Grocerys ....

Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:17 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Grocerys ....

Hi

Addressed to any recent aus arrivals

I was wondering what is the story on a grocery shop in Australia.

We just finished a Tesco fortnightly shop and it came to £70 ($140). Taking into account wages are different like everyone else on the planet food is really going up in the UK.

The best example I have is a small tin of tuna went from 29p to 45p since we last shopped.

Contents of the shop did not have a lot of meat as thats taken from the butchers next door and same goes for booze. We would spend about £15 on meat a week in the butchers & £15 on booze.

How are you finding your shopping bills compared to the UK, on a scale of 1 - 10.

10 Being Aus markets are virtually giving food away
5 Shop is about the same the UK relative to Aus income.
1 Being that you feel like calling the cops at the checkout as your being robbed

Thanks for reading
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Grocerys ....

Originally Posted by Zambia
Hi

We just finished a Tesco fortnightly shop and it came to £70 ($140). Taking into account wages are different like everyone else on the planet food is really going up in the UK.

The best example I have is a small tin of tuna went from 29p to 45p since we last shopped.

Contents of the shop did not have a lot of meat as thats taken from the butchers next door and same goes for booze. We would spend about £15 on meat a week in the butchers & £15 on booze.

How are you finding your shopping bills compared to the UK, on a scale of 1 - 10.

1 Being that you feel like calling the cops at the checkout as your being robbed

Thanks for reading
£70 for a fortnightly shop How many is we? If i spent that much for shopping for two weeks i would be dancing through the checkout.

I think i would spend that much on the booze alone

Paddy
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:51 pm

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
£70 for a fortnightly shop How many is we? If i spent that much for shopping for two weeks i would be dancing through the checkout.

I think i would spend that much on the booze alone

Paddy
My apologies just 2 of us
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

My apologies just 2 of us
i spend that in a week... easy! family of 3 adults, 2 children!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

We just finished a Tesco fortnightly shop and it came to £70 ($140).

OMG I wish......................

I too faithfully shop in Tesco's every week and have noticed it jump in recent weeks up to at least £95 That's for 2 adults and 2 kids (who eat nothing but pasta!!!!!!!) Tell me which Tesco's you shop at 'cos if I can reduce my bill to £70 a fortnight by driving to Belfast I certainly will

Lynn xx
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:51 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmmmmmmmm lets see,

The easy way to check this out was the bank statement as normaly we have no cash in our pockets and the card is used all the time for everything.

anyway, as for last week between Coles/Woolworths and the local shop for the bits and pieces for a family of 4 we had spent $670 and that was for 1 week Mon-Mon!!!!!!!

This is something i have been trying to figure out snce we came here as to why we spend so much compared to back home. We only buy what we always have done but are spending double what we would back home.

Who said food was cheaper here in Aus????????????

Just one last thing on this We did not buy beer that week

Hi

Thanks for reading
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Australia basically has 2 Food players, woolworth and westfarmers who own basically all supermarkets under the guise of various names, coles, woolworrth, safeway, bilo, franklins, same players Those 2 players also now own 74% of the petrol stations and intend to get to a similar postiion to the supermaket monopoly:curse:

Price of food is extortinate.

We spend $320 a week now for famiy of 4 2a 2 teens, shopping takes around 5 hours a week as we trudge from markets, to suppliers buying meat here, veg there, grocery on special only there, and the german supermarket in brisbane, ALDI which has food about up to 70% less than the cost of aussie supermarkets.

Most of my aussie friends think our food bill is low but its only through effort and time to keep it down. If we shopped like you would in UK, all in the supermarket it would easily be $500 a week probably more.

My son lives with 3 other guys and they put in 150 a week each for food as they dont have time to shop around So thats a $600 a week household for 4.

Lack of competition in OZ in many markets not just food is a major problem.

Expensive.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:05 pm

Hmm

Ok I should clarify my wife is very good at tescos she can smell offers all over the place. Basically if its on offer it gets brought and frozen. She has spent a lot of time and effort on correcting my old methods of shopping. So 70 is like the minium we can get by on.

In answer to your question lynn its Tesco's in knocknagoney.

