goodbyes

Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice
Default goodbyes

our parents had arranged a total surprise party for us on saturday night and i have to say it is probably the hardest thing i have ever had to do in my life. as we sold our house 2 months ago we have been living with my parents which is even tougher because unfortunately my father idolises us. every time i look at my father at the moment i find him crying, which is the most heart wrenching thing to watch. he does however want us to go which perhaps is the only reason that i can actually go through with it.

even as i am writing this me and my daughter are in tears.

how do people cope with all the upset that immigration causes when its time to say goodbye.

we are flying out next wednesday and my mum and dad are taking us up, how do you stop yourself from turning around and going back home.

any advise on this would be greatly appreciated, i am not having second thoughts about oz, my only problem is leaving my mum and dad and although i have made many good friends, i will more than likely be forgotten in a couple of months time, which does make it easier.

regards
louise
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of
Default Re: goodbyes

We are only at the beginning of our application so have quite a while to go yet. Already I am finding it quite difficult though and several family members are trying to talk us out of it.

As it gets closer and closer, I'm sure it will get harder. My husband and I really want to go but we know that saying goodbye to everyone will be the hardest thing we will have to do.

Will your parents be able to visit you soonish? Perhaps knowing that you will see them again quite soon will help. I can't really offer any advise but just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and I hope that you settle into your new life quickly.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's tough - no doubt about it. We had plenty of offers of lifts to the airport, but we turned 'em all down because we didn't fancy saying our goodbyes in the bedlam that is Heathrow airport. Far nicer to say goodbye somewhere familiar and then get to the airport under your own steam, looking forward to the adventures ahead, rather than the friends and family you're leaving behind. It's all very personal of course, but I would reconsider getting a lift from your folks, particularly since it's been so hard for everyone so far. Good luck mate.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:10 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by loopyloo2
our parents had arranged a total surprise party for us on saturday night and i have to say it is probably the hardest thing i have ever had to do in my life. as we sold our house 2 months ago we have been living with my parents which is even tougher because unfortunately my father idolises us. every time i look at my father at the moment i find him crying, which is the most heart wrenching thing to watch. he does however want us to go which perhaps is the only reason that i can actually go through with it.

how do people cope with all the upset that immigration causes when its time to say goodbye.

we are flying out next wednesday and my mum and dad are taking us up, how do you stop yourself from turning around and going back home.

any advise on this would be greatly appreciated, i am not having second thoughts about oz, my only problem is leaving my mum and dad and although i have made many good friends, i will more than likely be forgotten in a couple of months time, which does make it easier.

regards
louise
I am very close to my mum (dad died 8 years ago) so it was so heart wrenching leaving her. She wasn't too bad though and managed to just about hold it together. We said our goodbyes the night before to save all the upset at the airport and we made our own way there and believe me it was so much easier.

Its hard leaving your loved ones and there isn't a day that goes by here when I don't think of everyone back home, but my family and our future is important too and this is where we want to settle and raise our son. It's been six months and I could never imagine living in the UK again.

My mum rings three times a week! and then she is on MSN messenger every night and is visiting for three months in November!!

It gets easier.....

Good luck with your new life.

Rachel x
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

This is such a personal thing, some people like the big goodbyes....we went for the small ones, seeing people separately, as the idea of a whole evening of saying goodbye was more than I think I could've coped with. Saying that, after the 4th or 5th weekend of seeing people, I think I said I'd wished for just one party and get it all over with in one hit.....
As for the airport, we decided that we would go on our own, as I didn't fancy the long flight with a huge headache, and crying always gives me one....also it was something we had been looking forward too for many months, so we didn't want to look back...

At the end of the day there is no good way to say goodbye to a loved one. I've lost very close family members, and for me some of the goodbyes were like that, especially towards those older relatives / friends that you know you are unlikely to see again.

Do whatever you feel is right for you....you are the one that has to go through it over & over again. And don't forget the reasons you are moving.

Good Luck
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:23 am
Living the dream!

crystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud of

Don't - you'll get me crying!!

I am also dreading the big departure, we are aiming to go at the beginning of October. We have decided that it'll be best to splash out on a taxi to the airport - I couldn't face leaving them as I go through to the departure lounge!!

