British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Goodbye Perth Hello Queensland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/goodbye-perth-hello-queensland-545345/)

Catch Jun 29th 2008 7:34 am

Re: Goodbye Perth Hello Queensland

Originally Posted by kevinl (Post 6512950)
Good luck peep's. Darcy is already planning her holiday to the Sunshine coast.
Watch out for the kangas on the Nullibor.

Kev

thanks kev the door is always open:thumbup:

kevinl Jun 29th 2008 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 6514855)
OK, for probably my 100th time on BE:

Half of the stuff written about Perth on here is uninformed bollocks from people who haven't been here, haven't been in the last 5 years and seen the transformation or tried to live here without being willing to travel more than 10km from their outer suburbs home.

Ok, so as you, 1 person, has had to refute 100 other opinions, that Perth is boring in the middle of nowhere, hicksville etc.

Then I think it reasonable to conclude that 1 in 100 people think Perth is great and 99 % of people think it is boring in the middle of nowhere, hicksville etc.

I doubt that the opinions of 50% of the people on expats is "uninformed bollocks" as you put it, more likely they have a different prospective, who knows maybe some people have less money, no boat or other toys etc etc.

Good luck all those going east.

Kevin

tonychef Jun 29th 2008 2:33 pm

oh dear,

I went to perth in september 2007 on my trip round oz while lokking for somewhere to live, im now worried that the population of perth that live in these enclaves with the british shops and attitudes will move to queensland and spoil it for the rest of us ( sorry nothern suburbs of perth )

So i might have to buy a house pretty damn quick if the same thing happens here as happened in perth,

this is only my view point and im not winding you all up !!!!!!!!!!!

but im scared !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tonychef Jun 29th 2008 2:53 pm

I was a bit sweeping on my last post by singling out certain parts of perth, there are parts of WA that are great eg freo, exmouth, margrate river, broome but perth to me was not what i wanted.

and the northern suburbs on my experiance there were enclaves of brits living the same lives as they left behind but with sunshine for most of the year.

Queensland is a big place so to say its the new Perth is also a bit excesive
as perth itself is bloody small in comparasion to queensland.

I dont think il ever like Perth and i found it very over rated, boring or i might have chose the wrong place to stop for a month

coffeedrinker Jun 29th 2008 5:44 pm

Good luck moving to QLD..

if you like humidity you should be fine :-)

BayWhale Jun 29th 2008 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by tonychef (Post 6515978)
oh dear,

im now worried that the population of perth that live in these enclaves with the british shops and attitudes will move to queensland and spoil it for the rest of us ( sorry nothern suburbs of perth )

this is only my view point and im not winding you all up !!!!!!!!!!!

but im scared !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too, we are getting a little over crowded in South East Qld.

PS I'm on holiday in the UK and can't wait to get home, 48 hours and I will be on my way after two months of seeing old friends and family. Home is where the heart is and mine's in Qld.

Funky Monkey Jun 29th 2008 9:07 pm

I know of 3 seperate people in Perth who have spent many years over East and have actually chose Perth as they prefer it, horses for courses e.t.c

peanut21 Jun 30th 2008 1:26 am

Well if everyone is moving over to queensland my house is for sale in Tallebudgera which is just next door to Currumbin.:D

Check it out in the classifieds section. :thumbsup:

Best of luck with the move everyone:p

worzel Jun 30th 2008 1:26 am

Originally Posted by kevinl (Post 6515788)
Then I think it reasonable to conclude that 1 in 100 people think Perth is great and 99 % of people think it is boring in the middle of nowhere, hicksville etc.

You seriously believe that is reasonable to conclude?:blink:

BristolBeary Jun 30th 2008 1:56 am

Originally Posted by kevinl (Post 6515788)

Kevin

Then I think its reasonable to conclude that Perth is great (better than Brisbane & Adelaide) because this report says so na na na na na :p

http://www.mercer.com/referenceconte...7990#Top50_qol

melaniee Jun 30th 2008 2:02 am

We moved from Perth-Sunshine Coast 7 months ago. We did not move from Perth because we hated it-we think Perth is great and if someone told us we had to go back tommorow, we would not mind a bit...but we wanted to live over on the East Coast for a bit to see what it had to offer. And it certainly offers a lot-so many places to go for weekends etc.

Mikeyc Jul 1st 2008 3:40 am

Originally Posted by BristolBeary (Post 6517432)
Then I think its reasonable to conclude that Perth is great (better than Brisbane & Adelaide) because this report says so na na na na na :p

http://www.mercer.com/referenceconte...7990#Top50_qol

But not better than Sydney or Melbourne according to the same survey. Sydney the only Aussie place to make it into the top 10. :p

Mikey

BristolBeary Jul 1st 2008 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Mikeyc (Post 6521185)
But not better than Sydney or Melbourne according to the same survey. Sydney the only Aussie place to make it into the top 10. :p

Mikey

You got me there :thumbsup: And if I was younger and single I'd be typing this in Sydney right now.