Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:28 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by shiels
We have this same dilemma only its with our cat!!! The dog is coming to Aus with us, just have to decide about the cat now ...........C x
Ours was ran over a week before we moved despite being re-homed, we could have brought it all the way to Aus for the same thing to happen.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:31 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Ours was ran over a week before we moved despite being re-homed, we could have brought it all the way to Aus for the same thing to happen.
OMG.....that would have just made me feel really guilty for not taking it to Aus!!! C x
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:35 pm
Mrs Bushpig!

Bushpig is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
my boys are in quarantine at the moment (2 westies ages 4yrs) i could not have come without them. They are well and truly my babies, i know i sound mad! It was / is expensive but 100% worth it to us. I know i will settle so much better once they are here.
My dogs mean the world to me but I had to weigh up if it would be for them or for me to bring them to a country of which they are not used too, we're going to Darwin (NT) which is tropical, I have had loads of people offer to have my little babies so I got to choose who deserves them. so knowing that both are happy and settled, they don't shed a tear for me although i sit quite often shedding tears for them but at least I know they are happy. I had already been told how much it would cost so I'd set aside £3k although on getting the quote it was only £2200 for both, then was told Lenny couldn't travel due to his blood ect.. I then got quoted £1850 for Lara ( small cocker). i'm just so much happier that I know their ok.
JO
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bushpig
My dogs mean the world to me but I had to weigh up if it would be for them or for me to bring them to a country of which they are not used too, we're going to Darwin (NT) which is tropical, I have had loads of people offer to have my little babies so I got to choose who deserves them. so knowing that both are happy and settled, they don't shed a tear for me although i sit quite often shedding tears for them but at least I know they are happy. I had already been told how much it would cost so I'd set aside £3k although on getting the quote it was only £2200 for both, then was told Lenny couldn't travel due to his blood ect.. I then got quoted £1850 for Lara ( small cocker). i'm just so much happier that I know their ok.
JO
Originally Posted by shiels
OMG.....that would have just made me feel really guilty for not taking it to Aus!!! C x
Ours were big dogs so would have cost at least 4000 GBP each and as for the cat like I say it could have ended up mince meat here just the same so no guilt there I didn't make it run on the road.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay 88 will become famous soon enough

We came out in November (to Perth) and brought our two jack russells. Personally I wouldn't have come without them. They are both loving it here - they are able to walk on the beach nearly every day, and the older one spends her days sunbathing. Her athritis has completely cleared up.
The one downside is you need to keep them on leads whilst in the bush, and I am forever scanning the paths in front for snakes (haven't seen one yet...)

I do let them off in the park when there is no one else around, and haven't had any problems. I haven't seen any nasty spiders yet either, but you have just reminded me that they need their monthly Tick treatment.

It's down to personal choice - but my experience is that the quarantine is only a short time, and once you have got your dogs with you in your new home, you really feel that you are settled.

Good luck with your decision

Jayne (molly and nipper)
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:23 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the posts on this thread are frankly ridiculous excuses not to take your pet.

If your impression of Australia is that we have poisonous spiders, cane toads, wild dingos, snakes and crocs who regularly invade your house then your mistaken.

Sure, we have those things but in suburbia, and frankly thats where most of you are headed, you'll be lucky to EVER see anything like that. At worst your going to see a huntsman or an orb spider from time to time and thats harmless.

If you want to come up with an excuse to make the decsion to leave the pet and not pay for the shipping then please do better than that one. If you want to worry about anything at all here then its the paralysis ticks which are easily prevented with killtix collars etc.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 1 boxer with us and bought another here, the only thing theyve eaten thats dangerous is the bloody rat poison the land lord left down

Apart from that theyre doing fine
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jemmaandjon
I am in the same boat, however we are right at the beginning of our applications. Honey my black lab and smokey and the bandit my cats mean the universe to me. I think about this every day. My dad has offered to have the dawg but I just dont think I could leave her behind but is brisbane going to be a better life for her?? Good luck with staffy lovely dawgs.
We have a black lab that we brought over with us. She is a mad lab dog - totally hyperactive, always has been and probably always will be. She absolutely loves it here. We have to watch her with the local wildlife etc of course, she spent a lot of this morning chasing a stick insect round the garage. Stick insect won - it climbed on to the ceiling. She loves it here but you do have to keep an eye on them.

Mx
Old Feb 15th 2007, 4:31 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

The "I'm worried that my dog will eat a spider/cane toad/scorpion/poisonous snake//jellyfish/blue ringed octopus/great white shark and die" thing really puzzles me, as does the "I'm worried that my dog will be bitten/stung by a spider/snake/rabid giraffe and die" thing.

There are thousands of dogs all over Australia, living quite happily with proud and loving owners. They seem to cope perfectly well; why would British dogs be any different? I owned a dog when we lived in Tamar Valley (Tasmania) which is semi-rural - and never had any problems with spiders, snakes, etc. My little dog died when she was hit by a car; the local fauna was the least of my worries!

BTW, for anyone desperately worried about cane toads - they only live in Queensland, NSW and the NT, so very easily avoided.

