Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice
Default The Great Australian Housing Bubble

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2270...housing-bubble
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Who knows but we have had

fir trees
ostriches
emus

they all ended up last man standing holds the baby so why not housing, when is the question?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

This is a very good, fact based article.

There was a much shorter article in the SMH yesterday, talking about the possible softening in commodity prices in the next 2-3 years.

We will be selling up in about 15 months time, so fingers crossed that things hold up OK until then! A "correction" certainly seems due at some time.

This leads me to a thought: sell up now, and rent for the last 15 months of our time here? My wife would never agree to that, so it's more of a theoretical question!

There are still tons of apartment blocks going up in our area (upper North Shore), so there has to be more supply, certainly around us. But people keep buying them (Chinese investors and residents?)

Anyone else with a good crystal ball?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another thread on this shite.

FFS, change the record.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yet another thread on this shite.

FFS, change the record.
For along time I was of the opinion that a massive crash beyond infinity was about to hit the Australian housing market, but now I am not so sure. Look at the UK. People don't realise it but the UK economy was effectively crunched into **** in 2008 - 2009. It's one of the most dangerously indebted countries on Earth, its currency has been turned into toilet paper, its skilled population are in exodus from the place and unemployment is rising stadily all the time.

And yet house prices are not falling because sellers are simply refusing to sell. If UK can keep house prices inflated to their current suicidal level than Australia certainly can. I would not expect a housing crash in Australia any time soon, even with rate rises. I'm not saying they shouldn't fall - because their high prices are really damaging an entire generation, but that they won't.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
And yet house prices are not falling because sellers are simply refusing to sell.
Also in the UK the govt. are paying people's mortgages if they can't afford to pay for them, the rate that they are paying is actually more than the mortgage payments in many cases. Plenty of people are actually making money from this. Crazy. The rate at which they pay it is going to be/has been cut though.

I would never underestimate the Australian government and what lengths they are going/will go to keep the property bubble inflated in Australia.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:43 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Originally Posted by killerhales
This leads me to a thought: sell up now, and rent for the last 15 months of our time here?
No. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it would be much more expensive to rent than buy. My mortgage is $157,000, I have ~45% equity, and I pay ~$250 a week. There's no way in hell I could afford to rent a comparable house for that money. Better to sit tight, ride out the interest rate hikes, and keep grinding my mortgage down.

There are still tons of apartment blocks going up in our area (upper North Shore), so there has to be more supply, certainly around us. But people keep buying them (Chinese investors and residents?)
This "Chinese investors" thing always leaves me scratching my head. Why do so many people believe that the Chinese are buying up masses of Australian real estate? Where's the evidence for this?

Anyone else with a good crystal ball?
No, but I do have some interesting graphs:

Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Also in the UK the govt. are paying people's mortgages if they can't afford to pay for them, the rate that they are paying is actually more than the mortgage payments in many cases. Plenty of people are actually making money from this. Crazy. The rate at which they pay it is going to be/has been cut though.
I read about this but I didn't believe it. Do you know how the govt. are making these payments? Just cash in the bank?? How is eligibility assessed - the more bloody feckless you were the more likely you are to get help??

I would never underestimate the Australian government and what lengths they are going/will go to keep the property bubble inflated in Australia.
Agreed. I think FTBs are screwed and homeowners are safe.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it would be much more expensive to rent than buy. My mortgage is $157,000, I have ~45% equity, and I pay ~$250 a week. There's no way in hell I could afford to rent a comparable house for that money. Better to sit tight, ride out the interest rate hikes, and keep grinding my mortgage down.
I think the opposite is true. In Australia rent is much cheaper than in the UK, but in both countries house prices are suicidally high. And also, with respect, how many FTBs could get a decent property in Australia by borrowing 157k?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

I think the opposite is true. In Australia rent is much cheaper than in the UK, but in both countries house prices are suicidally high. And also, with respect, how many FTBs could get a decent property in Australia by borrowing 157k?
rent much cheaper? wouldnt know about that like
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
rent much cheaper? wouldnt know about that like
You don't get to rent a four bedroom detached house in England for £800 per month. I paid £800 per month for a one bedroom flat near London and that was 10 years ago so God knows what it woudl be now.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

You don't get to rent a four bedroom detached house in England for £800 per month. I paid £800 per month for a one bedroom flat near London and that was 10 years ago so God knows what it woudl be now.

It is cheaper to buy than rent everywhere in UK except London.

http://www.propertycommunity.com/pro...operty-uk.html

You'd be hard pushed to find anywhere in Australia where it is cheaper to buy than rent.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:07 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I was down in Melbourne the other day, I could hardly get on and off the tram because of all those Chinese millionaires....

I expect Melbourne house prices will double within 3 years.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla
I was down in Melbourne the other day, I could hardly get on and off the tram because of all those Chinese millionaires....

I expect Melbourne house prices will double within 3 years.
One thing that would seriously ruin the Australian housing bubble would be a crashing of the Chinese economy or their own housing bubble. If China starts to leak and deflate then you know it's only a matter of time before Aussie goes down the pan as well.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

we all have heard stories like that.

after spending time in both places i've found that what i pay per week in rent now would cover my mortgage back home.

renting in sydney is expensive - if you can prove otherwise then i am all ears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.