A Good Read

Old May 19th 2003, 5:08 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default A Good Read

Just got a book by Phillip Knightley, called Australia: A Biography of a Nation.

A very good read. Recommended

Pete.
Old May 19th 2003, 5:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Good Read

Originally posted by PeteY
Just got a book by Phillip Knightley, called Australia: A Biography of a Nation.

A very good read. Recommended

Pete.

i've already got this, but it has to be done in stages as theres LOTS of info!
Old May 19th 2003, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone read Fatal Shores?
Old May 19th 2003, 5:45 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

No, but its next on my reading list.

I also want to read Kangaroo by DH lawrence.
Old May 19th 2003, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gavin B
Has anyone read Fatal Shores?

Yeah, I got about 3/4 of the way through it - it was quite hard going and I love reading! Loads of interesting stuff in it about the early years. How those poor folks survived at all...the 9 month journey chained up in a filthy ship, awful rations, terrible conditions, moronic rules, sadistic floggings etc. And that includes the women! Its a wonder the colony survived let alone flourished.
Old May 19th 2003, 5:59 pm
A Male Member

Hey Wannabe Try the book by Phillip Knightly. He reckons there is good evidence that the transportees were treated very well indeed, and the the whole thing was basically an experiment by the Brits to see if convicts could create a worthwhile colony.

He does have some good points. Eg.

1) Mainly felans with pretty short sentances were sent, i.e. those having committed minor crimes.
2) They were mainly young and healthy
3) The ships docters were dicaplilned if too many of their charges dies
4) The convicts were given one full meal, 2 snacks and a shot of lemon juice a day. Occationally they were served wine!!!

Lots more too, can't be bothered to type them all

Cheers

Pete.
Old May 19th 2003, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Those conditions sound like my last Qantas flight over!
Old May 19th 2003, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can find all those books and more by visiting www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/books.php use the search engine or the links. About 11000 to choose from. !!
Old May 19th 2003, 6:42 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget 'On the beach' by Nevill Shute - about an American who moves to Australia, a ripping yarn.

Cheers - Don
Old May 19th 2003, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

What do people reckon of "Down Under" by Bill Bryson?
Old May 19th 2003, 6:48 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Gavin B
What do people reckon of "Down Under" by Bill Bryson?
Funny but a bit 'American' as you'd expect - ie thick about things a Brit would take for granted, sometimes very lame jokes.

Cheers - Don
Old May 19th 2003, 7:21 pm
Badge

Originally posted by WannabeWallaby
Yeah, I got about 3/4 of the way through it - it was quite hard going and I love reading! Loads of interesting stuff in it about the early years. How those poor folks survived at all...the 9 month journey chained up in a filthy ship, awful rations, terrible conditions, moronic rules, sadistic floggings etc. And that includes the women! Its a wonder the colony survived let alone flourished.

i read this. apparently there was an orgy one night shortly after they all arrived in Sydney....and quite a bit of action on the ships..

made me laugh anyway

those poor buggers stole hankerchiefs - we have to pay the best part of a thousand quid and wait the best part of a year

badgers

Old May 19th 2003, 7:40 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I am reading Australia 2003 (took them a while to think of that title!) and its got a classic piece on shark attacks, telling you how rare they are etc, it then goes on to say that

" the white pointer is so rare that it has been made a protected species, so if one attacks you must not fight back and harm it in anyway. That is illegal"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok must remember that when it attempts to chomp my leg off then
Old May 19th 2003, 7:46 pm
Don
Banned

They're pulling your leg - cheers - Don
Old May 19th 2003, 7:49 pm
Badge

also

No Worries by Mark McCrum

and

In the Land of Oz by Howard Jacobson - a kind of Bryson pre-cursor - not as funny. has Greyhound bus drivers down pat.

i have also written a 100,000 word book based on my travel experiences which people have liked but I am too bashful to provide the link on expats..(!) so unless stacks of people ask then I'm not sure! it's fairly light-hearted and gives an insight in to the character, lifestyle and aussies, less on history etc.

it is also a bit of a biography of a few adventures i have had.

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; May 19th 2003 at 9:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.