Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hornsby and Miranda

Hornsby and Miranda

Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Hornsby and Miranda

Just wondering what peoples opinions are of these areas.

Miranda appeals due to the closeness to Cronulla and beaches, but is quite a distance from centre, especially if work North of centre.

Hornsby has good transport links and should be better for getting to centre, but a distance from beaches.

Both seem to have good shopping facilities.

Not sure about the schools as it is hard to get any decent information in either area.

There's myself, wife and 6 year old (7 in Nov) daughter.

Any one living in either area?

Would like to now about local facilities and parks etc.. for daughter. She's also into her thai boxing so would be good if can find somewhere for her to keep it up in either area
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Re: Hornsby and Miranda

Some body must be living here or are they that bad
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wigan Worry'er!

I'll answer you - even though you are a pie eater.

We lived in Gymea (next suburb to Miranda) and now live in Loftus, which is is just to the south of Sutherland. This part of Sydney is generally called 'The Shire' as in Sutherland Shire which is the council area for these parts...

If you are going to work in the city, to the south of the Harbour Bridge, then anywhere from Sutherland, Kirrawee, Gymea, Miranda, Caringbah and Cronulla would be fine also Engadine maybe. If you're lucky, you can find a house like us which is 10 minutes walk from the station (I doubt you would want to drive in to Sydney every day). Trains take about 45 minutes - 1 hour, just depending which one you get.

Its a great area to live, very safe, some great shopping and a real cafe culture in the village centres. You also have Cronulla Beach and the Royal National Park right on your back door.

The Shire is generally a 'white christian' area, I'm not being racist - just stating it how it is i.e. there is no significant Muslim, Chinese, Indian, etc

I beleive that generally the schools are rated as very good, though we don't have kids.

If you're looking to work north of the harbour, i.e. somewhere like Chatswood, then probably The Shire is too far a commute.

PM me if you want more details.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Roger, worrier is very appropriate at the mo.

Gotta be out of the house on Sept 18th and contract doesn't finish until 6th Nov for work.

All coming around so quick and so much to panic about!!

Not got a job to go to.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I think I may have responded to you about schools in the past (it all blurs after a while I'm afraid ).

Personally I wouldn't want to live in Hornsby itself, though I really like being only 10 minutes away for what it offers. There are a lot of kids' activities around Hornsby, one of my sons did scouts there, my daughter (similar age to yours) did gymnastics for a bit, there are dance schools, kids karate and basically pretty much everything you would want. Hornsby Westfield has all the usual shops (you will soon learn that pretty much all of the shopping centres have the same shops) in a slightly less confusing arrangement that some. You are really close to some stunning National Parks, nice and handy for the F3 if you want to go up to the Central Coast or the Hunter Valley for the weekend. If you want beaches, some people I know who live just North of Hornsby tend to go up the coast for beaches rather than out to the Northern beaches. You need to realise though that your perception of what constitutes "a long way" will probably change once you live here, I'd cheerfully drive half an hour now just to meet someone for coffee whereas on arrival that would have seemed too far.

From what I have heard you either love or hate "the Shire", but you really don't want to commute from the South if you're working North of the bridge.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 11:35 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say anything about Hornsby as have never lived there however Cronulla is great schools are ok according to my friend
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks all
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Thanks Roger, worrier is very appropriate at the mo.

Gotta be out of the house on Sept 18th and contract doesn't finish until 6th Nov for work.

All coming around so quick and so much to panic about!!

Not got a job to go to.
Sounds like you're in a similar situation to us. We've just moved out of our house and OH notice period at work isn't up until 22nd October. We haven't got work lined up yet either.

We're looking at living around Hornsby (although personally I didn't think much of Hornsby itself when we were there it was really grey and built up). We want to be close to some of OH family in Dural and up Newcastle way. They've suggested Mount Kuring-Gai so we've been looking at that and Asquith area.

Our eldest is due to start school here this year, so Oz Jan/Feb. I've found quite a few websites for schools in Hornsby and around, but it's difficult to tell just by websites.

Good luck anyway. Look forward to reading how you get on.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:10 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I thought all Wiganers had to live on the West Coast????? So its Perth for you mate.

Only Super Saints fans are allowed Pacific side.

Seriously though - cant help with your question - never been to either!

Good Luck!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponyrama
I thought all Wiganers had to live on the West Coast????? So its Perth for you mate.

Only Super Saints fans are allowed Pacific side.

Seriously though - cant help with your question - never been to either!

Good Luck!
Thats where I've been going wrong!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

The Cronulla Sharks are rubbish these days so entry into the ground is virtually free!

PS - Schools - look at the Catholic Schools or there's a private one nearby called Innaburra (or something like that). Plenty of kids commute to the private schools closer to the city and I think some private schools may offer a bus service
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Does anyone now about before/after school club availablity in Hornsby (primary school - 7yr old).
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Most, not all, public schools either offer after school care on site or have a connection with a nearby centre which does. Google "after school care Hornsby" and you will get lots of results. Some private schools include it in their fees.