Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Property Swindle

The Great Australian Property Swindle

Old Mar 30th 2011, 12:07 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Originally Posted by hevs
ok, I'll bite....why?
No reason. Just made it up once and I'm sticking to it.

As for your immediate problem you could use hedging. Buy your new property but hedge against a market fall by shorting the market. i.e. sell your neighbour's property and buy it back if the price falls.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 12:11 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi

As for your immediate problem you could use hedging. Buy your new property but hedge against a market fall by shorting the market. i.e. sell your neighbour's property and buy it back if the price falls.
I used to like you
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:10 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I used to like you
Sorry. I have no idea.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:18 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
You remind me of this other guy who used to make outlandish predictions.

"it'll be $2.40 by September" he used to say.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:36 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by bcworld
You remind me of this other guy who used to make outlandish predictions.

"it'll be $2.40 by September" he used to say.
That was way off the mark. It didn't hit 2.4 until the first week of October.

1.72 by October was a cracker.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fish.01
Apparently we had a permanent structural adjustment around 1999/2000 that means our interest rates are following a permanently lower course. Same deal for inflation which I think may be part of the equation. Just what I read the experts saying so can't add much to that.
Does inflation feel low to you? It certainly didn't feel low to me 6 months ago in Sydney in fact it felt bloody high, except of course for salary inflation that was low and that was with a strong dollar. I think you were refering to reported inflation which seems to be biased towards electronics which do tend to go down in price and make inflation look reasonable.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by isgraham
Does inflation feel low to you? It certainly didn't feel low to me 6 months ago in Sydney in fact it felt bloody high, except of course for salary inflation that was low and that was with a strong dollar. I think you were refering to reported inflation which seems to be biased towards electronics which do tend to go down in price and make inflation look reasonable.
That's right, inflation figures are always bauked by the Government who use products such as electronic goods, do your own inflation calculation on what you need and buy on a weekly basis, doesn't seem low to me.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of your inflation theories about absolute current inflation numbers we are talking about relativity between the numbers and how that has affected interest rates.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
Do you have any links which explain the bias towards electronics?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fish.01
Do you have any links which explain the bias towards electronics?
I didn't say bias, I said the government uses electronics goods etc to offset the real inflation rises in such things as food alcohol, health care and housing. This brings the overall inflation figure down.

You don't have to buy electronics goods if you don't want/need to.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/6401.0
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:40 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
I didn't say bias, I said the government uses electronics goods etc to offset the real inflation rises in such things as food alcohol, health care and housing. This brings the overall inflation figure down.

You don't have to buy electronics goods if you don't want/need to.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/6401.0
Come on mate, you don't really believe that do you?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say bias
He wasn't quoting you.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Originally Posted by bcworld
He wasn't quoting you.
This is is true , still got the info in there.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by asprilla
Come on mate, you don't really believe that do you?
Believe what?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 12:01 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Believe what?
err....

I thought that highlighting it in bold would be enough. But I can spell it out for you again.

I'm talking about the part where you say that the government uses electronics to offset real inflation rises. Are you crazy ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.