Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grandparents Family Court Custody Order?

Grandparents Family Court Custody Order?

Old May 1st 2016, 10:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grandparents Family Court Custody Order?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They are more likely to 'pull their finger out' if the press are involved.
But publicing it could put the children at risk and the parents more likely to do another runner perhaps? Personally, (and it's only my opinion) whilst I understand the wish to get press involved, I think that getting the Minister (who has to look into any reported child safety issue bought to their attention) involved would be more likely to get things moving.
Old May 1st 2016, 11:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
But publicing it could put the children at risk and the parents more likely to do another runner perhaps? Personally, (and it's only my opinion) whilst I understand the wish to get press involved, I think that getting the Minister (who has to look into any reported child safety issue bought to their attention) involved would be more likely to get things moving.
I agree. The press should be a last resort.
Old May 2nd 2016, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I agree. The press should be a last resort.
Yep, I'm going through some custodial battles of my own at the moment. Ex has taken my youngest out of school and is home schooling her (without my permission), applied for her passport renewal (without my consent and it wasn't approved), removed her from her dance program and is only allowing sporadic contact with myself and her siblings. She's being alienated from the outside world. We agreed on a 50/50 shared care arrangement for the kids when we separated but have never had it written up formally, so I'm battling the system to try and get access to my own child. Going to court proceedings and seeing the way Magistrates deal with family matters, I think involving the press wouldn't work in anyone's favour, in fact it would probably just p&*s off all those involved in the battle, including the one's on your side.
Old May 2nd 2016, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would be avoiding the Press actually - this is kids lives we are talking about and the media aren't exactly known for their sensitivity. Start with the department then hit the minister! Don't escalate immediately to the minister because then you alienate the "on the ground" workers in the process - give them chance to do the right thing. One would wish for a child protection service which had a few teeth but they've been emasculated over the years unfortunately.
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie's posts seem full of good information. As do Pollyana's. Have had 2nd thoughts about you using the media given their recent performance in Lebanon, definitely a last resort.

In my thoughts Cresta, something happens for the positive quickly.
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:37 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If Centrelink payments have stopped, what are the chances of them rocking up at yours again to see what they can get?
I'd say unlikely, I have however taken the precaution of installing a camera security system that will ping my phone if the cameras detect movement. I can then view and if there's a break in of any sort ring the police and report gunshots in the vicinity, a simple break-in won't be prioritised.
As your old neighbour the late Mr Wogan once professed as soon as I said I'd shot the burglars the whole street filled with a multitude of police in cars, motorcycles and even a helicopter.
Officer "I thought you said you'd shot them"
Wogan "I thought you said you had no available officers"

Originally Posted by quoll
Looking at the guidelines for mandatory reporting, I would say that Siouxie has hit the nail on the head there, the school should, under those guidelines have made a mandatory report under at least one of the several possible areas of concern. If you believe they have failed to make a notification, given those guidelines, then definitely complain to the local Director of Education. If that doesn't work, then escalate up the Departmental ladder.
I did make a point of asking why the previous school didn't escalate the matter to the school board etc. The principle explained that while the actual attendance was "extremely poor" they did attend every week for at least 1-2 days. Usually on the days that the father got his centrepay cheque. School had recommended a home schooling program.
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
To pick up on point I made earlier... A Ministry might well be more inclined to get involved if it's some member of The Press that's making the enquiries - never mind how Mickey Mouse the local newspaper is; all papers have contacts in the big cities.
I'm loathe to inform the press, I've been on the wrong end of some terrible mis-reporting of the facts in the name of a good story in the past. In my opinion and experience once the press become involved and take up "the cause" everyone involved becomes defensive and clams up for fear of being portrayed as the villain.
Old May 2nd 2016, 9:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As Polly does, I also have to investigate and respond to ministerial complaints. I can assure you that people who complain to the minister get their complaints looked at very quickly and if we don't have a response within the time they have given there better be a good reason why not.

I personally would start with the Queensland and NSW child protection branches. Not just the branch, but find out who the supervisor is at the offices of where the family was a client and write directory to them. Give them a deadline for a response - say 5 business days - then if no joy escalate to the minister with a copy of the original letter to the DCP (not sure if that's the name for it there). Do it in both states so you're sure you cover all bases.

Sorry, I know that sounds really bossy but I have had lots of dealings with the family courts and WA DCP and know how hard you have to push for anything. Good luck Sean. It's a shit situation for you and the kids.
Old May 2nd 2016, 9:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As Polly does, I also have to investigate and respond to ministerial complaints. I can assure you that people who complain to the minister get their complaints looked at very quickly and if we don't have a response within the time they have given there better be a good reason why not.

I personally would start with the Queensland and NSW child protection branches. Not just the branch, but find out who the supervisor is at the offices of where the family was a client and write directory to them. Give them a deadline for a response - say 5 business days - then if no joy escalate to the minister with a copy of the original letter to the DCP (not sure if that's the name for it there). Do it in both states so you're sure you cover all bases.

