Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

good low cost credit card for new migrants?

good low cost credit card for new migrants?

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

lokum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default good low cost credit card for new migrants?

we just arrived here in melbourne and recently opened a bank account with NAB. we don't have jobs yet, but we would like to open a credit card account so that we can build a credit history here in australia. we're looking for a no/or low cost credit card and we will be paying the entire balance monthly. Any recommendations on the best credit card to obtain? thanks.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: good low cost credit card for new migrants?

Originally Posted by lokum
we just arrived here in melbourne and recently opened a bank account with NAB. we don't have jobs yet, but we would like to open a credit card account so that we can build a credit history here in australia. we're looking for a no/or low cost credit card and we will be paying the entire balance monthly. Any recommendations on the best credit card to obtain? thanks.
Not a fee free card, as such, but worth looking at, depending on your card spending pattern:

ANZ Rewards Credit card -
An annual card fee of $48, which includes the reward card fee.

This card provides rewards points of 1 point for every $1.50 spent on the card.

Spending $9,504 a year will provide you with at least 6,336 points which would be valued at $48 in cash. (Although you do need to reach 13,200 points before you can cash them in for a $100 credit on your credit card account).

Net result is that if you spend $9,504 per year, or more, your card becomes FREE, and you may even then get paid for using it, on any spending above that figure.

We get at least $150 cash back every year, which well offsets the $48 annual fee.

The interest rate is irrelevant to us as we also pay off in full each month

Credit Cards in Australia

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

You may want a credit card to use & thats fine, but i you are doing it 'to get a credit rating' ....dont! it doesnt work like that here! Effectively here you start off with zero and you can only make it worse by defaulting etc you cant make it better. Also any credit you have will come off the ammount of mortgage you may be able to get.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Why do you want to build credit history? Unlike the UK you don't need to build history in Australia, it is more the other way around, you start off well and they take if off you if, for example, you make lots of credit applications, or miss payments.

I didn't get my Australian credit card out until I had my first home loan since the credit card limit (not the amount owed on the card) is taken into account for any other borrowings.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spottydog
Why do you want to build credit history? Unlike the UK you don't need to build history in Australia, it is more the other way around, you start off well and they take if off you if, for example, you make lots of credit applications, or miss payments.

I didn't get my Australian credit card out until I had my first home loan since the credit card limit (not the amount owed on the card) is taken into account for any other borrowings.
Snap! only you put it better!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by windog
You may want a credit card to use & thats fine, but i you are doing it 'to get a credit rating' ....dont! it doesnt work like that here! Effectively here you start off with zero and you can only make it worse by defaulting etc you cant make it better. Also any credit you have will come off the ammount of mortgage you may be able to get.
I agree with you on the above, but there is a way round the mortgage part.

If you pay off the full balance every month, and can prove that to the lender, normally with all the statements, they are able to disregard your credit limit when considering your mortgage.

Getting a Mortgage in Australia

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

i read that the CUA supposedly has the lowest annual (primary/dependent) fees.....
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:08 am
ABCDiamond

Bank of Queensland has a "no annual fee" credit card.

http://www.boq.com.au/personal_credi...terestfree.htm

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:06 am
Just Joined

thanks for the replies. i guess it is just best for us just to use our ATM cards rather than applying for a credit card, since we will be paying off the card each month, and that we don't get a credit history. thanks!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:16 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

I'd be surprised if any bank would give a credit card to new migrants without jobs
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:25 am
Just Joined

NAB offered us the option to open credit cards (and we don't have jobs) when we validated our migrant bank accounts. they recommended the standard card with $30 annual fee.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Credit Unions if you can qualify for one that is linked to your industry. I'm in two of them and haven't paid any bank charges for many years, still have access to ATMs and all banking facilities. Both Credit Unions give me two cards which can be used as either debit or credit, very handy to have plenty of cards when travelling especially overseas, at least one of them will always work. Also look at industry superannuation funds and industry health funds.