Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got job offer - advice needed

Got job offer - advice needed

Old May 14th 2007, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

sion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud of
Default Got job offer - advice needed

Hi I have just been offered a job as a service technician in ACT (the Australian Capital Territory) not to sure of the exact location yet.
the package is
$55000 salary
$5000 super
company car to the value of $15000
$2000 medical
and all relocation fees paid

sounds good to me but what is ACT like to live in and also would I be able to support a family on this sort of wage.

I have to give them an answer soon so any info or advice would be great

cheers
sion
Old May 15th 2007, 12:10 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice
Default Re: Got job offer - advice needed

Originally Posted by sion
Hi I have just been offered a job as a service technician in ACT (the Australian Capital Territory) not to sure of the exact location yet.
the package is
$55000 salary
$5000 super
company car to the value of $15000
$2000 medical
and all relocation fees paid

sounds good to me but what is ACT like to live in and also would I be able to support a family on this sort of wage.

I have to give them an answer soon so any info or advice would be great

cheers
sion
Hi

I would not like to advise you on wether the salary etc was enough for a family. BUT be very sure you know where you are likley to end up. OH got an offer last year in Oz while we were visiting in Brisbane in a place called Blackwater. THANKGOD we were offered a visit, so we flew up there. To say it was like something off Mad Max is not far for the truth. It was the most frightening, horrible experience and although the people were lovley the place would frighten most hardy men and certainly my OH (who is no softy). Blackwater is inland and life in the bush is not something that everyone could take to. The house that we were offered along with the job (Ha) looked like a shed that you might want to keep dogs in, or not depending on how much you love your pooch.

My advise make sure you know where your going aswell as what the job is. If we had gone to Blackwater for the job, having not visited I don't know what we would have, done, we certainly would not have stayed. It was seriously BAD so don't get carried away is my advise, there maybe another jobs. There was for us, heading to Brisbane in Ausgust.

Good luck
Old May 15th 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

You would have to pay me double that package to live in Canberra. Nice place but dead as a dodo. Everyone left work at 5:30pm and on Fridays left the ACT for Sydney or Melbourne. The night club used to have fights where people got bottled with regularity (now that kind of excitement I can do without). I can imagine living further out from the city being even worse. Anyway that's how I remember it - maybe it's changed and maybe pigs can fly
Old May 15th 2007, 2:56 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

You're not going to live in the lap of luxury, obviously, but yes it could be done. There are areas of Canberra which are reasonably priced and yet devoid of circular rubber marks at every road intersection, though these are few. You will find that the whole city is packed with overpaid, underworked government types - but on the plus side once you're in Aus you can seek out a better job with relative ease - immigration are bringing in an extra 5k skilled workers this year, which is indicative of the labour shortage in the australian market.
Old May 15th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

I would not like to advise you on wether the salary etc was enough for a family. BUT be very sure you know where you are likley to end up. OH got an offer last year in Oz while we were visiting in Brisbane in a place called Blackwater. THANKGOD we were offered a visit, so we flew up there. To say it was like something off Mad Max is not far for the truth. It was the most frightening, horrible experience and although the people were lovley the place would frighten most hardy men and certainly my OH (who is no softy). Blackwater is inland and life in the bush is not something that everyone could take to. The house that we were offered along with the job (Ha) looked like a shed that you might want to keep dogs in, or not depending on how much you love your pooch.

My advise make sure you know where your going aswell as what the job is. If we had gone to Blackwater for the job, having not visited I don't know what we would have, done, we certainly would not have stayed. It was seriously BAD so don't get carried away is my advise, there maybe another jobs. There was for us, heading to Brisbane in Ausgust.

Good luck

Canberra (ACT) is just a tad different to Blackwater.

WW
Old May 15th 2007, 8:28 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Canberra (ACT) is just a tad different to Blackwater.

WW
Hi

Yep I know, but it was the comment " not sure of the exact location" that rang alarm bells. We were told very near Rockhampton but the reality was very different. I just remember how excited we were at the job offer, heady feeling when you really want to be somewhere. SOOO pleased we're not in good old Blackwater.
Old May 15th 2007, 9:18 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Never been there, but i've just finished reading Bill Bryson's Down Under, and he didn't give it a glowing reference (probably get it from the library)! Mind you that was published about 7 years ago..i think.

Also this quote "The night club..." would put me off Cities need more than one night club!
Old May 16th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

Yep I know, but it was the comment " not sure of the exact location" that rang alarm bells. We were told very near Rockhampton but the reality was very different. I just remember how excited we were at the job offer, heady feeling when you really want to be somewhere. SOOO pleased we're not in good old Blackwater.
Canberra is the ACT with the exception of a few flyspots. To drive around the perimeter of Canberra is a couple of hours. Jerrabomberra & Queanbeyan whilst in NSW can be considered part of Canberra for the sake of convenience.

There have been a few postings here from those living in Canberra.

Canberra is different to most OZ cities in that it was planned from the outset rather than just happened. For those unfamilar with how Canberra is designed it can appear to be dull. Someone once said the life in Canberra is in the backyard around the barbie.

Public servant town, yeah to a certain point. Good for families with good facilities. Day tripable to Snowfields or the beach.

WW