Sorry, I know that sounds really bossy but I have had lots of dealings with the family courts and WA DCP and know how hard you have to push for anything. Good luck Sean. It's a shit situation for you and the kids.
Old May 2nd 2016, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, the school recommended a Home Schooling program - that truly is negligent! Don't NSW have monitoring of homeschooling? It takes a decent program and committed adults managing the program. That principal needs shooting!!!
Old May 2nd 2016, 10:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Blimey, the school recommended a Home Schooling program - that truly is negligent! Don't NSW have monitoring of homeschooling? It takes a decent program and committed adults managing the program. That principal needs shooting!!!
Reading everything that Sean has written makes people realise just how much the so called professionals have let these children down from so many angles and I doubt whether anyone truly knows how many of them knew the true situation for the children and still did not do anything or not enough.

So often children slip through the net that is supposedly there to protect them, it is shameful.

Rosemary

Rosemary
Old May 2nd 2016, 10:59 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Both Deb & I have been told that after we report our complaints to DoCS in QLD & also to facs in NSW [which we did three weeks ago] that the relevant departments are no longer allowed to contact/update us. This is due to some bunkum data protection law. As we are not legal guardians and only very concerned grandparents we have no legal rights. They won't even tell us if there was an existing file. We simply have no rights to that information in their eyes. Would a supervisor even have to respond?

That said both depts assured us that they would be looking into the allegations we have made, both also said we should see a solicitor to apply to the family court. A solicitor is not possible, unless we can quickly refinance the house, though I still fail to see how an application to the family court could possibly cost 14k. As a cynic I saw a man calculating just how much he could squeeze out of a pair of concerned but poor grandparents. He was almost licking his lips and I expected him to start rubbing his sweaty palms on his thighs. We're going to see another one when we've had a few local recommendations. The first was the first place we could get an appointment, I can see why now lol
Old May 2nd 2016, 11:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Both Deb & I have been told that after we report our complaints to DoCS in QLD & also to facs in NSW [which we did three weeks ago] that the relevant departments are no longer allowed to contact/update us. This is due to some bunkum data protection law. As we are not legal guardians and only very concerned grandparents we have no legal rights. They won't even tell us if there was an existing file. We simply have no rights to that information in their eyes. Would a supervisor even have to respond?

That said both depts assured us that they would be looking into the allegations we have made, both also said we should see a solicitor to apply to the family court. A solicitor is not possible, unless we can quickly refinance the house, though I still fail to see how an application to the family court could possibly cost 14k. As a cynic I saw a man calculating just how much he could squeeze out of a pair of concerned but poor grandparents. He was almost licking his lips and I expected him to start rubbing his sweaty palms on his thighs. We're going to see another one when we've had a few local recommendations. The first was the first place we could get an appointment, I can see why now lol
To the best of my knowledge they do have to at least respond to you to let you know that they are looking into it. I would suggest that then if there is no clear outcome - which i guess there may not be until the kids turn up- you can then contact the Minister's Office and request that they check and see if anything has been done on the case. They may not be able to tell you what has been done, but they will have to check and follow it up to make sure that the right notice has been taken. The way to make sure the wheels move is to become a pain to the Minister's office so that when they see a letter from you saying you will follow up with a phone call in a week if you don't get an answer, they make pains of themselves in turn to the office staff in that area. When your name gets known they'll jump quick to keep you quiet - and to stop you yelling to the press about 'useless Ministers'.
Address the correspondence by name to the Minister, marked Strictest Confidence (or something else that makes it stand out!)
Old May 2nd 2016, 12:13 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by Pollyana
To the best of my knowledge they do have to at least respond to you to let you know that they are looking into it. I would suggest that then if there is no clear outcome - which i guess there may not be until the kids turn up- you can then contact the Minister's Office and request that they check and see if anything has been done on the case. They may not be able to tell you what has been done, but they will have to check and follow it up to make sure that the right notice has been taken. The way to make sure the wheels move is to become a pain to the Minister's office so that when they see a letter from you saying you will follow up with a phone call in a week if you don't get an answer, they make pains of themselves in turn to the office staff in that area. When your name gets known they'll jump quick to keep you quiet - and to stop you yelling to the press about 'useless Ministers'.
Address the correspondence by name to the Minister, marked Strictest Confidence (or something else that makes it stand out!)
This ⬆
Old May 2nd 2016, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In Mandatory Reporting, the reporter never gets to know what the outcome of the report might be - privacy and all that. You might get more joy from the Minister - in ACT we had a debacle where the Secretary of the Department was kept in the dark about some CP cases and a child died but the shit stopped on her desk which was unfortunate and one would think that other jurisdictions took lessons from that. So, hopefully they are informing up the chain and the Minister might get an answer but probably still wouldn't tell you the details other than that they are satisfied that things are being conducted appropriately!
Old May 2nd 2016, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Letter rather than email then? I've tracked down the minister with the relevant portfolio it appears to be the RH Brad Hazzard in NSW. I guess there's little point in doing the same here in QLD as they are currently hiding out in NSW.
Cheers guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.