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:02 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Do you not watch the news? A gunman was killed by armed police today, and his accomplice is currently on the run.

in the news today...

man-shot-on-northern-beaches

mum-four-kids-in-drive-by-shooting-nightmare

nsw-teenager-accidentally-shot-dead-during-hunting-mishap-in-rural-victoria

Last edited by coolshadows; Jul 26th 2010 at 10:06 am.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Yeah.... it is worse isn't it?

I had a incling Australia may have been worse.... from those statistics.

There must be a bit more of a gang culture here then.

I mean i think the population out here is something like 20 million and the UK is about 64 million. and yet the figures overtake the UK's in gun crime.

There must be some serious gang culture somewhere out here.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:10 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

Thank you.
Australia had the worlds worst gun massacre, Port Arthur 35 innocent people killed, worse then anything in America. But unless your involved in a gang or crime your probably 1,000 times more likely to be killed in a car accident then shot by a criminal. l think the murder rate in OZ is four times less then the USA

Last edited by mohogony; Jul 26th 2010 at 10:14 am.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:12 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Every country has it's problem areas.

Here, like the UK, gun crime is usually drug related (there are a few armed robberies of security vans too).
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Bloody hell!! He must have been REALLY pissed off
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

I was wondering if anyone has any up to date statistics though? because that nation statistics site was for 1998 - 2000 i think..

thnaks everyone 4 yr responses
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:14 am
ABCDiamond

Hi there,

Thank you.
Some 2009 Crime statistics from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]?opendocument

In 2009, the Australian victimisation rates for selected personal offence categories were:

Murder, 1.2 victims per 100,000 persons, no change from 2008
Attempted murder, 1.1 victims per 100,000 persons, no change from 2008

Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:17 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by mohogony
Australia had the worlds worst gun massacre, Port Arthur 35 innocent people killed.

a South Korean police officer who carried out the largest known incident of spree killing in modern history. After the rampage concluded, 57 people (including himself) were dead and 35 were wounded in Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much theyre very good clear statistics there!

Do you have a similar one buti n the UK only i cant seem to find one anywhere!

Thanks again,.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:19 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Sorry your wrong he killed some of the victims with hand grenades so its not a gun massacre. Port Arthur Australia is the worlds worst gun massacre.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:20 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Today's News: Man dies after shooting in alleged robbery

Today's News: Man dies after Sydney shooting

Today's News: Two charged with woman's murder

Today's News: Drive-by shooting may be linked to girls' dispute

Today's News: Supreme Court jury fails to reach verdict on Sydney bikie's execution killing

etc etc etc
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:20 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by mohogony
Sorry your wrong he killed alot of the victims with hand grenades so its not a gun massacre. Port Arthur Australia is the worlds worsts.
"He shot most of his victims, but in one case he killed an entire family with a grenade."

he only killed a handful with grenades. Both terrible incidents though.

he took 7 grenades and 180 rounds of ammo from the police armory (using his last 2 grenades to kill himself).

Last edited by coolshadows; Jul 26th 2010 at 10:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.