Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Originally Posted by Weebie
If we were going to have a bubble burst it would of happened by now.

Perth for instance is about to hit Boom mach 2 I can't see property prices going down especielly if people keep migrating here.
You are kidding? Explain how listings in Perth have risen 50% since January and how comes rents are unchanged from 18 months ago? Have a look on REIWA and see the amount of properties that are not shifting, just piling up all unsold. How comes retail in Perth is suffering along with the other mining state, Queeensland? Only 1.5% of people work in mining.

Perth is overpriced now, not the draw card for migrants anymore, it's had it's boom migration period.

EDIT: Watch the Perth September quarter price statistics when they are realeased in a week or so, falls all round on top of the 2.5% drop in the June quarter. My guesstimate is that Perth prices will be off 5% over the last 6 months and no sign of getting better.

Last edited by pomtastic; Sep 28th 2010 at 8:55 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:21 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I have said 'before tax'. These hypothetical scenarios also ignore the fact that interest costs are typically 4 times the rental cost in the current market if I recall correctly. The hypothetical scenarios mentioned here are particularly benign.
But rent is generally paid out of post tax salary (assuming most people don't get salary sacrifice). So how can you compare a before tax item with an after tax item? You were calculating his lost opportunity in pre tax dollars for something that would normally be paid for in post tax dollars.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Sep 28th 2010 at 7:25 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
But rent is generally paid out of post tax salary (assuming most people don't get salary sacrifice). So how can you compare a before tax item with an after tax item? You were calculating his lost opportunity in pre tax dollars for something that would normally be paid for in post tax dollars.
I clearly said "before tax", I did not claim they were directly comparable. It's a poor example anyway because we have no idea what his property would rent for on the open market so we have nothing to compare to.

If anyone here is trying to prove that property investment or home ownership in the current market in Australia is a winner on a cash basis they will fail comprehensively. I'm not sure how well informed or studied the property bulls here are but I might save some people some time by pointing that out. I would welcome anyway to challenge that hypothesis but in the main it's true unless you get into some sort of exotic deals or relying on guarantees from dodgy people/entities. If property were a winner on a cash basis then people would not be relying on negative gearing. The statistics from the ATO illustrate this clearly. 70% of landlords report a loss on their tax returns currently. You may point to the other 30%, but there could be many reasons for their break-even / profit.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:38 am
Account Closed

I clearly said "before tax", I did not claim they were directly comparable. It's a poor example anyway because we have no idea what his property would rent for on the open market so we have nothing to compare to.

If anyone here is trying to prove that property investment or home ownership in the current market in Australia is a winner on a cash basis they will fail comprehensively. I'm not sure how well informed or studied the property bulls here are but I might save some people some time by pointing that out. I would welcome anyway to challenge that hypothesis but in the main it's true unless you get into some sort of exotic deals or relying on guarantees from dodgy people/entities. If property were a winner on a cash basis then people would not be relying on negative gearing. The statistics from the ATO illustrate this clearly. 70% of landlords report a loss on their tax returns currently. You may point to the 30%, but there could be many reasons for their break-even / profit.
I heard you say before tax the first time. Does that mean I can't ask about it?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I heard you say before tax the first time. Does that mean I can't ask about it?
I can't help it if you can't pick up on the response. They are not comparable. I did not say they are comparable. Is that clear enough?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Sure.

But the tax on interest seems to have been ignored in some of the scenarios. For example $148pw for Vash's equity is more like $100pw and could be as low as $75pw after tax.
Actually, the figure would be between $143 and $81.4 after tax.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:45 am
Account Closed

I can't help it if you can't pick up on the response. They are not comparable. I did not say they are comparable. Is that clear enough?
You said it was equivalent* to $400pw. Which it is clearly not. Is that clear?

(Love the patronising. Keep up the good work )
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:47 am
Account Closed

Actually, the figure would be between $143 and $81.4 after tax.
If someone was on FTB taper out then they would pay 30c tax and lose 20c of FTB on each extra $ plus 1.5% medicare which would put their marginal tax rate at 51.5%
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

You said it was equivalent* to $400pw. Which it is clearly not. Is that clear?

(Love the patronising. Keep up the good work )
I believe (and intended to) I said ~$400 in every instance. If I omitted the ~ then I must apologise.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:52 am
Account Closed

I believe (and intended to) I said ~$400 in every instance. If I omitted the ~ then I must apologise.
Okay. I guess we have different tolerance for ~
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Okay. I guess we have different tolerance for ~
Yes.

Thank you for your figure for maximum marginal rate. This makes the minimum yield on demand deposit 2.92% versus an average yield for rental properties of 3.5%. This is ignoring the bonus interest of 0.5% which would bring the minimum yield to 3.2%.

EDIT: FYI, according to ATO statistics, 80% of negatively geared properties are owned by landlords who have an income of $80,000 or less. Only 3% of negatively geared properties are owned by landlords who earn over $200,000. That may have implications for the discussion around opportunity costs.

Last edited by Steve2009; Sep 28th 2010 at 8:10 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT: FYI, according to ATO statistics, 80% of negatively geared properties are owned by landlords who have an income of $80,000 or less. Only 3% of negatively geared properties are owned by landlords who earn over $200,000. That may have implications for the discussion around opportunity costs.
So the 'poor' are holding all the crap and are taking a flyer at making themselves rich through real estate.

The wealthy aren't touching real estate with a barge pole.

Interesting.

(Not really surprising, the 'wealthy' are probably educated and can actually use a calculator to work out how crap real estate investing is today)
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pomtastic
So the 'poor' are holding all the crap and are taking a flyer at making themselves rich through real estate.
I'm not as au fait with Australian demographics as I would be in my native country but I think the average wage in Australia is about $75,000 for a male? You would expect at least half of the working population to earn under that figure. The figures would suggest that bad property investments are more popular among low earners but the figures not as heavily skewed as you would initially think.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Question Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

See the website the unconventional economist for a very detailed an incisive view of this problem/bubble.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

I'm not as au fait with Australian demographics as I would be in my native country but I think the average wage in Australia is about $75,000 for a male? You would expect at least half of the working population to earn under that figure. The figures would suggest that bad property investments are more popular among low earners but the figures not as heavily skewed as you would initially think.
or possibly a decent accountant that can be creative with figures perhaps?

i know of people who earn a decent wage here and they can get their tax liability down to practically nothing by using a decent accountant....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.