I really dont know how I am going to cope with the saying goodbye to people. I get emotional about it already. Driving home from the chinese takeaway thinking about the last time I go there I started balling!! What are we like??

And then there's the party we'll be having - Oh my god - family sized boxes of tissues on every table and no mascara for me!!

Just to let you know we've all been there/going to be there, so you're certainly not alone - it is a MASSIVE step we are taking - good luck!!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

regards
louise

I really feel for you. We should be leaving in oct nov and it is going to kill me to leave my parents.They are both 76 and my dad has parkinsons. We have decided against a big party and are going to say our goodbyes individually. As for the airport i think i will stay in a hotel and go the night before. It is a knot in your stomach that will not go away i think until u are actually there and settling in. Good luck with your move and just remember it is your immediate family you have to look after now and just remember you are only 24 hrs from home
Raven
Old Jul 10th 2006, 12:14 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Totally sympathise with you. I left yesterday (or is it still today....) and am currently sitting in Changi airport Singapore, having left my wife and 2 children at home back in the UK. The waiting was the worst bit, my dad was giving me a lift to the airport - i couldn't sit still all morning, everytime i went to the dishwasher i kept thinking this is the last time that i will ever use this dishwasher, out came the tears !

I had originally wanted not to have a big leaving do but i sort of understand why people do it now. Basically the way i see it is it is easier to say one good bye rather than 10 or so, draggin it out is horrible!

Still saying that, 10 minutes after take off i was alright, i know my wife and kids are comming out soon.

Take it from me, and i definately know as i am doing it as i type, it does get easier, plus booze on the flight helps too !!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 1:33 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

regards
louise
Your post made me cry Louise.

We are still waiting on our visa but we told our family when we first thought of the idea years ago and kept them updated with every step of the way.

Or so I thought.

The other day, my Dad said to me 'If your asthma is bad in Australia, then you will have to come back won't you?' he said this hopefully

It hit me that Dad doesn't actually think it will be forever and it is a '2-3 year plan'. So all the hard work and prep that went in to telling the family, is sort of on rocky ground - at least for Dad.

I don't know what to advise because I can make myself just cry when I think about leaving my Dad who is nearly 70.

People always think they know just how much emotionally they have invested into this process when in fact, the real cost of it all won't hit you until you leave your loved ones.

We hope to go October(ish) and I shall probably buy a return ticket for myself in case Dad gets ill or an emergency crops up.

Other than that mate, if I ever find the answer to your question, I will let you know.

Good luck and give your Dad a hug from me, he sounds a fantastic Dad.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 4:06 pm
kerrie/wayne

[QUOTE=Professional Princess]Your post made me cry Louise.

We are still waiting on our visa but we told our family when we first thought of the idea years ago and kept them updated with every step of the way.

Or so I thought.

The other day, my Dad said to me 'If your asthma is bad in Australia, then you will have to come back won't you?' he said this hopefully

It hit me that Dad doesn't actually think it will be forever and it is a '2-3 year plan'. So all the hard work and prep that went in to telling the family, is sort of on rocky ground - at least for Dad.

I don't know what to advise because I can make myself just cry when I think about leaving my Dad who is nearly 70.

People always think they know just how much emotionally they have invested into this process when in fact, the real cost of it all won't hit you until you leave your loved ones.

We hope to go October(ish) and I shall probably buy a return ticket for myself in case Dad gets ill or an emergency crops up.

Other than that mate, if I ever find the answer to your question, I will let you know.

