British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Goodbye Perth Hello Queensland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/goodbye-perth-hello-queensland-545345/)

lyndz Jun 26th 2008 1:44 pm

Goodbye Perth Hello Queensland

Hi there this is my first thread on Expats --- We have been in Perth 4 yrs now and have decided to make the move over to Queensland - we have sold our house and are just waiting for my little one to be accepted in a school - we are moving to the Currumbin Valley -- tho starting to get cold feet about starting all over again ...:ohmy:......Any advice would be appreciated specially from those who have moved from Perth over East -- Cheers

sub Jun 26th 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Goodbye Perth Hello Queensland

Originally Posted by lyndz (Post 6505901)
Hi there this is my first thread on Expats --- We have been in Perth 4 yrs now and have decided to make the move over to Queensland - we have sold our house and are just waiting for my little one to be accepted in a school - we are moving to the Currumbin Valley -- tho starting to get cold feet about starting all over again ...:ohmy:......Any advice would be appreciated specially from those who have moved from Perth over East -- Cheers

Just out of interest why you moving to QLD?:)
Is it work? or had enough of perth and wanting a change?!
Susan

carolinejones3 Jun 26th 2008 1:55 pm

Hi SUSAN, long time no hear, hows it all going??:)

Soory to hyjack thread:o
Caroline

sub Jun 26th 2008 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by carolinejones3 (Post 6505966)

Caroline

Yeah great thanks!!!
Been to Adelaide, loved it!!
Cant wait to get back!
House goes on market tomorrow, fingers crossed will sell by Monday:rofl:

Hows it going your end? You ready to go yet?
Susan

Loch Lomond Jun 26th 2008 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by carolinejones3 (Post 6505966)

Caroline

Originally Posted by sub (Post 6505989)
Yeah great thanks!!!
Been to Adelaide, loved it!!
Cant wait to get back!
House goes on market tomorrow, fingers crossed will sell by Monday:rofl:

Hows it going your end? You ready to go yet?
Susan

This should have been done offline (thats why PM is available).

Betty Boot Jun 26th 2008 4:14 pm

At least you have the sense to move from perth to qld. We've done it the hard way and come back to uk and now planning on going qld - now that really does worry me about starting all over again! I think you are doing the right thing trying a new state if perth is not satisfying you (sorry i am only assuming that) be interesting to hear how others have found the experience. Good luck

bluekipper Jun 26th 2008 7:04 pm

I would also love to know whats wrong with Perth?:(

Adelaide didnt meet our needs so I was hoping Perth would, esp jobwise.

Bluekipper

sa2uk2oz Jun 26th 2008 9:45 pm

Hi we are on the gold coast, not too far from Currumbin.
Lovely beach, lots of good restaurants, good shopping
nice climate, (although a bit chilly at night and in the morning recently)
you won't be sorry.. its lovely in SE Qld..
all the best with the move.:thumbup:

sammyg Jun 26th 2008 9:49 pm

Hi,
We have never moved interstate but i just wanted to say you've made a good choice of place in the Gold Coast, Currumbin is beautiful and has a lovely feel to it!

We've been in the Gold Coast for 4 months and we've been made to feel sooo welcome!:D

Try not to worry - you've moved across the world before so you can handle a move across a country!!!:lol:

All the best

sam:)

asprilla Jun 27th 2008 12:05 am

Originally Posted by bluekipper (Post 6507066)
I would also love to know whats wrong with Perth?:(

Adelaide didnt meet our needs so I was hoping Perth would, esp jobwise.

Bluekipper

hmm.... I hope that a single post by a random person on the internet doesn't sway your future plans so easily !! but it sounds like it is going to...
:huh:

sorry bluekipper, I've just noticed that you've only been a member here since march. Take some time to go back through hundreds of old threads and you'll get a good feel for how lots of people view each state and city in Oz.

good luck !

bluekipper Jun 27th 2008 6:28 am

NO I`m not easily swayed by other peoples opinions, and btw I have been a member for many years on Expats! ive just re-joined with a new name,why Im explaining to you I dont know:o

The reasons we use these forums is to get all sides of everyones points of view! or so thats what I thought,Ive been to a few states of OZ and Im asking the OP a question,not you, thankyou very much.

