Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Originally Posted by Steve2009
If the renter also saves $100 a month then they are in the same position except the renter does not have the positive/negative risk of property market fluctuations.
But the owner eventually gets to let the asset out irrespective of the value of the property.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Seneca21
But the owner eventually gets to let the asset out irrespective of the value of the property.
I don't see your point. The renter still ends up with a lump sum to do with whatever they like. Whether that is investing in property or some other investment or keep on demand deposit. Average rental yields in Australia are currently 3.5%, demand deposits are 6%. It's a no-brainer.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

surely the owner of the property would have an assett to sell or rent?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
surely the owner of the property would have an assett to sell or rent?
Exactly. Person A rents a 300,000 house for 25 years, Person B pays mortgage on a 300,000 house for 25 years. In that time both people pay 1000 per month for their accommodation and pay 1000 per month into a savings account.

So put very simply because this is a simple point, in 25 years' time. Person A has paid 300,000 to his landlord and is then asked to leave and has 300,000 in savings, and Person B has paid 300,000 to the bank and now has an asset worth 300,000 and 300,000 in savings. So Person B has 600k and Person A has 300k - and Person A's landlord has way more than either, probably.

Last edited by Seneca21; Sep 28th 2010 at 4:43 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Exactly. Person A rents a 300,000 house for 25 years, Person B pays mortgage on a 300,000 house for 25 years. In that time both people pay 1000 per month for their accommodation and pay 1000 per month into a savings account.

So put very simply because this is a simple point, in 25 years' time. Person A has paid 300,000 to his landlord and is then asked to leave and has 300,000 in cash, and Person B has paid 300,000 to the bank and now has an asset worth 300,000 and 300,000 in savings. So Person B has 600k and Person A has 300k.
You seem to have missed the point completely. A mortgage payment has two components, one is mortgage interest and one is capital repayment. Consider this, revisit your figures and let me know if I need to elaborate.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:48 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

You seem to have missed the point completely. A mortgage payment has two components, one is mortgage interest and one is capital repayment. Consider this, revisit your figures and let me know if I need to elaborate.
I seem to be missing the point completely - could you elaborate for me?

I'm guessing there is an assumption that renting is cheaper than buying?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Just because it doesn't change your cash position doesn't mean it's not a cost.
I think you mean a hypothetical cost. It's not a real cost; it's not a sum I am actually paying.

You talk about 'recovery' in the UK market like it's a given fact too.
No, I talk about "recovery" in the UK market because it is a likely outcome. I can't think of a single western nation which has never recovered from a property slump (can you?) It may take time, but it eventually happens.

No offence, but people are often irrational when it comes to property. The heart rules the head. If it were a business they would be a lot more cold and analytical.
Yes, I agree. No offence taken, because that's not how I approach my property decisions.

But how old will you be in 2075?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
I seem to be missing the point completely - could you elaborate for me?

I'm guessing there is an assumption that renting is cheaper than buying?
Yes, but even aside from that, the fundamental mistake he made is that person B is renting money from the bank.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

regardless of that, the point remains that there will still be an asset owned that can be sold or rented - or even equity released from if thats your bag.

it would appear that renting v owning/mortgage is a personal choice.

on your model, i'll quite happily buy properties and have others pay for them and then have assets to own

Last edited by Rod-Helen-Poppy; Sep 28th 2010 at 4:57 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

My post makes it clear that the capital and interest payments of Person B comes to 1000 every month. Revisit it and tell me if you need any assistance. You were so polite to me I can only return the favour.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:07 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Also person A only has $200k in savings and the government has $100k in its coffers.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Also person A only has $200k in savings and the government has $100k in its coffers.
Both persons saved 1000 per month.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
You can't compare Ireland or the US, Spain or any of the other recent big housing busts to Australia's. They are completely different and were a result of massive over supply and lax lending. Here the planning and land release is set to always try and maintain more demand than supply, and it's always been quite hard to get a mortgage, aside from homestart's 100% loans a couple of years ago that is. No more of them, 20% min or you pay insurance to the bank. Only unemployment will trigger a bust here, almost forgot to add the negative gearing chestnut that adds another dimension to things here.

The markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.... or married....
Jimbo, not having a go at you here but a symptom of every bubble known to man is the "its different here" mentality. What IS different is the characteristics and specific behaviours. What is NOT different is the market cycle and the fundamental laws of economics.

Or another way to look at it is, if current trends (20% pa price rises) in some areas of Melbourne for example were to continue, then a 700k house today would in 15 years cost 9mil, moving from 8-9 times average earnings today to around 30 times average earnings in 2025 (assuming ~3% inflation).

There is no way that is sustainable. Everyone knows that. So having accepted that, what are the scenarios? One is a long period of stagnation, the other is a sharp correction. The longer and faster the bubble inflates the likelier the sharp correction. This simply reflects the human behaviour that sees people become more and more desparate as the stakes increase e.g. "I have to get in now or I will never be able to afford it" or "I have to sell because its going to crash".

We've all witnessed that behaviour before. Dot-com bust, Irish housing market, Spanish housing market, US housing market etc.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I think you mean a hypothetical cost. It's not a real cost; it's not a sum I am actually paying.
It's a very real cost. More info... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No, I talk about "recovery" in the UK market because it is a likely outcome. I can't think of a single western nation which has never recovered from a property slump (can you?) It may take time, but it eventually happens.
Sweden, Japan, Amsterdam (although that's going back a century or two), there are many examples. You also have an opportunity cost of the capital employed in the UK. That capital could be in UBank earning 6% too.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:28 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

It's a very real cost. More info... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost
If it was a very real cost, it would be coming out of my bank account. It's not.

Sweden, Japan, Amsterdam (although that's going back a century or two)
Precisely.

there are many examples.
Within the last 20 years? I suspect not.

You also have an opportunity cost of the capital employed in the UK. That capital could be in UBank earning 6% too.
And what happens to our UK mortgage when we withdraw all this equity? (Presuming, of course, that our bank would even allow this). The rent barely covers the mortgage as it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.