Grocerys ....

Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

beanz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Grocerys ....

$300 per week for two of us, that is for all food as we don't have much in the way of restaurants or take aways here. The quality of our fruit and veg is pretty slack, I think our area much get all the leftovers! For a while I was ordering organic fruit and veg from Brisbane which was great but became too expensive.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:21 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:29 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
I went shopping yesterday and spent $176, then went to the butchers and spent $40, I also spent $40 the day before aswell. All this is $256, a fortnightly shopping bill for two adults and one teenager.

I will still need to go out and get bread, milk and odds and sods. This was also included a few extras that I don't buy every week like, razor heads, deoderant etc.

Here was the cost of a few things at Woolworths on the GC, in dollars 17/07/08

3kg bag of raw sugar - 2.50
Mach 3 quatro pack of 8 razor heads - 20.79
HB diced tomatoes - 0.49
HB Basmalti rice 1kg - 2.99
Coke Zero 2L - 2.99
Dolmio Sauce 550g - 1.89
HB Pasta 500g - 0.79
Gala apples 1.5kg bag - 4.96
Bag of Tomatoes 1kg - 2.38
HB Cheese 500g - 3.99
12 Free range eggs - 4.99
Wholemeal rolls 12 pk - 2.99
Wholemeal brown bread - 1.79
Nescafe coffee 400g - 12.98
Womans deoderant - 4.99
Kleenex toilet rolls 6pk - 4.29

Some of these things above were on special. Hope this helps
This is what I was seeing on the woolworths site so its good to haveit backed up. chances are if we move we will stock up on coffee which we dont drink ....

Oh and i have a cultural question , where the mach 3 blades still on open display or are they behind glass or a counter ?

Tesco 17-07-08 in sterling

Toilet rolls 12 = 3.99
bread rolls 4 = 40p
tinned chopped tomatos = 21p
Dolmio lasagne sauce = 1.48
Mixed veg frozen = 95p
Salad onions = 1.00
teabags 40 = 1.30
cornflkes = 1.38
stir fry mix lrg = 1.50
new potatos small = .85p
pack spaghetti = .54p

But everything as i said is probably on special...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zambia

Oh and i have a cultural question , where the mach 3 blades still on open display or are they behind glass or a counter ?
At my Coles they are on open display on their own. In Ireland they where in big plastic security boxes like DVD’s, lol

Why are the blades so expensive? Everywhere I have been in the world they charge outrageous prices for them..... Guess they know it’s something we NEED!

Mikey
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:53 pm

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Ah this is a good thing You see for years i worked in store security(In Dublin Actually)). I lost count of the amount of times i would chase some idiot who would clear the shelf of these things and bolt out the front door.

However a lot of the time they would get away with it. At first all the doodgy areas moved them behind glass then all areas followed.

So Aus residents if you see Disposable razor blades go off open display , crime is on the up.

The reason they are so expensive is the rate of theft, the reason they are stolen is they are easily sold in pubs , door to door etc...It a chicken and egg thing
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

So Aus residents if you see Disposable razor blades go off open display , crime is on the up.
Different approach here, anytime you walk out of a store you have to get any bags larger than a handbag checked by an employee. Same applies at the supermarket checkout, they will ask to check your other bags.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
Different approach here, anytime you walk out of a store you have to get any bags larger than a handbag checked by an employee. Same applies at the supermarket checkout, they will ask to check your other bags.
Yea, I find that so rude. It’s a “condition of entry” that your bag be open to inspection when leaving!

PS: Zambia, it wasn’t Dunnes or Roches by any chance was it? lol

Mikey
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the razors were on open display, I couldn't believe the price myself as my husband usually buys them himself.

Interesting theory about the crime rate, never thought of it that way myself.

Also another thing to note that supermarkets don't stock alcohol. You have to go to the bottle shop for that which is a bit of a pain.

So, first the supermarket, then the butchers, maybe the veg shop then finally the bottle shop, phew thank god I brought that drink I'm knackered
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
here in Adelaide as a family of 4..... i would say 3 adults and 1 child (our 13 year old eats as an adult We spend about $250/300 a week.
We do buy good mince/chicken breast etc.... i do the kids pack lunches out of that. Does not include booze!
Our food bill here is as expensive as our mortgage, and our mortgage in the Uk was pretty high at the time over, 800 hundred pounds and our shopping bill just 400 pounds work that one out? i havent'!

I just find here that when i spend $20 dollars it feels like 20 pounds!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:18 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a quick look online and heres what i see.

BTW Saturday is the day for big shop!! so the last one was Sat 12th July

we must buy a few things during the week cause we forgot them at the weekend or our big shop was all crap OR we are seriously trying to reach obesity OR last but not least we just buy what we need and its costing us a fortune!