Bluekipper

TraceyW Jun 27th 2008 7:17 am

If this is who I think it is, I wish the four of you all the very very best over there in QLD :wub:

asprilla Jun 27th 2008 8:54 am

Originally Posted by bluekipper (Post 6508577)
NO I`m not easily swayed by other peoples opinions, and btw I have been a member for many years on Expats! ive just re-joined with a new name,why Im explaining to you I dont know:o

The reasons we use these forums is to get all sides of everyones points of view! or so thats what I thought,Ive been to a few states of OZ and Im asking the OP a question,not you, thankyou very much.

Bluekipper

sorry - I didn't mean to offend you. :ohmy:

Catch Jun 27th 2008 8:55 am

hi there
Been in Bunbury for 2 years ,headin over to the sunshine coast in 2 weeks.We are driving there stopping at adelaide,mel, and sydney.Relieved to be leaving bunbury found the boredom down here a killer

carolinejones3 Jun 27th 2008 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 6506050)

:zzz:And you have contributed what exactly to this thread??:huh:
'Get done' police everywhere!!! :p

Wish you luck in your move and karma sent, hope Queens is great for you !!!!!:thumbsup:
Caroline

bluekipper Jun 27th 2008 10:43 am

Originally Posted by markallwood (Post 6508918)
sorry - I didn't mean to offend you. :ohmy:

You did`nt, I feel at sometimes ppl are put off these forums for fear of arguments starting,and then there are some who get off on causing mayhem with their personal opinions, we have to remember we dont know eachother on these sites and should not make assumptions or base opinions on short answers/questions on these forums!

Apology accepted:thumbup:

bluekipper

Baby75 Jun 27th 2008 11:31 am

:thumbsup: my hope we havent frightend the new member off

Any way Im only in Queensland 3 weeks but I have to say its lovely people are lovely fab weather in the day chilly at night alright :lol:

Ild like to see all of Australia while im here and I think people move so much here that they are more welcoming of strangers just what ive found so far :thumbsup:

good luck with the move :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Loch Lomond Jun 27th 2008 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by carolinejones3 (Post 6509173)
:zzz:And you have contributed what exactly to this thread??:huh:
Caroline

Exactly the same as you have

Dawn Jun 28th 2008 3:51 am

Hi Lyndz,

We too are thinking of Moving over from Perth to Queensland, my Aunt lives in Ormeau, so will have a look at Currumbin and surronds whilst im there as a few people have mentioned it to me, I also like the look of further north up near the sunshine coast, weve been in Perth two years now, im planning on going over for a week mid July to have a look on my own, so that should be interesting as im crap with maps and bound to get lost!!! im excited, but like you, finding it all a bit scary but i wont be happy untill ive tried it, and what the heck, Perth, like the UK will always be here, so if all goes wrong we can come back :) I will watch your thread with interest, hope you get some good advice,

Dawn :)

jamiefrod Jun 28th 2008 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 6506050)

boooooooo!

Seems to be the start of a mass exodus from Perth to QLD i know a few people thinking about it including me! Maybe QLD is the new Perth?

Thats only my opinion, please don't post saying I should be burned at the stake for 'dissing Perth'

LisaT Jun 28th 2008 7:09 am

Hi guys

Sorry to jump your thread but also live in Perth and have wandered about queensland. Can anyone advise their reasons for moving?
We live in mandurah but hubby is finding it a little isolated. He would like to move into perth itself but I want to stay on the coast. So maybe wandering if the east would have more options?
Hubby has a cousin who's just moved to Coolum Beach. Anyone know off it?

asprilla Jun 28th 2008 8:43 am

Originally Posted by LisaT (Post 6512335)
Hi guys

Sorry to jump your thread but also live in Perth and have wandered about queensland. Can anyone advise their reasons for moving?
We live in mandurah but hubby is finding it a little isolated. He would like to move into perth itself but I want to stay on the coast. So maybe wandering if the east would have more options?
Hubby has a cousin who's just moved to Coolum Beach. Anyone know off it?

Coolum beach is a small town/village on the sunshine coast. The beach is pretty nice and there are a few restaurants. It has a superb surf club with pretty good food. There is a coles, but hardly any other shops. Nice views from the top of mt coolum. Hyatt coolum is great... golf there is good too. Housing around coolum varies from cheap to expensive.

