Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good news for potential ex-pats

Good news for potential ex-pats

Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Bluebristolian is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Good news for potential ex-pats

The OZ government wants to increase the number of skilled migrants due to the booming job market over here. See this news article

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-29277,00.html

We've been in Melbourne for 7 months now and there is NO WAY we would go back to sad old Blighty.

BB.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:52 am
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news for potential ex-pats

why don't they just make the age limit 50 rather than 44 as there seems to be a lot of people that miss there chance because of this. as long as you pass the medicals theres no reason why you won't be putting a good number of years of hard work and well needed skills into the place.
and glad your enjoying your new life and can't wait to go myself
jonni
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jonni boy
why don't they just make the age limit 50 rather than 44 as there seems to be a lot of people that miss there chance because of this. as long as you pass the medicals theres no reason why you won't be putting a good number of years of hard work and well needed skills into the place.
jonni
Good point. We're all being told now that we're going to have to work until we drop so you could put a good 20 years in the workforce!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Good news for potential ex-pats

Originally Posted by jonni boy
jonni
The Australians believe they have problem with an ageing population, and they certainly understand that the future of any country depends on its children. They don't just want people who are going to work for a few years, they also want people with children, or are likely to be breeding! The age cutoff point reflects this. I'm in my forties but we have 2 young children, which I'm sure helped me in my application even though it isn't part of the official requirements.

Australia is a fantasic place to bring children up, and not bad for their parents either :-) We live in Melbourne which we really like. I'd never been to OZ before we arrived, and we also had no family here either so it was a bit of a leap of faith. Luckily it's turned out to be better than I'd imagined, and even the children say they would hate to go back to the UK.

Good luck.

BB.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bluebristolian
The OZ government wants to increase the number of skilled migrants due to the booming job market over here. See this news article

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-29277,00.html

We've been in Melbourne for 7 months now and there is NO WAY we would go back to sad old Blighty.

BB.

Thanks for the link. I've printed it off for hubby to read as he's still wont make a positive decision to go - I make him read positive things like that link and negatives like newspaper articles regarding illegal immigration here, scroungers on our benefit system and any thing else negative in the UK to make him take that leap of faith!!!

Hugs
Karen

xx
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:26 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmmmmmm i doubt i must b invisible.................but hey never mine :s
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Good news for potential ex-pats

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Thanks for the link. I've printed it off for hubby to read as he's still wont make a positive decision to go - I make him read positive things like that link and negatives like newspaper articles regarding illegal immigration here, scroungers on our benefit system and any thing else negative in the UK to make him take that leap of faith!!!

Hugs
Karen

xx
Yeah, the illegal immigrants/asylum seekers/overcrowding/political correctness are all part of the reason we got fed up with the UK. I didn't feel there was any future for us in the UK. Fortunately the Australians have a far more sensible attitude to all that sort of thing and it shows through in the quality of life here. We met a turkish guy and family who'd just emigrated soon after we'd arrived. Interestingly he said he ruled out going to the UK because the British version of multiculturalism is so bad! He's a qualified electronic engineer. The only real difference between a third world country and a first world one is the people that live there!
We feel far more at home here than we have done for years in the UK. As long as you come here with a positive can do attitude, you'll have no problem. I came here with no job, but there is plenty of work around and we both had jobs within a month of arriving. The Australians we have met have all been very friendly and helpful and we already have quite a few friends. They don't like whingeing poms, (which we aren't) We are always telling them how great it is here, and how crap it is in the UK! Guaranteed to make you popular with the Ozzies :-)

Good luck.

BB.