Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

paying for school

paying for school

Old May 14th 2007, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

john Watson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default paying for school

Hi loking to move over to brisbane for 3 years ,we will be on a 457 working visa .With this visa will we need to pay for our kids schooling in and around brisbane ? can anyone help
Old May 14th 2007, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: paying for school

I have been told that in Queensland it is free apart from books etc. It better be as we are going later this year!
Old May 14th 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

Hi, Don't know if you have to pay on your visa or not, but we have to pay on ours and it has just cost us £920 per term per child. We have to pay each term in advance and have just paid for the first term in Queensland.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

what visa are you going on? its not a private school is it?
Old May 14th 2007, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

No, not private. We are going on student visa, so we have to pay for education which we did know about in advance.
Old May 14th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that think I will double check with the education department and send them an e-mail in a bit
TA
Old May 14th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by goingozwards2007
No, not private. We are going on student visa, so we have to pay for education which we did know about in advance.
do you have to pay for schools when on a skilled visa????hope not!
Old May 14th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camacazi
do you have to pay for schools when on a skilled visa????hope not!
Nope, being on a skilled visa is more or less the same as being an aussie citizen apart from you can't vote and a couple of other things.

Everyone has to pay for books, uniform, trips etc
Old May 15th 2007, 11:58 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Hi

We're off to Queensland in August and I have on my cyber travels come across a web page that outlined the states that charge for schooling if traveling on 457 visa. Queensland is not one of them. We were at one point going to NSW and it would have cost us approx £10k per year for 2 children. They could go to a very good private school in Queensland for half that amount.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Nott too sure on the numbers of visa's as yet as we are only at the stage of getting our TRA. My uncle informs us that in Sydney there are three types of school, the private ones where you pay full fees, the Catholic ones that you pay half fees and the state one's where you don't pay fees. You do pay for books, trips, lunches etc at all of them though. Don't know if this helps anyone or not but i thought i'd add it anyway.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

If you are not a permanent resident in NSW you have to pay around $4500 per year per child for public school, plus all the usual for books, trips etc. Have been told that this charge doesn't apply in other states though.
Old May 15th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by yanH
If you are not a permanent resident in NSW you have to pay around $4500 per year per child for public school, plus all the usual for books, trips etc. Have been told that this charge doesn't apply in other states though.
Yanh, am i right in understanding that with a 5 year visa you are classed as a permanent resident even though you don't have citizenship, forgive me if i'm being a bit thick but we are applying on a skills visa and we've been told that they no longer issue permanant visa's but only 5 years ones as you can easily gain citizenship within 5 years. This obviously may be changing when the new 4 yr ruling comes in though???!!!???
Old May 15th 2007, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

john Watson is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: paying for school

Thank you all for your info on this matter .
Old May 15th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickys
Yanh, am i right in understanding that with a 5 year visa you are classed as a permanent resident even though you don't have citizenship, forgive me if i'm being a bit thick but we are applying on a skills visa and we've been told that they no longer issue permanant visa's but only 5 years ones as you can easily gain citizenship within 5 years. This obviously may be changing when the new 4 yr ruling comes in though???!!!???
5 year visa? what's that then? if you come over on a skills visa you are for all intents and purpose the same as an aussie citizen - you can't vote and you can't bludge of the dole but otherwise no difference

The visa isn't for 5 years, it's permanent (hence permanent resident)
Old May 16th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by vickys
As far as I am aware Permanent Residency gives you the right to live in Australia indefinately. To all intents and purposes you are treated as an Australian citizen (other than for a few things like not being able to vote). If you are coming out on a skills visa then it sounds like you are applying for Permanent Residency. If you are on a PR visa then you do have to spend a certain amount of time in Australia otherwise the visa lapses. I'm not sure exactly what the period is but I'm sure someone else will be able to advise.

What might be confusing is all of the discussion on this thread which concerns other non permanent residency types of visa. Such as 457 (which is a temporary work related visa) and student visas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.