This one is pretty cheap, in a beautiful spot at the foot of mount coolum. We stayed at a b&b just around the corner recently..., this is a lovely green, peaceful area, 5mins drive from the beach.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1214642224

There is a very broad range of houses in this area, from about $450 up to the millions. But it isn't a very posh area by and large.

Nu-Shooz Jun 28th 2008 8:56 am

Originally Posted by jamiefrod (Post 6512227)
boooooooo!

Seems to be the start of a mass exodus from Perth to QLD i know a few people thinking about it including me! Maybe QLD is the new Perth?

Thats only my opinion, please don't post saying I should be burned at the stake for 'dissing Perth'

LOL....Perth gets very over protected on here doesn't it.

Maybe Perth is far too quiet for people in the end up, nice for a hol sort of thing, but then reality hits. Over East is great...:thumbsup:

lyndz Jun 28th 2008 12:56 pm

Thankyou for all your replies and good wishes - we hope to move over in Jan 2009 we are off in a couple of weeks for a serious rekkie over there --have been over before but always been in holiday mode !!

Nothing wrong with Perth - ive been very happy here and have made wonderful friends however the longer im here im realising just how isolated Perth is and its just to quiet for us --- its taken me 4 years to get to this point defo not going back to the UK so willing to give it a go over East (OH could have left Perth the day he arrived but thats another story ..)

I am hearing of many people who are making the move over -- yep made the big jump suppose a little hop over to Currumbin I can manage -- will try give it 2 yrs I know if I dont go I will always regret it ( and OH will never stop going on about it..;) ...)

Will post again with my findings when I return from rekkie !

___ Trace cest moi ! will PM U when I learn how to do it !! Just working my way round the site Lyndzxx

kevinl Jun 28th 2008 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Catch (Post 6508922)
hi there
Been in Bunbury for 2 years ,headin over to the sunshine coast in 2 weeks.We are driving there stopping at adelaide,mel, and sydney.Relieved to be leaving bunbury found the boredom down here a killer

Good luck peep's. Darcy is already planning her holiday to the Sunshine coast.
Watch out for the kangas on the Nullibor.

Kev

lyndz Jun 28th 2008 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 6512178)
Hi Lyndz,

We too are thinking of Moving over from Perth to Queensland, my Aunt lives in Ormeau, so will have a look at Currumbin and surronds whilst im there as a few people have mentioned it to me, I also like the look of further north up near the sunshine coast, weve been in Perth two years now, im planning on going over for a week mid July to have a look on my own, so that should be interesting as im crap with maps and bound to get lost!!! im excited, but like you, finding it all a bit scary but i wont be happy untill ive tried it, and what the heck, Perth, like the UK will always be here, so if all goes wrong we can come back :) I will watch your thread with interest, hope you get some good advice,

Dawn :)

Dawn sent u a PM Lyndz

alipally Jun 28th 2008 2:36 pm

Hi Lyndz,
Can't offer any real comparisons, as we've not been to Perth, but we found QLD to be great for lifestyle, but the pay was less than in other states. However house prices were more affordable than NSW or Vic.

I hope that you enjoy your next adventure!

Loch Lomond Jun 28th 2008 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by jamiefrod (Post 6512227)
boooooooo!

What are you talking about? My post referred to the point that the OP started a discussion with thier friend, rather than stay on topic!!

worzel Jun 29th 2008 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 6512456)
LOL....Perth gets very over protected on here doesn't it.

Maybe Perth is far too quiet for people in the end up, nice for a hol sort of thing, but then reality hits. Over East is great...:thumbsup:

OK, for probably my 100th time on BE:

Half of the stuff written about Perth on here is uninformed bollocks from people who haven't been here, haven't been in the last 5 years and seen the transformation or tried to live here without being willing to travel more than 10km from their outer suburbs home.

You either love Perth or hate it. If you like the outdoors life you will probably love it. If your life revolves around pubs, clubs and shops it probably isn't the place for you. But there are loads of sports, gigs, pubs, clubs etc if you are willing to travel into the city.

If you have a young family it will probably be the place to be but I wouldn't come here if we didn't have kids.

Perth is not dull nor is it all the same. If you want action live close to the city in one of the older areas like Fremantle or Mount Lawley. If you choose to live in Clarkson, Bunbury, Mandurah and think travelling into the city is a trek then you are probably going to find it too quiet.

