Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From A 14 Year Olds Point Of View!

From A 14 Year Olds Point Of View!

Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough
Smile From A 14 Year Olds Point Of View!

Hi
I recently moved to Perth, Mandurah from the UK. I have been here now for 5 weeks and already I love it! When I first arrived I was really jetlagged, but after I had a good sleep I was ready and waiting for my new life ahead. In the mornings it was like heaven, opening my curtains to see nice blue clear sky, instead of the usual grey clouds and rain I used to see. My first impressions were like ‘Wow, its so beautiful’ everywhere I went, I was just stunned by how lovely it looked. The sun sure does make me heaps happier! Its winter now I think? And it’s still blooming nice! So yeah as the days went on, I love it more and more!
Anyway after 2 weeks, the time had finally arrived; my younger brother and I were being enrolled into our new schools. Although we had a few days till we actually started our proper first day! My stomache was going mental. I was so nervous!! I’m sure some of you will know how I feel soon!
The dreaded day arrived, sadly! I was so scared! I walked into the school, and straight into the Administration Office, in which I was greeted by my Head of Year 10 Teacher. I then said goodbye to mum and dad. The head then showed me around a few classes, he then gave me my Timetable, which I was pretty lucky with as, In year 10 you chose your Options at the beginning of the Year, and as I as new, I was lucky to get the ones I wanted. My options I have chosen in Oz are different to my UK options, but they don’t have them on offer. By this time, the bell had rung and students were in their classes, which made it even more embarrassing as I had more classes to go into, so everyone stared at me. I was shaking like mad, but managed to hold it together! Then it was time for me to be taken to my first ever class in Oz! Now I was extremely scared! I walked in and got introduced to the teacher who seemed nice enough. I then was introduced to some girls who made me feel extremely welcome and was very friendly. During that lesson I had people coming up to me, and asking me various questions like, My name, where I’m from, do I like Australia, what’s my old school like etc.. Hehe! I even got asked to repeat myself, because they liked to hear my accent, this made me laugh! Everyone was just so nice and kind to me; it really did help my confidence. It was then Recess (as they call it) and a girl took me around to introduce me to her friends and various people, I even had people come up to me and shake my hand lol! Then it was time for my next class, I was nervous again, as I don’t know where to sit, as everyone has there own like seats, and so I don’t want to sit in the wrong one, so I held back a little, but they all told me to pull up a chair and sit with them, which was nice. It is hard because these people have grown up with each other, so yes it’s a little hard to fit in, but people are so friendly and welcoming! I found that a lot of people I met, had moved to Australia from the UK, and you’ll probably notice that too. As the days went on, I was meeting more and more people, and my nerves were calming down a lot more. I did have one bad day, where I burst into tears, and needed a break, I couldn’t go to school, but mum and dad were there to help me through it. The following day, I went to school, and it must have been my best day there yet!! Again so many people were nice to me! It is hard to start off with, but it gets easier. Honestly, believe me, it does get a lot easier! I now hang around with a group of girls and they couldn’t have been any nicer to me!
My younger brother has also settled in really well! He’s made some really good friends. He now actually loves going to school! Lol
Well Australia is my home now! And I Love it!
Thanking for taking the time to read this!
Sorry if I bored you silly! Hehe

Madhouse’s Daughter
Gemma xxx
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From A 14 Year Olds Point Of View!

Well Gemma I am really glad you have settled in to your new school and your new life.And may I wish you all the very best.You have been very brave as its not easy being the new kid in school.
Mandurah is a really nice place and is growing bigger all the time.I think growing up there you will find plenty of things to do.
It would be great if your Mum and Dad come on and tell us all about how they are getting on.
I shall show your post to my little boy who is 6 as this will make him feel better as he may be in the same position as you in the future.
Just out of interest what School are you attending and are your Mum and Dad pleased with it?
All my best wishes Dreamaway.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing I forgot to ask.Did you go to the Crab Festival back in March?
We were there then visiting the area and joined in the celebrations it was really good and Joe and Lucy really enjoyed it especially when they got hold a crab although it was dead probably for the best as they would not have held it otherwise.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:40 pm
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Glad that you are enjoying your life Gemma, it is good of you to let us know how you found your first days at school, I am going to print out your message, to show my lads. Good luck in everything you do
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Hi Thankyou for the reply. The school i go to is Community College at Halls Head, and my brother is at the Primary. Mum and Dad are pleased with both schools, they both came highly recommended!
We have not long had the internet put into our house, but mum promises to do an update on our life so far here
Gemma
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Another thing I forgot to ask.Did you go to the Crab Festival back in March?
We were there then visiting the area and joined in the celebrations it was really good and Joe and Lucy really enjoyed it especially when they got hold a crab although it was dead probably for the best as they would not have held it otherwise.
Unfortunatly, we arrived that weekend but was to jetlagged to make it there! So next year we'll deffinatly be there
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
Glad that you are enjoying your life Gemma, it is good of you to let us know how you found your first days at school, I am going to print out your message, to show my lads. Good luck in everything you do
Thanks I know how scared i was when i was back in the UK worrying about school, I just wanted to let everybody know that it isnt all that bad and you do settle in easy, cos people are so friendly!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Hi Gemma,

thanks for sharing your experience. I have a 12 year old daughter, she will be 13 or 14 by the time get there, and she's already scared to death when thinking of her new school. In addition to everything else she's not native English speaking. She's learning it at school since 1 1/2 years, but isn't sure if that will be enough to help her. I'm sure she'll learn quickly once in Australia.

