Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

goodies from a nature strip?

goodies from a nature strip?

Old May 19th 2006, 1:31 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Wink goodies from a nature strip?

So what gems have you picked up?
Do you actively drive around looking for stuff to pick up?
Do you have any tips on where/when to find the best items?

I have yet to take anything. Was tempted by some chairs to use whilst we waiting for our container, but in the end left them there. Felt a bit like a tramp going through someone elses stuff.
Old May 19th 2006, 1:39 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: goodies from a nature strip?

Originally Posted by walaj

I have yet to take anything. Was tempted by some chairs to use whilst we waiting for our container, but in the end left them there. Felt a bit like a tramp going through someone elses stuff.
Its the busiest time of the year in our quiet street, every time the hard waste is due to be lifted.
I put an old 3 piece suite out & had a knock at the door within an hour from someone asking if they could have it.

How polite is that, someone asking if they can have your rubbish.
Old May 19th 2006, 1:42 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Not sure what to make of this activity.
It's a good opportunity to get rid of all your junk and stuff that doesn't work anymore. Why would you want someone else's junk and broken items?

I did hear a story where someone got a brand new fridge freezer, didn't fit the owners kitchen or something? If this did happen, I'm guessing it could only have been in certain suburbs.

At the last collection someone took my old bike, complete with bent frame and pretzel shaped wheels. I only hope they realised that it'd been run over by a truck and likely to disintegrate if ridden over any bumps.
Old May 19th 2006, 1:44 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite a few years ago, I got some good old kitchen cupboards for storage in a shed from someones nature strip!!

I had heard though that some of the Councils are starting to fine people for taking it if caught because they make money from it?? I dont know which councils or if its even true. Just something I had heard.
Old May 19th 2006, 1:45 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hels
Quite a few years ago, I got some good old kitchen cupboards for storage in a shed from someones nature strip!!

I had heard though that some of the Councils are starting to fine people for taking it if caught because they make money from it?? I dont know which councils or if its even true. Just something I had heard.
Hows that old 3 piece suite of mine looking these days anyway?
Old May 19th 2006, 1:46 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
Hows that old 3 piece suite of mine looking these days anyway?

Looks just gorgeous with the 'dead animal' throw I also found on someones nature strip!!
Old May 19th 2006, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feel guilty about it, everyone does it. We get trucks, vans, utes etc. patrolling slowly around the streets at council clean-up time, looking for stuff. Often there's very little left for the council to collect.

Best time to look is at night. We often used to go for a walk in the dark in the surrounding streets. We picked up a good quality amplifier and tuner (that just needed a fuse to make it work), plant pots, kid's deckchairs, kid's toy car. Once we got a load of software. Some people we know got most of their household items from council clean-ups (mind you, the house did smell and look a bit like a junkshop).

I put out a cedar door, once. It was gone within five minutes. Trouble was it wasn't a standard size - had been cut down to fit a really low doorway. I'd have loved to have seen the person's face when they tried to fit it at home.

We've got a clean-up due around here (Coogee) next week. I'll be putting out an old mattress and some office chairs if you're interested!
Old May 19th 2006, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Don't feel guilty about it, everyone does it. We get trucks, vans, utes etc. patrolling slowly around the streets at council clean-up time, looking for stuff. Often there's very little left for the council to collect.

Best time to look is at night. We often used to go for a walk in the dark in the surrounding streets. We picked up a good quality amplifier and tuner (that just needed a fuse to make it work), plant pots, kid's deckchairs, kid's toy car. Once we got a load of software. Some people we know got most of their household items from council clean-ups (mind you, the house did smell and look a bit like a junkshop).

I put out a cedar door, once. It was gone within five minutes. Trouble was it wasn't a standard size - had been cut down to fit a really low doorway. I'd have loved to have seen the person's face when they tried to fit it at home.

We've got a clean-up due around here (Coogee) next week. I'll be putting out an old mattress and some office chairs if you're interested!
I think its a great idea. Everyone benefits, even the council. The idiots are the people too snobby, or too proud, too pick up, what might be for them a real bargain. People get something for free which they would never part money with for, as most of the stuff is unsaleable there is gain. I'm sure the council lose income somewhere in the disposal chain, but can save on contractor fees.

Hopefully someone has had some great use of a pissy mattress I chucked out on someone elses pile last year. I got it given to me and we sat on the floor on it in our rental throughout the winter of 2004.

The biggy is collecting wood just chopped down. VIcRoads removed a tree after a fatal incident - for driver and tree- tradies were there with their utes within minutes hauling it away.
Old May 19th 2006, 3:52 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong, I think is great in the whole recycling of stuff and certainly don't like paying more than I have to, or even better nothing. The chairs were only left as the legs were rusty - not great for a toddler.

nicky - office chairs you say - well if you spot a grey wagon picking them up you know who it is