Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grumpy people in supermarkets

Grumpy people in supermarkets

Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Grumpy people in supermarkets

I didn't drive when I was in Australia the last time, but aftering tackling Hanger Lane Roundabout in London on a Friday evening :scared: it can't be any worse than that. But not looking forward to those funny right hand swing turns in Melbourne for the trams, although I'm sure it just takes practice (I hope ).[/QUOTE]
Yea I remember the turns in Melbourne round the tramlines! Took some getting used to. But I have to agree about the aggressive driving in Sydney, sooo unnecessary. Is it part of the Aussie 'must win' mentality?
Although in general driving everywhere seems to becoming more aggressive and less considerate. I must admit Hanger Lane roundabout is fast and it really helps if you know where you are going and hold your nerve!!
As for shopping, I found no problems in the Northern Beaches except for staff in the smaller ones being under pressure and probably underpaid!!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:43 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
Yep me too. Wouldn't say that food shopping is high on my list of exciting things to do, a case of zoom in zoom out, while trying not to spend a fortune of things you don't really need, and as for people taking HOURS to pack bags at the checkout! ahhhh.

I didn't drive when I was in Australia the last time, but aftering tackling Hanger Lane Roundabout in London on a Friday evening :scared: it can't be any worse than that. But not looking forward to those funny right hand swing turns in Melbourne for the trams, although I'm sure it just takes practice (I hope ).
If you are brave enough to tackle anywhere in London on a Friday evening, the hook turns here will be a doddle for you
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mbike
My mum used to live in Stoke Hammond, next village along from Leighton. We stopped going to the Leighton Tesco when they open TK Maxx next to the Tesco in Bletchley. Now there's a shop they could do with over here...

Mark
Yes, I miss TK Maxx...
I know Stoke Hammond well. Nice village.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Me too. I hardly have to concentrate.

Me too. Secretly I am that BAD driver you all hate. I'm almost asleep in a coma when I drive - there is no need for constant 110pc awareness like in London!! I once caught myself indicating go around a left hand bend....out here in the rural lanes (the embarassment!)

(Of course, an experienced driver can ramp up quickly. That's why learner drivers get so tired - they're concentrating too hard, too long.)
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHnJ
One thing I miss when driving is the "thank you" or "oops-I'm-sorry-I-must-seem-like-a-pillock-for-that-move-but-I'm-OK-really" wave through the back window.
That would be tantamount to admitting you bat for the other side.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
I don't know whether this is just my experience, but when going round Woolies to do the weekly food shop, I always notice that people look so grumpy and miserable. The isles are narrow and in the UK when there was a traffic jam full of trollies, people would acknowledge you with a smile if you let them through. Over here they just keep a sour face, like you've annoyed them or something. They seem to be so unfriendly - in the UK we would laugh about the isles being chokka with trollies. Has anyone else noticed this?
On a similar note, I have noticed that when you are driving and you need to switch lanes, say in order to turn right, if you indicate, people will just not let you in - they seem to speed up and close the gap on purpose. Maybe this is just because we live in fast paced Sydney, but driving curtesy seems to be terrible. People rarely thank you if you let them in, or past on a narrow road. What are other people's experiences?
I live in Sydney too and maybe it's just the Northern Beaches? I live in the feral SW Sydney and usually find that people in the supermarkets are fine - no worse and no better than in the UK except less crowded. I do find the staff really friendly because they know me and we have chats about stuff. In the UK the supermarkets were much bigger and staff rotation frequent and this wasn't possible (not saying this is bad, just different).

I agree about the driving though and miss the greater courtesy in the UK where it was a habit for people to let you go. But this is a cultural thing I guess. If people aren't used to it, they don't appreciate it and they don't do it.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
I live in Sydney too and maybe it's just the Northern Beaches? I live in the feral SW Sydney and usually find that people in the supermarkets are fine - no worse and no better than in the UK except less crowded. I do find the staff really friendly because they know me and we have chats about stuff. In the UK the supermarkets were much bigger and staff rotation frequent and this wasn't possible (not saying this is bad, just different).

