Granny flats?

Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:17 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Granny flats?

How common is it to find properties in WA with granny flats? (I believe they are called sleep-outs over there.) They seem to be quite commonplace in NZ but more scarce in WA. Has anyone had any experience of building one adjacent to their main home?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granny flats?

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
How common is it to find properties in WA with granny flats? (I believe they are called sleep-outs over there.) They seem to be quite commonplace in NZ but more scarce in WA. Has anyone had any experience of building one adjacent to their main home?
A sleep-out is more of a lean to which has been filled in; and sometimes quite badly. The corrogated tin roof has a false ceiling under it, space between the posts are bricked half-way up, top half has either got sliding window frames or just flyscreen in place. Most sleep-outs leak too during heavy rainfall due to gutters not being able to cope.

A granny-flat would ideally be self-contained out the back either free-standing or as an add-on. There are properties in Perth metro area with granny flats, some are purposely built from new.

BTW : Ye should ne'er shove yer granny off a bus!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:47 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bobcat
A sleep-out is more of a lean to which has been filled in; and sometimes quite badly. The corrogated tin roof has a false ceiling under it, space between the posts are bricked half-way up, top half has either got sliding window frames or just flyscreen in place. Most sleep-outs leak too during heavy rainfall due to gutters not being able to cope.

A granny-flat would ideally be self-contained out the back either free-standing or as an add-on. There are properties in Perth metro area with granny flats, some are purposely built from new.

BTW : Ye should ne'er shove yer granny off a bus!
Thanks for the clarification. That could have been a disaster if I had tried accommodating MIL in a lean-to!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

They are still called granny flats or teenage retreats in WA