Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

guide dogs and quaratine ?

guide dogs and quaratine ?

Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice
Default guide dogs and quaratine ?

hi and hello to everybody here (1st post)

i will be applying for a visa very soon after our trip to oz in mid feb,i have many many questions ,so u may be hering from us quite a bit...........my father in law asked a question about visiting us when we get there.Its about his dog,he is blind and has a guide dog.He`s already asked about getting the dog on planes ,airports etc and all is good but what about quaratine when he gets to oz,what are the rules on this ????

cheers for any help

nigel and wendy
Old Feb 4th 2007, 12:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: guide dogs and quaratine ?

Originally Posted by nigel and wendy
hi and hello to everybody here (1st post)

i will be applying for a visa very soon after our trip to oz in mid feb,i have many many questions ,so u may be hering from us quite a bit...........my father in law asked a question about visiting us when we get there.Its about his dog,he is blind and has a guide dog.He`s already asked about getting the dog on planes ,airports etc and all is good but what about quaratine when he gets to oz,what are the rules on this ????

cheers for any help

nigel and wendy
I can honestly say that in all the years I've been posting, at last I'm reading a new question - I really don't think its been asked before. I would suggest searching for the details of Golden Arrow, they get recommended a lot for moving pets to Aus, or contact www.aqis.gov.au which is the Quarantine section for importation to Aus.

Be interested to read the answer.....
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

My guess (and it is just a guess) would be that guide dogs would still have to do quarantine. I know that sniffer-dogs etc that work crime scenes or disaster areas still have to be quarantined. Australia seem so fussy about importing animals that I can't see them allowing one to just walk in.
It would be worth investigating though - contact aqis, or perhaps try one of the quarantine stations directly (the sydney one is called eastern creek, they have an email address) as they may have experience of this.
If the guide-dog does have to do quarantine, it might be worth contacting a charity or health authority in the area that you are going to to see if there might be a chance of 'borrowing' a guide dog to cover the period when your father-in-law is in need.

Having just re-read your post, you ask about your FIL visiting - if the dog does have to do standard quarantine it would be 30 days, which on top of the cost (£2500-3000 for a lab, oneway) might make it non-viable for a visit. Plenty of people query doing it on a permanent basis, let alone for a visit. It would have to be a long visit for it to be worthwhile, and even then it would be v expensive.

Will be interesting to hear what you find out though, let us know. Good luck!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:35 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually looks as though you CAN import a guide dog without quarantine. I came across this http://www.nfb-nagdu.org/laws/australia/australia.html and this http://www.nfb-nagdu.org/laws/australia/aqis.html and although a step by step guide from the US to Australia, its mainly valid.

It seems that guide dogs are exempt from the quarantine regs but have to be cleared by an AQIS vet who meets them at the airport who could order the dog be put into quarantine or removed from the country if the inspection went badly.

Google is your friend....

Last edited by Centurion; Feb 4th 2007 at 6:38 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

and I would also imagine that if the dog is travelling in the cabin with its owner it's probably fairly likely that you WOULDN'T get charged any kind of shipping fee!!! (though what they charge for taking the dog on a plane is anyone's guess!!!!)

Last edited by YoSemite; Feb 6th 2007 at 11:20 am.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Very interesting question. I also didn't realise the dogs could fly in the main cabin.

Just curious and I don't want to sound frivolous or demeaning about the issue but, how much aide will the dog be? I thought guide dogs were trained for special routines and locations (aside from general road etiquette etc).

Graham
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:01 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Very interesting question. I also didn't realise the dogs could fly in the main cabin.
Only guide dogs can fly in the cabin. And they are actually called "assistance dogs" as there are quite a few different types not just "guide dogs for the blind" but for example also "hearing dogs" for deaf people.

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Just curious and I don't want to sound frivolous or demeaning about the issue but, how much aide will the dog be? I thought guide dogs were trained for special routines and locations (aside from general road etiquette etc).
No, guide dogs aren't trained for one route or location, say home to work and back. So the dog would be able to help just as much in Australia.

Here is a website if you want to learn more about guide dogs for the blind: http://www.gdba.org.uk/

The dogs are incredibly clever! Years ago I observed one in a London tube station: They had just installed the automatic ticket barriers and everyone now had to walk through these to get to the platforms.

I saw the dog walk up to the barrier and was just about to shout a warning to the blind person (who would have slammed right into it), when the dog came to a stop across and in front of his missus (to stop her walking forward), then changed direction and walked over to the little hut with the guard in it. You could almost "see" what the dog was thinking: Oh, gosh, we didn't have these here last time we came through. Now, I can walk underneath this barrier no problem, but I don't think the missus can. We need help. I think we'll ask this man in the funny hat and clothes. It was incredible to watch.

Assistance dogs are not to be under-estimated.

Gina
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

How brilliant that there are these special exceptions for assistance dogs - they really do a fabulously valuable job helping their owners.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:27 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Only guide dogs can fly in the cabin. And they are actually called "assistance dogs" as there are quite a few different types not just "guide dogs for the blind" but for example also "hearing dogs" for deaf people.

No, guide dogs aren't trained for one route or location, say home to work and back. So the dog would be able to help just as much in Australia.

Here is a website if you want to learn more about guide dogs for the blind: http://www.gdba.org.uk/

The dogs are incredibly clever! Years ago I observed one in a London tube station: They had just installed the automatic ticket barriers and everyone now had to walk through these to get to the platforms.

I saw the dog walk up to the barrier and was just about to shout a warning to the blind person (who would have slammed right into it), when the dog came to a stop across and in front of his missus (to stop her walking forward), then changed direction and walked over to the little hut with the guard in it. You could almost "see" what the dog was thinking: Oh, gosh, we didn't have these here last time we came through. Now, I can walk underneath this barrier no problem, but I don't think the missus can. We need help. I think we'll ask this man in the funny hat and clothes. It was incredible to watch.

Gina
Amazing what they are trained to do, no wonder its a long and expensive process
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:02 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina

Oh wow, that's very clever

I remember seeing one poor dog tangled around a sign post in the middle of brum. Not quite sure how it happened but was shocked to see the amount of people that walked past and just looked without helping! I was across the square, made mad dash to help him. Obviously the owner didn't really understand what was going on but was very grateful when I untangled his lovely dog, only a young un from what I remember

They are amazing animals.

Glad to see they can go on the plane with the owner, that must be very reassuring
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:28 am
Just wanna be there

paul and Lynz will become famous soon enoughpaul and Lynz will become famous soon enough

I came across this http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs whilst looking quarantine for my own dog, hope it helps
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:50 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
...(though what they charge for taking the dog on a plane is anyone's guess!!!!)
They probably rob you blind

sorry - bad pun, I'll leave now.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:20 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
They probably rob you blind

sorry - bad pun, I'll leave now.
Very funny.

I actually think it would be wrong for an airline to charge at all. The dog won't be taking up a seat. They should let them on free of charge.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:39 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kapri
Very funny.

I actually think it would be wrong for an airline to charge at all. The dog won't be taking up a seat. They should let them on free of charge.
Yes, but they would need to be seat belted for take off and landing.....anything 'loose' in the cabin is a hazard to all other passengers!

Would be interested to read the airlines policy on this!