I agree about the driving though and miss the greater courtesy in the UK where it was a habit for people to let you go. But this is a cultural thing I guess. If people aren't used to it, they don't appreciate it and they don't do it.

Just shows that it does depend on where you live, where I lived in the UK no-one would let you out or in. They always had to be in front, like there was some competition on who got there first. Of course, I'd rather get the in one piece
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:19 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Just shows that it does depend on where you live, where I lived in the UK no-one would let you out or in. They always had to be in front, like there was some competition on who got there first. Of course, I'd rather get the in one piece
It always amazes me why people rush to get to work

I in turn let every tom dick and harry in to give me more time to myself
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
It always amazes me why people rush to get to work

I in turn let every tom dick and harry in to give me more time to myself
Most of them didn't work
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:52 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Secretly I am that BAD driver you all hate.
No secret about it now, Badge.

I have found it very unchallenging driving here. On our hols we drove up to Coomba and it was just straight road all the way until a bit of National Park. It's the straight road which is the killer. Very fatiguing to drive on imo.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Yes, I miss TK Maxx...
I know Stoke Hammond well. Nice village.
I'm sure it is even nicer if the by-pass has been finished. But a bit isolated for an old'un. Mum moved to Wendover a couple of years ago and she's much happier in the thick of it there.

Mark
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:50 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

On a similar note, I have noticed that when you are driving and you need to switch lanes, say in order to turn right, if you indicate, people will just not let you in - they seem to speed up and close the gap on purpose. Maybe this is just because we live in fast paced Sydney, but driving curtesy seems to be terrible. People rarely thank you if you let them in, or past on a narrow road. What are other people's experiences?
I have certainly noticed this, no one will let you in even if the traffic is going nowhere, I think courtesy is a bit more American over here - it doesn't exist much. Even the English noble tradition of forming a queue doesn't exist, its more a case of if you dont open your mouth and try and get served then someone else will jump in front of you.
You have just got to do as the Romans do...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by canaveral
This is so totally true. Maybe I lived in an area in the U.K where people had manners because in North Sydney there seems to be a lot of rude, mannerless people.
Have you noticed how they get their kids to push in front of you too?
Don't even start me off about driving.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed mad manners and sour people in supermarkets. The staff at the checkout are normally fine - it's the shoppers that look so miserable. We spent 5 years living in Liverpool before we came to Sydney, so maybe I'd just got used to the friendly Liverpudlians. Maybe if the shopping experience was nicer, people would be more open and friendly. It's sad, but I used to look forward to a trip down to Sainsburys or Asda - I now only go shopping when I really have to. It's not the experience it was in the UK - but that's OK - going down to the beach definately beats a trip round Asda!!!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mbike
UK supermarkets have spent millions of pounds making their stores places people like to be - nice wide aisles where you can linger (especially in the high value chilled short life pre-prepared sections where the most money is to be made), narrow ailses where the margins are narrower, a dozen different trolley types, warm halogen lighting, in store ambient scenting etc. This is the result of focus groups they run to find out wnat the target markets wants (creche, free nappies in the toilets, anyone?). It is like a war to win the hearts and minds of consumers and the battle in the uk is all but won. Hence nearly everyone is happy to shop. Over here that revolution hasn't happened yet so supermarkets just "are" - consumers can take them or leave them.

Mark
This is so true. Give it another 10 years and maybe we'll have happy faces in the supermarket aisles.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed mad manners and sour people in supermarkets. The staff at the checkout are normally fine - it's the shoppers that look so miserable. We spent 5 years living in Liverpool before we came to Sydney, so maybe I'd just got used to the friendly Liverpudlians. Maybe if the shopping experience was nicer, people would be more open and friendly. It's sad, but I used to look forward to a trip down to Sainsburys or Asda - I now only go shopping when I really have to. It's not the experience it was in the UK - but that's OK - going down to the beach definately beats a trip round Asda!!!

I love the Liverpudlian people, they are so much fun. I had loads of friends from there before I came here, they sure knew how to have a good time

Have to say that grocery shopping is just the worst thing in the world and I'm not too happy when I have to do it either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.