Probably.

jamiefrod Jun 29th 2008 5:41 am

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 6514855)

Half of the stuff written about Perth on here is uninformed bollocks from people who haven't been here, haven't been in the last 5 years and seen the transformation or tried to live here without being willing to travel more than 10km from their outer suburbs home.

You either love Perth or hate it. If you like the outdoors life you will probably love it. If your life revolves around pubs, clubs and shops it probably isn't the place for you. But there are loads of sports, gigs, pubs, clubs etc if you are willing to travel into the city.

If you have a young family it will probably be the place to be but I wouldn't come here if we didn't have kids.

Perth is not dull nor is it all the same. If you want action live close to the city in one of the older areas like Fremantle or Mount Lawley. If you choose to live in Clarkson, Bunbury, Mandurah and think travelling into the city is a trek then you are probably going to find it too quiet.

Probably.

here we go lol! :D

Catch Jun 29th 2008 7:34 am

Originally Posted by kevinl (Post 6512950)
Good luck peep's. Darcy is already planning her holiday to the Sunshine coast.
Watch out for the kangas on the Nullibor.

Kev

thanks kev the door is always open:thumbup:

kevinl Jun 29th 2008 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 6514855)

Ok, so as you, 1 person, has had to refute 100 other opinions, that Perth is boring in the middle of nowhere, hicksville etc.

Then I think it reasonable to conclude that 1 in 100 people think Perth is great and 99 % of people think it is boring in the middle of nowhere, hicksville etc.

I doubt that the opinions of 50% of the people on expats is "uninformed bollocks" as you put it, more likely they have a different prospective, who knows maybe some people have less money, no boat or other toys etc etc.

Good luck all those going east.

Kevin

tonychef Jun 29th 2008 2:33 pm

oh dear,

I went to perth in september 2007 on my trip round oz while lokking for somewhere to live, im now worried that the population of perth that live in these enclaves with the british shops and attitudes will move to queensland and spoil it for the rest of us ( sorry nothern suburbs of perth )

So i might have to buy a house pretty damn quick if the same thing happens here as happened in perth,

this is only my view point and im not winding you all up !!!!!!!!!!!

but im scared !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tonychef Jun 29th 2008 2:53 pm

I was a bit sweeping on my last post by singling out certain parts of perth, there are parts of WA that are great eg freo, exmouth, margrate river, broome but perth to me was not what i wanted.

and the northern suburbs on my experiance there were enclaves of brits living the same lives as they left behind but with sunshine for most of the year.

Queensland is a big place so to say its the new Perth is also a bit excesive
as perth itself is bloody small in comparasion to queensland.

I dont think il ever like Perth and i found it very over rated, boring or i might have chose the wrong place to stop for a month

coffeedrinker Jun 29th 2008 5:44 pm

Good luck moving to QLD..

if you like humidity you should be fine :-)

BayWhale Jun 29th 2008 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by tonychef (Post 6515978)
oh dear,

im now worried that the population of perth that live in these enclaves with the british shops and attitudes will move to queensland and spoil it for the rest of us ( sorry nothern suburbs of perth )

this is only my view point and im not winding you all up !!!!!!!!!!!

but im scared !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too, we are getting a little over crowded in South East Qld.

PS I'm on holiday in the UK and can't wait to get home, 48 hours and I will be on my way after two months of seeing old friends and family. Home is where the heart is and mine's in Qld.

Funky Monkey Jun 29th 2008 9:07 pm

I know of 3 seperate people in Perth who have spent many years over East and have actually chose Perth as they prefer it, horses for courses e.t.c

peanut21 Jun 30th 2008 1:26 am

Well if everyone is moving over to queensland my house is for sale in Tallebudgera which is just next door to Currumbin.:D

Check it out in the classifieds section. :thumbsup:

Best of luck with the move everyone:p

worzel Jun 30th 2008 1:26 am

Originally Posted by kevinl (Post 6515788)
Then I think it reasonable to conclude that 1 in 100 people think Perth is great and 99 % of people think it is boring in the middle of nowhere, hicksville etc.

You seriously believe that is reasonable to conclude?:blink:

BristolBeary Jun 30th 2008 1:56 am

Originally Posted by kevinl (Post 6515788)

Kevin

Then I think its reasonable to conclude that Perth is great (better than Brisbane & Adelaide) because this report says so na na na na na :p

http://www.mercer.com/referenceconte...7990#Top50_qol