Originally Posted by Desire
Hi,
here in Adelaide as a family of 4..... i would say 3 adults and 1 child (our 13 year old eats as an adult We spend about $250/300 a week.
We do buy good mince/chicken breast etc.... i do the kids pack lunches out of that. Does not include booze!
Our food bill here is as expensive as our mortgage, and our mortgage in the Uk was pretty high at the time over, 800 hundred pounds and our shopping bill just 400 pounds work that one out? i havent'!

I just find here that when i spend $20 dollars it feels like 20 pounds!
Attached Thumbnails Grocerys ....-food-crap.jpg  

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Jul 18th 2008 at 9:26 am.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:22 am

Dunnes stores Crumlin shopping centre beside dolphins barn. Classy spot....

I worked security In Sydney in 1996 and noticed the whole check your bag thing its bloody rude.

Cant really read that thumbnail Glesga
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Dunnes stores Crumlin shopping centre beside dolphins barn. Classy spot....
Haha, I knew it! I worked there in that dunnes as a teenager from 2000 - 2003, what a kip. Shop was always getting robbed, and had the most orkward layout (one supermarket but you have to buy your dry grocerys first then head over for your frozen) lol

Mikey
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:01 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Hi there

My Hubby and I have just arrived in Brisbane (well 2 months ago) and here is a rough idea of what I am spending.

I am frugal and tend to buy specials too, I check the brochures and shop where the most specials I want are.

First shop was about $140.00 - included things such as spices, flour, sugar etc. We had already got a few bits like coffee and tea previously, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Then next shop about a week later was $220.00. This was because I went a little crazy and brought a bit of meat (roast pork, lamb, beef, some chicken breast, mince, sausages, a few reduced itemsetc) as well as topping up the cupboard with more tinned stuff etc.

That shop lasted about two weeks, then last week I spent $70.

My reckoning is that I will spend between $110-$130 a week and that will include the milk and bread midway through I usually top up. We also usually get a takeaway and eat out lunches on the weekend. I tend to buy on special items - no sense in buying full price toilet paper when there is always one on special every other week to my liking - same with pepsi and such.

I think prices are similar - some things are dearer, but I am already learning to switch or adapt. Indian foods seeing as they are not as popular here is more expensive, but ingredients for thai are cheaper (for example).

I have shopped at Woolies, Coles and IGA. IGA is the cheaper, then Woolies, then Coles but this week Coles has some great specials of things I need so I will be going there. BILO isn't near me but that's where I used to shop, then there is ALDI, but I agree with you, it's not that much better on the budget I have.

I don't think you will have any problems - you sound like a sensible shopper!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Haha, I knew it! I worked there in that dunnes as a teenager from 2000 - 2003, what a kip. Shop was always getting robbed, and had the most orkward layout (one supermarket but you have to buy your dry grocerys first then head over for your frozen) lol

Mikey
Yes truly horrible layout only ever served the purpose that ever old dear in the area could visit 5 different tills in one grocery shop spending 5 minutes chatting at each one.

It was a great place to work though never a dull moment.

Wheeler cheers for that, reckon with the missus in tow it wont be a problem after the posts from various people.

To get a balanced view on Aus i visit the Moving back to the uk threads to hear what a lot of folks have to say on Aus as i like to get a balanced opinion.
Shopping was a big thing for a lot of people,i can gleam from the posts here that shopping in the UK is better/cheaper but its no huge factor by any means.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
I went shopping yesterday and spent $176, then went to the butchers and spent $40, I also spent $40 the day before aswell. All this is $256, a fortnightly shopping bill for two adults and one teenager.

I will still need to go out and get bread, milk and odds and sods. This was also included a few extras that I don't buy every week like, razor heads, deoderant etc.

Here was the cost of a few things at Woolworths on the GC, in dollars 17/07/08

3kg bag of raw sugar - 2.50
Mach 3 quatro pack of 8 razor heads - 20.79
HB diced tomatoes - 0.49
HB Basmalti rice 1kg - 2.99
Coke Zero 2L - 2.99
Dolmio Sauce 550g - 1.89
HB Pasta 500g - 0.79
Gala apples 1.5kg bag - 4.96
Bag of Tomatoes 1kg - 2.38
HB Cheese 500g - 3.99
12 Free range eggs - 4.99
Wholemeal rolls 12 pk - 2.99
Wholemeal brown bread - 1.79
Nescafe coffee 400g - 12.98
Womans deoderant - 4.99
Kleenex toilet rolls 6pk - 4.29

I don't tend to buy ready meals so everything is cooked fresh, simple family meals, maybe this is how I keep the cost down?
Some of these things above were on special. Hope this helps
Scrawni,I,m pretty good at making meals,but what did you make with that list that would last you two weeks???
Donna

Last edited by donna; Jul 18th 2008 at 11:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.