My wife and I will be taking our cat; we wouldn't leave her behind, under any circumstances.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

I admire anyone with the dedication to bring their animals, however, no matter how much we loved ours, they were re-homed, we personally felt that a new life in a new country, starting from scratch and only bringing personal things, therefore having to buy everything again, meant the added pressure of thousands of pounds in cost to ship out the dog and cat forced us to ask the question, which is more important? For us, the kids and a roof over our head, a car and furniture, and the chance to try and make it were more important. Shipping the cat and dog were going to cost including everything, around £5,500 minimum, that's nearly $14,000. Thats several months rent, or a people carrier.
Yes we will get new pets, but our kids take financial priority, and we want to know that we can afford the inevitable costs associated with pets.
So for those who can afford to bring them, fantastic! go for it! for those of us who can't, it doesn't matter what reason we give, we shouldn't have to justify our descision. Snakes spiders cane toads or cars, maybe they are a reason, maybe not, I just feel that people should not be made to feel guilty for their decision either way. Sorry for the rant, just felling bad for some
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:57 am
Mrs Bushpig!

Bushpig is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
I admire anyone with the dedication to bring their animals, however, no matter how much we loved ours, they were re-homed, we personally felt that a new life in a new country, starting from scratch and only bringing personal things, therefore having to buy everything again, meant the added pressure of thousands of pounds in cost to ship out the dog and cat forced us to ask the question, which is more important? For us, the kids and a roof over our head, a car and furniture, and the chance to try and make it were more important. Shipping the cat and dog were going to cost including everything, around £5,500 minimum, that's nearly $14,000. Thats several months rent, or a people carrier.
Yes we will get new pets, but our kids take financial priority, and we want to know that we can afford the inevitable costs associated with pets.
So for those who can afford to bring them, fantastic! go for it! for those of us who can't, it doesn't matter what reason we give, we shouldn't have to justify our descision. Snakes spiders cane toads or cars, maybe they are a reason, maybe not, I just feel that people should not be made to feel guilty for their decision either way. Sorry for the rant, just felling bad for some
Thanks, yes does make you feel guilty about leaving the dogs behind when someone is just looking for a reaction. I will get dogs when I get out there (I can't see any reason why not) like you say there's millions of dogs out in Oz, the thing being is that as I already have to split my dogs up as Lenny can not travel due to illness, Lara needs attention 100% of the time, the people who have taken her live doors away I see her dailey, she's settled, happy and on holiday for dog walkers this week! My mind is at rest as I know they are going to be happy for the rest of their years here. we have 3 months left in this country.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Some of the posts on this thread are frankly ridiculous excuses not to take your pet.

If your impression of Australia is that we have poisonous spiders, cane toads, wild dingos, snakes and crocs who regularly invade your house then your mistaken.
You're right you are definitely in the 'godzone', I'm not making excuses at all, I made a personal decision not to bring them which I haven't regretted and could have well afforded to bring them if I'd thought it was the right thing to do. They were re-homed with a family that spoil them rotten and have as much land as we had so they are having a happy life... in fact they are spoilt more than when we had them with the dog even getting hydro therapy after a leg sprain.

Plus I don't live in surburbia, we do have cane toads and our dog has had ticks several times now despite 2 weekly spray and we do have snakes in our area.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bushpig
Thanks, yes does make you feel guilty about leaving the dogs behind when someone is just looking for a reaction. I will get dogs when I get out there (I can't see any reason why not) like you say there's millions of dogs out in Oz, the thing being is that as I already have to split my dogs up as Lenny can not travel due to illness, Lara needs attention 100% of the time, the people who have taken her live doors away I see her dailey, she's settled, happy and on holiday for dog walkers this week! My mind is at rest as I know they are going to be happy for the rest of their years here. we have 3 months left in this country.
I hope your new life brings everything you hope for!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

frances is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We have a Cocker spaniel she is three years old and we have brought her with us, I think you just have to be careful if you let them off the lead and keep checking for ticks, I could not have left her behind as she had three homes before us, also sometimes you need them here when you are having a lonely moment missing your family and friends, but having said that I am sure any dog would settle with another family quite well so long as you know they have a good home, my dog is happy enough but it is very hot for them here. Personally I couldn't leave her but I wouldn't feel bad if you decide to leave the dog in England. Frances
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Subject to us being granted our visa (CO allocated, meds and police checks all done now) we will be taking 3 or 4 Irish Setters to Canberra with us. We currently have 5 setters but our oldest has been diagnosed with cancer so even if she is still looking well at the time we emigrate we will not take her with us. Rio will be 9 in September and I am really battling hard on whether to take him or not. It isn't just the cost (paying £7000 for the other 3) but he does not handle the british heat very well so I am not sure how he will cope. Our other problem is that we will be renting for the first few years we are in Canberra so although it is going to be hard to find somewhere with 3 dogs (that are house dogs) it will be even harder with 4. I am having all 4 vaccinated in April (without Lepto) so that if we decide to bring Rio as well there will not be any problems with blood tests.

My dogs are a very big part of my life and I cannot imagine leaving them all behind but I do see why some people do - its just not for me. I was offerered a very nice home for Rio recently but I just could not bring myself to part with him. We were recently in Australia for a month and although I missed the dogs terribly it was great to have the freedom to do what we wanted when we wanted but in my mind that is why I have holidays. I could not be without the dogs in my normal daily life.

It is a very difficult decision for people to make when dogs or cats have been a part of the family and despite all the advice people offer only the individuals concerned know if it is the right thing to take their pet or not. I do not own land here for the dogs and I probably won't in Australia so their lives will not be much different apart from more regular worm/tick/flea treatments but my life would be if they were not with me.

Good luck in whatever posters decide - as long as your pets are happy and loved thats all that matters

Hel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.