I'm printing out your post and will give it to her to read, I think she'll understand some of it and with the rest I can help. It will help her so see that others have the same worries and scaredness she has.

I wish you all the best for your future in Australia!

Lavinia
Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Really nice post Gemma and thanks for letting us know how your first day at school went, makes me feel better knowing that you and other kids that have moved to Oz are happy & have settled well into school....my children are 7 & 5 my daughter is very worried about starting a new school

All the best

Sue
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: From A 14 Year Olds Point Of View!

Fantastic post Gemma!
I'm sure you have helped a lot of very nervous children.
So glad things are working out for you & please keep us updated.
Karen x
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

Well done Gemma, what a lovely post.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:35 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gemma

What a brill thread.
We will be comin' over to Oz sometime this year, i've got a 14 yr old daughter.

Can't wait to show her your thread, she will be really nervous when she starts a new school, so your thread may help her a bit.

All i've got to do now is get her out of her pit
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:56 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Way to go Gemma (and younger bro) !!!

Hope you enjoy the rest of life in Perth (I know it can get quite boring for kids, but you have friends to hang out with to make it more interesting).

Stay cool, and try not to lose your accent too quickly.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:58 am
Phoenixuk2oz

A great post Gemma and such a lovely thing to do, sharing your views with other school age children. This will go a long way to making other's feel comfortable with the move to Aus and it's also a very realistic post as you've shared your highs and lows. A fantastic post and an honest account!

Great to hear you love it and that the move has been a good one for you and please keep us posted. Good luck with all Aus has to offer you Gemma

Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Madhouse!
Hi
I recently moved to Perth, Mandurah from the UK. I have been here now for 5 weeks and already I love it! When I first arrived I was really jetlagged, but after I had a good sleep I was ready and waiting for my new life ahead. In the mornings it was like heaven, opening my curtains to see nice blue clear sky, instead of the usual grey clouds and rain I used to see. My first impressions were like ‘Wow, its so beautiful’ everywhere I went, I was just stunned by how lovely it looked. The sun sure does make me heaps happier! Its winter now I think? And it’s still blooming nice! So yeah as the days went on, I love it more and more!
Anyway after 2 weeks, the time had finally arrived; my younger brother and I were being enrolled into our new schools. Although we had a few days till we actually started our proper first day! My stomache was going mental. I was so nervous!! I’m sure some of you will know how I feel soon!
The dreaded day arrived, sadly! I was so scared! I walked into the school, and straight into the Administration Office, in which I was greeted by my Head of Year 10 Teacher. I then said goodbye to mum and dad. The head then showed me around a few classes, he then gave me my Timetable, which I was pretty lucky with as, In year 10 you chose your Options at the beginning of the Year, and as I as new, I was lucky to get the ones I wanted. My options I have chosen in Oz are different to my UK options, but they don’t have them on offer. By this time, the bell had rung and students were in their classes, which made it even more embarrassing as I had more classes to go into, so everyone stared at me. I was shaking like mad, but managed to hold it together! Then it was time for me to be taken to my first ever class in Oz! Now I was extremely scared! I walked in and got introduced to the teacher who seemed nice enough. I then was introduced to some girls who made me feel extremely welcome and was very friendly. During that lesson I had people coming up to me, and asking me various questions like, My name, where I’m from, do I like Australia, what’s my old school like etc.. Hehe! I even got asked to repeat myself, because they liked to hear my accent, this made me laugh! Everyone was just so nice and kind to me; it really did help my confidence. It was then Recess (as they call it) and a girl took me around to introduce me to her friends and various people, I even had people come up to me and shake my hand lol! Then it was time for my next class, I was nervous again, as I don’t know where to sit, as everyone has there own like seats, and so I don’t want to sit in the wrong one, so I held back a little, but they all told me to pull up a chair and sit with them, which was nice. It is hard because these people have grown up with each other, so yes it’s a little hard to fit in, but people are so friendly and welcoming! I found that a lot of people I met, had moved to Australia from the UK, and you’ll probably notice that too. As the days went on, I was meeting more and more people, and my nerves were calming down a lot more. I did have one bad day, where I burst into tears, and needed a break, I couldn’t go to school, but mum and dad were there to help me through it. The following day, I went to school, and it must have been my best day there yet!! Again so many people were nice to me! It is hard to start off with, but it gets easier. Honestly, believe me, it does get a lot easier! I now hang around with a group of girls and they couldn’t have been any nicer to me!
My younger brother has also settled in really well! He’s made some really good friends. He now actually loves going to school! Lol
Well Australia is my home now! And I Love it!
Thanking for taking the time to read this!
Sorry if I bored you silly! Hehe

Madhouse’s Daughter
Gemma xxx

Hi Gemma,

Thank you for writing this very articulate account of your new life adventure so far I will show this to my eldest son (13) who I know has lots of questions (and fears) about moving to a new school (let alone a new continent!)

We wish you and your family the very best.
Karen & Family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.