Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Graphic Design - Melbourne

Graphic Design - Melbourne

Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of
Default Graphic Design - Melbourne

Hi All,

I did a masters in Product Design at Uni (which is a mixture of graphic design and engineering type stuff - it is essentially the full design process for products).

Since then I have worked in business consulting for 7 years and now have decided to get back into design. Talking to people who teach courses like mine in the UK, they say that if I returned to UK, doing a 1 year full time masters in graphic design would be enough as a refresher to get me back into being able to apply for design jobs.

This is probably what I will do. However, I want to check what would be involved over here (which would avoid me going home). Would a 1 year course (on top of my degree) be enough here? Would it also be a masters at Uni? Or would it be Tafe course? Would there be courses for mature students?

Lots of questions. Don't really know where to start or what websites to look at. Any info much appreciated. Please only reply if you know anything about this as I need correct advice.

Cheers.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graphic Design - Melbourne

Hi there

I would start off by checking out graphic design jobs on Seek to see what they are asking for in experience and qualifications.

Most seem to want Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign skills - not sure where everyone is on Quarke these days as most seem to have moved over to InDesign.

Also check out ads in Creative magazine as there are usually quite a few graphic design jobs and agencies listed there which will help point you in the right direction.

Maybe decide which area of graphics you want to go to .....agency, publishing, packaging etc and see what's needed for that area.

Hope this helps.

KK