Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ADSL, ADSL2, Mobile Broadband..... which is best value?

ADSL, ADSL2, Mobile Broadband..... which is best value?

Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice
Default ADSL, ADSL2, Mobile Broadband..... which is best value?

Hi, we have just moved to Perth and need to setup broadband in our new rental. My experience of broadband so far in Oz in holiday rentals has not been great, therefore any recommendations?

I would like to get more than 3Mbps and min 3GB per month download. The prices seem to vary considerably by provider so who and what is the best service?

Any advice greatly received as always.

Cheers

MANDS
Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ADSL, ADSL2, Mobile Broadband..... which is best value?

Originally Posted by MANDS14
Hi, we have just moved to Perth and need to setup broadband in our new rental. My experience of broadband so far in Oz in holiday rentals has not been great, therefore any recommendations?

I would like to get more than 3Mbps and min 3GB per month download. The prices seem to vary considerably by provider so who and what is the best service?

Any advice greatly received as always.

Cheers

MANDS
I would also be interested in any links to websites that give further info on broadband packages available in Australia, as I'll be moving to melbourne early next year & currently use O2 with good speed rate, unlimited downloads (which I make good use of!) for only £7.50 p/m.
Anything remotely similar in Victoria available like this?
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:24 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

ADSL2 is probably the "best value" checkout the whirlpool forums.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Yes Whirlpool is the definitive source for broadband options. I did my research there and initially chose Virgin Broadband at Home (which was fine for just internet use combined with free statewide calls) and am now with TPG for their adsl2+ service.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Go for a Naked adsl2 service, naked means that you dont need a phone line connected. So this means you wont be paying any line rental to telstra. This will save you quite a bit each month. You still plug the modem into the phone line in the same way you normally would.

I went with iinet for my naked service and get 60gb offpeak (2am-12pm) and 40gb peak (12pm-2am) so I can use a total of 100gb if I wanted to. This is also up to 24mb line

They do of course offer a wide range of packages, the money you save on line rental you can put towards a faster connection or bigger download
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:11 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

iiNet are generally recognised as the best deals around for high-end users.

Be aware that the Australian network is years behind the UK one (Telstra and the Govt are still arguing) so ADSL2+ is not available in many areas (including mine).
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dave99
I went with iinet for my naked service and get 60gb offpeak (2am-12pm) and 40gb peak (12pm-2am) so I can use a total of 100gb if I wanted to. This is also up to 24mb line
How did you go when transferring from your previous isp as iinet's naked dsl service does not support single service transfer?
Old Dec 25th 2008, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
How did you go when transferring from your previous isp as iinet's naked dsl service does not support single service transfer?
How do you mean transferring?, if you have one already simply cancel it, then cancel the phone line and give iinet a call to setup a new one, easy
Old Dec 25th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

OK how much lead time did iinet need?
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Thanks guys for the info and the links. I'll go and do some more research with my new info.

Cheers

MANDS
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:26 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

I am clueless to all this naked stuff!!

But I went and bought the mobile telstra USB thing, and I have to say we think its great, got rid of the home phone and now just have the mobile connection! I pay $80 a month and get loads of down load and it feels so much faster than the equivalent I had previously!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Willin is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no value in broadband in Australia.
My jaw still drops when I think how much I am paying.
$90pm for 20g peak / 20g off peak with 3.4m on ADSL2 in central Sydney .
Do not think you will find anything equivalent to UK.
I use torrent and BBCiplayer, 4OD and always pay for extra Gigs.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Willin
I agree the prices here are poor, but we get adsl2 with tpg www.tpg.com.au
for $50pm for 25g peak / 25g off peak (plus phone line charges with telstra).

For heavier users there are more deals which might suit better eg 70GB dload for $90.

In the deal I also get $300 mobile cap for $9.99 a month (same network/call charge as optus).

Last edited by carlap; Dec 29th 2008 at 10:16 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Willin
Get yourself to iinet, $90 for 60gb offpeak / 40gb peak naked so you dont need a phone line, so no line rental to telstra each month.

Or they do 65gb / 65gb for $120

Some sites are free unmetred as well including ABC iview (similer to the bbc iplayer), itunes (so you can rent movies / shows), radio and also all xbox traffic as well, all unmetred
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dave99
Get yourself to iinet, $90 for 60gb offpeak / 40gb peak naked so you dont need a phone line, so no line rental to telstra each month.
How do you find their download speeds in general? I am with TPG's adsl2+ but I don't get those speeds because of distance to the exchange and blah blah blah. What are they like for p2p? My contract with TPG expires in a few months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.