Good luck and give your Dad a hug from me, he sounds a fantastic Dad.

hi ya

omg i know how you feel we have moved in with my mom and our flight is next tues the 18th july...mom cant talk to anyone about me going without getting upset she wants the best for us and she herself lived in oz for 20 years and knowns its a better place to live however this is the hardest part im dreading going to the coach station thats takes us to airport ....i have refused anyone taking us to the airport its far to hard and im thinking that this way we would have calmed down with the journey to the airport ...i dont want to crack cause i have by 14 year son going also and i dont want him too upset to be honest he has been fantastic with the move...

so all i can advise is share the tears and the hugs and keep your chin up with a big smile has you wave them goodbye and think of the dream that you had about aussie is now about to start

you take very good care and all the best
love kez x

Old Jul 10th 2006, 4:22 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's tough - no doubt about it. We had plenty of offers of lifts to the airport, but we turned 'em all down because we didn't fancy saying our goodbyes in the bedlam that is Heathrow airport. Far nicer to say goodbye somewhere familiar and then get to the airport under your own steam, looking forward to the adventures ahead, rather than the friends and family you're leaving behind. It's all very personal of course, but I would reconsider getting a lift from your folks, particularly since it's been so hard for everyone so far. Good luck mate.

Got to agree Hutch...go alone to the airport. It's your dream and your dream alone , why include someone elses heartache with it.

You will be fine Louise and once you are on that plane you wont look back
Old Jul 10th 2006, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

I cant stop crying when i read other peoples thoughts on leaving. We are all the same when it comes to leaving loved ones. we are leaving octoberish as well and my mum had a huge operation in april and was in hospital for 6 weeks due to loads of different virus/infections etc. She then came to live with us for 8 weeks as my dad quite frankly cant make toast, undomesticated etc. She recovered well and after she left i was exhausted and totally releaved to have some space, but when i look at it now I am glad she was here and my hubby, 2 girls and myslef got to spend that time with her. She has to go bazck in for another operation in october and we'll probablly not be here for her recovery period next time round. I feel really guilty leaving and selfish too but then I think about the years we have faffed on about our life in aus and the time its took to get to this level. I know we are doing the right thing but every time she calls , i start crying and cant even go down to visit as i find it disturbing. Our thoughts on immigration have consummed every single second in time and i am absolutley dreading the leaving bash. Everyone thinks we will come back home but we are thinking of our family now too and know our intention is to live in aus for good.
I sympathise with what you are going through louise and everyone keeps telling us it gets easier so keep that frame of mind and we just need to be strong.

Thinking about it now, i feel tired, as i know crying myself to exhaustion is on the cards but time is a great thing!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

sarah-jayne
Old Jul 10th 2006, 5:16 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
I cant stop crying when i read other peoples thoughts on leaving. We are all the same when it comes to leaving loved ones. we are leaving octoberish as well and my mum had a huge operation in april and was in hospital for 6 weeks due to loads of different virus/infections etc. She then came to live with us for 8 weeks as my dad quite frankly cant make toast, undomesticated etc. She recovered well and after she left i was exhausted and totally releaved to have some space, but when i look at it now I am glad she was here and my hubby, 2 girls and myslef got to spend that time with her. She has to go bazck in for another operation in october and we'll probablly not be here for her recovery period next time round. I feel really guilty leaving and selfish too but then I think about the years we have faffed on about our life in aus and the time its took to get to this level. I know we are doing the right thing but every time she calls , i start crying and cant even go down to visit as i find it disturbing. Our thoughts on immigration have consummed every single second in time and i am absolutley dreading the leaving bash. Everyone thinks we will come back home but we are thinking of our family now too and know our intention is to live in aus for good.
I sympathise with what you are going through louise and everyone keeps telling us it gets easier so keep that frame of mind and we just need to be strong.

Thinking about it now, i feel tired, as i know crying myself to exhaustion is on the cards but time is a great thing!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

sarah-jayne
Please Sarah-Jayne (and everybody else) try not to feel guilty. In all the years that I have lived abroad, I have always known that you can be home in no time (and nowadays is a lot easier than 20 years ago). We all have built up our own lives, and to live in Oz you need to be confident & commited that you can go it alone !

I love my family, and I will miss them all dearly, but I also have learnt in the years gone by, they also have their own lives, children, work etc etc.(remember the song " the cats in the cradle " )

The way I look at it, my parents visit once or twice a year to Holland because they can't afford to come more often. They can just about afford to come to Oz, but when they come, they can stay for at least two months. We both win !

My advice to anybody. Stay confident, don't give up, and follow your dream. If if doesn't work out, the world isn't as big as you think. Home is just around the corner.