If we shopped like we used to it would probably hit £110 each fortnight.

We attempted Aldi/Lidl but found that in a lot of cases it did not actually beat tescos.

Pasta was also on the list of items a basic tescos spaghetti went from 49 to 64 pence in the last month.

Has anyone in Aus managed to feed two people on less than 200 AUD?

Oh and another question what you save on heating do you spend on Air con?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I spend approximatley $150 every day here !!

I used to spend about £70 a day back at home, but that normally included wine, bread, meat etc...

We dont put the air con on in our place when its hot, I really dont like it.

However at the moment its on every evening and morning....

WARMING THE BL##DY PLACE UP!!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone in Aus managed to feed two people on less than 200 AUD?
Me and my partner spend over $250-$300 on a WEEKLY shop (it’s just us 2).
That’s at Coles, there is ALDI here (but it’s too far for me) and there is also Franklins in the suburbs, which is pretty cheap.

Oh and another question what you save on heating do you spend on Air con?
I have Air con and heating, I use them all the time and have to say it’s one thing I find very cheap here, my electricity bill came last week – My water and oven are also electrical, they whole bill for 3 months was only $90. Which is good considering we each have 2 showers a day, always cooking, TV and both laptops always on and heating/air con always going, light’s always on etc. (I’d hate to see my carbon footprint).

Mikey
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:27 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi zambia, we are currently on the sunshine coast, in my family there are 2 adults and 2 littlies 1 in nappies, our weekly shop is $100 cos we drive to aldi as its the cheapest around, this does not include meat, i go to meat world and fill my freezer for $70 which lasts a couple of weeks, generall meat is a lot cheaper than woolies and coles, i bought minted legs of lamb for $3.50 and trays of sausage for $5, in the week i do buy extra bread and milk but I get bread from a local shop at $1.20, my friends spend $250 a week and there are 2 of them she just cant see how i do it, my hubby and kids are big eaters so i'm not starving them, but because we are a low income family we just cant simply afford to spend a lot so we check prices and make sure we actually need it, all i can say is it can be done.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:32 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

oh yeah to get to aldi's its a 40 min drive but well worth it we spend the day in noosa and visit friends.
We have aircon and have used it a lot for heating during winter, we all have showers everyday and constantly cook and watch tv, our bill for 3 months was $280
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:34 pm

Wow there are really some differences coming out here , thanks for the replys.

Welsh Sarah my wife has offered to do your shopping for you as that amount is staggering. $150 a day is a fortune fair play to you if you have it to spend the mere effort of spending 150 dollars a day would depress me even if I had it to spend.

fantastic feedback folks ...
Would anyone say food is the highest weekly expense?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Would anyone say food is the highest weekly expense?
No, Tax is.

Not including my rent, I would put food as my highest weekly expense.

But as said above, if you go to ADLI or Franklins you usually can get it cheaper .

Mikey
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I went shopping yesterday and spent $176, then went to the butchers and spent $40, I also spent $40 the day before aswell. All this is $256, a fortnightly shopping bill for two adults and one teenager.

I will still need to go out and get bread, milk and odds and sods. This was also included a few extras that I don't buy every week like, razor heads, deoderant etc.

Here was the cost of a few things at Woolworths on the GC, in dollars 17/07/08

3kg bag of raw sugar - 2.50
Mach 3 quatro pack of 8 razor heads - 20.79
HB diced tomatoes - 0.49
HB Basmalti rice 1kg - 2.99
Coke Zero 2L - 2.99
Dolmio Sauce 550g - 1.89
HB Pasta 500g - 0.79
Gala apples 1.5kg bag - 4.96
Bag of Tomatoes 1kg - 2.38
HB Cheese 500g - 3.99
12 Free range eggs - 4.99
Wholemeal rolls 12 pk - 2.99
Wholemeal brown bread - 1.79
Nescafe coffee 400g - 12.98
Womans deoderant - 4.99
Kleenex toilet rolls 6pk - 4.29

I don't tend to buy ready meals so everything is cooked fresh, simple family meals, maybe this is how I keep the cost down?
Some of these things above were on special. Hope this helps

Last edited by Scrawni 2; Jul 17th 2008 at 11:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.