Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Old May 17th 2006, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough
Default Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

I still don't. I guess there does come a point in time when you do think of it as home. Or maybe not? I thought it would have something to do with being settled but I don't think it does. I have no desire to live in England but I do still think of it as home. Maybe that's just one of the things you never get over with having your heart in two different places.

Geez I'm procrastinating today. Oh well....back to work.....
Old May 17th 2006, 6:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Originally Posted by finsbury
I still don't. I guess there does come a point in time when you do think of it as home. Or maybe not? I thought it would have something to do with being settled but I don't think it does. I have no desire to live in England but I do still think of it as home. Maybe that's just one of the things you never get over with having your heart in two different places.

I made a conscious decision as soon as we arrived not to refer to the UK as home - it was the UK, home was where I was with my immediate family. It has worked but maybe it would feel like home whether I had done that or not. But....I have only been here 6 months so not sure if I will feel differently in a year's time - have to wait and see. Very settled now anyway. Hope you feel settled soon.
Old May 17th 2006, 6:38 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finsbury

good question

not sure yet, but having people about u that u know and are close to helps.
sydney did feel like home just before we left though
ask me again in about 6 months
Old May 17th 2006, 6:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Australia is definitely "home".

UK will never be "Abroad" though.
Old May 17th 2006, 6:41 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

nice way to put it
Old May 17th 2006, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth

For me it was instant!! As we came into land and flying over Brisbane I turned and said to my wife "I am home".

We have been here 20 months now and nothing has changed. I love Australia and all of it's quirks and do not have any desire to return to the UK.

Each to his own though I suppose.
Old May 17th 2006, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks moneypen. I'm grand btw. Just idling this afternoon. That's an interesting point about being settled. On the face of it, I am settled, but I guess I still don't feel that Australia is my home. I also wouldn't go back to England to live. No doubt there's some psychological phenomema for it. Post Traumatic Honeymoon Period Culture Shock Disorder. Or something like that. Think maybe its the onset of winter and I still don't get my head around feeling cold when its plummeted to 15C. Who knows!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I made a conscious decision as soon as we arrived not to refer to the UK as home - it was the UK, home was where I was with my immediate family. It has worked but maybe it would feel like home whether I had done that or not. But....I have only been here 6 months so not sure if I will feel differently in a year's time - have to wait and see. Very settled now anyway. Hope you feel settled soon.
Old May 17th 2006, 6:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Yep.
Old May 17th 2006, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here almost 2 years now and Australia is home.
I absolutely love it here and would not want to live anywhere else.

Sharon
Old May 17th 2006, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yep.
So maybe I should ask if the UK feels like home to you Vash?

Mrs F felt the same btw. Loved her time in England but always felt Australia was home. Think it might have something to do with Qantas subliminal messages from the 80's.
Old May 17th 2006, 6:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!
Old May 17th 2006, 6:55 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here 16 months, and defiantly feel that Australia is my home.
Feel totally comfortable here.
Old May 17th 2006, 7:00 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

what else would it be?

Lynn
Old May 17th 2006, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

This is something that I keep saying and being corrected on. I refer constantly to the 'UK' as home. My eldest will correct me by saying you are home. When I wright to my old boss and say I'm homesick - he comes back with, you are home.

At the moment I have absolutely no desire to return to the UK (home), we've been here 16 months, but clearly at the moment I consider it a home that I've had and still refer to in that way. When I use the term home here I mean our house, not Australia yet. I think it can take time, I feel that we are still very much settling in and I'm very much missing my family which has probably got alot to do with how I view things.

Tracey
Old May 17th 2006, 7:03 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet, love Australia just don't love my life here.

But we'll be moving into our new house soon and that'll be a start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.