The cats in the cradle

My child arrived just the other day
come to the world in the usual way
but there were planes to catch
and bills to pay
he learned to walk while I was away
he was talking for a minute
and as he grew
he'd say I'm gonna be like you Dad
you know I'm gonna be like you

And the cats in the cradle
and the silver spoon
little boy blue and the
man on the moon
when you comin' home son
I don't know when
we'll get together then
you know we'll have
a good time then

Well my son turned ten
just the other day
he said thanks for the ball Dad
come on let's play
can you teach me to throw
I said not today - I got a lot to do
he said that's o.k.
and he walked away and he
smiled and he said
you know I'm gonna be like him yeah
you know I'm gonna be like him

And the cats in the cradle ...

Well he came from college
just the other day
so much like a man I just had to say
I'm proud of you could you
sit for a while
he shook his head
and he said with a smile
what I'd really like Dad
is to borrow the car keys
see you later can I have them please

I've long since retired
my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I'd like to see you if you don't mind
he said
I'd love to Dad
if I could find the time
you see my new job's hassle
and the kids have the flu
but it's sure nice talking to you Dad
it's been sure nice talking to you
and as I hung up the phone
I occured to me
he'd grown up just like me
my boy was just like me
Old Jul 10th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by furkew
Please Sarah-Jayne (and everybody else) try not to feel guilty. In all the years that I have lived abroad, I have always known that you can be home in no time (and nowadays is a lot easier than 20 years ago). We all have built up our own lives, and to live in Oz you need to be confident & commited that you can go it alone !

I love my family, and I will miss them all dearly, but I also have learnt in the years gone by, they also have their own lives, children, work etc etc.(remember the song " the cats in the cradle " )

The way I look at it, my parents visit once or twice a year to Holland because they can't afford to come more often. They can just about afford to come to Oz, but when they come, they can stay for at least two months. We both win !

My advice to anybody. Stay confident, don't give up, and follow your dream. If if doesn't work out, the world isn't as big as you think. Home is just around the corner.

The cats in the cradle

My child arrived just the other day
come to the world in the usual way
but there were planes to catch
and bills to pay
he learned to walk while I was away
he was talking for a minute
and as he grew
he'd say I'm gonna be like you Dad
you know I'm gonna be like you

And the cats in the cradle
and the silver spoon
little boy blue and the
man on the moon
when you comin' home son
I don't know when
we'll get together then
you know we'll have
a good time then

Well my son turned ten
just the other day
he said thanks for the ball Dad
come on let's play
can you teach me to throw
I said not today - I got a lot to do
he said that's o.k.
and he walked away and he
smiled and he said
you know I'm gonna be like him yeah
you know I'm gonna be like him

Well he came from college
just the other day
so much like a man I just had to say
I'm proud of you could you
sit for a while
he shook his head
and he said with a smile
what I'd really like Dad
is to borrow the car keys
see you later can I have them please

I've long since retired
my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I'd like to see you if you don't mind
he said
I'd love to Dad
if I could find the time
you see my new job's hassle
and the kids have the flu
but it's sure nice talking to you Dad
it's been sure nice talking to you
and as I hung up the phone
I occured to me
he'd grown up just like me
my boy was just like me
thanks for that, it cheered me up a bit.and your right, they all have their lives to live.

sj
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:22 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I had it in reverse....I was leaving Australia and moving back to England. This was the following year after losing my Mum to cancer and it was hard to say goodbye to my Dad, however he understood as he had moved us all over to Australia in 1983 leaving both his and my Mother's parents behind.

I am much closer to my Dad since losing my Mum and we speak each week on the phone and email sporadically. (he's definately no techi) He has re-married and my Step Mum (gosh seems weird to call someone that, since I am 31) Anyway she emails and will reply to text messages (again..Dad's no techi).

Dad is paying for my partner and I to have 4 nights in Singapore and he is also paying our flights. He is definately happy to have us coming back to Australia, yet he understands the whole concept of me wanting to move to England in the first place.

He just knew Australia would lure me back!

Good luck with it all - just remember, phone, letters, emails - they all work. Dont expect to not feel homesick or sad - it takes time to get used to living in another country. Don't rush yourself - allow yourself to feel the feelings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.