Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:52 pm
  #1  
The Xboxerr Lool
Thread Starter
 
Big jack123's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane... Eight Mile Plaines
Posts: 41
Big jack123 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Iv got a 3 yr old dog and usually when you see a common spider he will kill it and eat it (ewww) but im just worried because he might chase a snake nd get killed and i dont want to loose him.... Ideas ne1?
Big jack123 is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:57 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
yolandacharm's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Palm Beach QLD
Posts: 532
yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by Big jack123 View Post
Iv got a 3 yr old dog and usually when you see a common spider he will kill it and eat it (ewww) but im just worried because he might chase a snake nd get killed and i dont want to loose him.... Ideas ne1?
personally, and only my personal opinion, unless you think you can curb that habit, might be better to leave him behind. He might as you say try and tackle a snake, or a cane toad, and end up very sorry for himself or worse!
yolandacharm is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 8:03 pm
  #3  
Timelord
 
DrWho's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Lost in space...
Posts: 2,834
DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by Big jack123 View Post
Iv got a 3 yr old dog and usually when you see a common spider he will kill it and eat it (ewww) but im just worried because he might chase a snake nd get killed and i dont want to loose him.... Ideas ne1?
Take him... How do you think all the dogs out here cope...? He's got a much better chance of being roadkill... And if you leave him you lose him anyway...
DrWho is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:15 pm
  #4  
roy
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 24
HEYSFAMILY is a jewel in the roughHEYSFAMILY is a jewel in the roughHEYSFAMILY is a jewel in the roughHEYSFAMILY is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by Big jack123 View Post
Iv got a 3 yr old dog and usually when you see a common spider he will kill it and eat it (ewww) but im just worried because he might chase a snake nd get killed and i dont want to loose him.... Ideas ne1?
We are having to leave our staffy behind with a friend. The reason is exactly the same. We consulted with our vet and we tried over several months to curb the eating of spiders habit.
We are lucky in that we found a good home. Its a difficult position to be in and a lot of money to gamble. Ultimatly its down to what you belive to be the best.
HEYSFAMILY is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:52 am
  #5  
Mrs Bushpig!
 
Bushpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Palmerston, Darwin NT
Posts: 162
Bushpig is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

I have 2 cocker spaniels (7&9) which are part of the family, It took a long time to work out what would be best for them. The oldest cocker won't be allowed to fly as he has a blood problem and has had a couple of strokes (although he can still go running with me!) so he's going to my mother in law who doesn't work and is made up having him as he's apart of us, the other has gone to my best freinds, she needs attention all the time loves people and now works as the welfare dog on the camp we live on, I see her daily which helps. It has been the sadest thing I have done but I did read another thread on here ref dog's in oz and a few people were saying about sending there dogs back to uK as they can't be off the lead and ticks ect.
We will possibly get a dog out there but I know for my 2 cockers that it's the right thing to do leaving them.
jo
Hopefully going to Darwin, May
Bushpig is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:55 am
  #6  
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,066
annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by Big jack123 View Post
Iv got a 3 yr old dog and usually when you see a common spider he will kill it and eat it (ewww) but im just worried because he might chase a snake nd get killed and i dont want to loose him.... Ideas ne1?
We left 3 in UK one with parent and two with family who we re-homed with as didn't think any of them would cope with heat here being quite hairy varieties. Don't regret doing so as with rental house they would have recked the place and we know we re-homed them all well.

We have bought dog in Aus though cracked after 2 mths after saying we wouldn't have one here straight away.

See http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400606 for lots of info already posted by numerous people.
annqldau is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:22 am
  #7  
Mrs Bushpig!
 
Bushpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Palmerston, Darwin NT
Posts: 162
Bushpig is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by annqldau View Post
We left 3 in UK one with parent and two with family who we re-homed with as didn't think any of them would cope with heat here being quite hairy varieties. Don't regret doing so as with rental house they would have recked the place and we know we re-homed them all well.

We have bought dog in Aus though cracked after 2 mths after saying we wouldn't have one here straight away.

See http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400606 for lots of info already posted by numerous people.
Thanks for what you wrote I found it really helpful, that was the thread I was on about reading, it really helpt me in making my dicision. The sick feeling has gone now. I do know people that have taken their dog over and it's fine but it was a lot younger then mine it's also a house dog, They go out cane hunting every night!
Jo
Bushpig is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:51 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Heritage Park, South Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 316
cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

We have also decided not to take our 2 staffies - Harvey and Bella. We have just sold the house and will rehome them when we complete (this may be before the visa has been granted).

I have told our children (5 & 4) and they seem quite accepting but I know that when the day comes (and especially if we are to be in the country for a little while longer) it is going to be heartbreaking.

We are trying to find a new owner to take both and have one person who seems very interested (lost her staffie last year). I want them to stay together if possible as they are like husband and wife. I have also looked on the internet for staffie rehoming centres as people going here obviously love the breed. Our dogs really are pets and not status symbols with big studded collars.

If anyone here has successfully rehomed a staffie through a specialised centre I would appreciate any info. We are based in Hertfordshire, but would be willing to travel some distance to get them the right home/

Thanks (and sorry for hijacking your thread).

Carol
cartel is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:53 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
sj oldfield's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Lower Chittering, Perth
Posts: 4,646
sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by Big jack123 View Post
Iv got a 3 yr old dog and usually when you see a common spider he will kill it and eat it (ewww) but im just worried because he might chase a snake nd get killed and i dont want to loose him.... Ideas ne1?

Just make sure you spray your garden regularly.............your dog will just love it here............a lot more open space for him to run around in!!!!!!!
sj oldfield is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:02 am
  #10  
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,066
annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by cartel View Post
We have also decided not to take our 2 staffies - Harvey and Bella. We have just sold the house and will rehome them when we complete (this may be before the visa has been granted).

I have told our children (5 & 4) and they seem quite accepting but I know that when the day comes (and especially if we are to be in the country for a little while longer) it is going to be heartbreaking.

We are trying to find a new owner to take both and have one person who seems very interested (lost her staffie last year). I want them to stay together if possible as they are like husband and wife. I have also looked on the internet for staffie rehoming centres as people going here obviously love the breed. Our dogs really are pets and not status symbols with big studded collars.

If anyone here has successfully rehomed a staffie through a specialised centre I would appreciate any info. We are based in Hertfordshire, but would be willing to travel some distance to get them the right home/

Thanks (and sorry for hijacking your thread).

Carol
WE MANAGED TO RE-HOME BOTH OF OURS WITH ONE FAMILY WHO WE VETTED BEFORE HAND AND ALLOWED TO HAVE DOGS SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE THE MOVE SO OUR SON GOT TO VISIT THE DOGS SEVERAL TIMES IN THEIR NEW HOME AND SEE THAT THEY HAD SETTLED.

Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Thanks for what you wrote I found it really helpful, that was the thread I was on about reading, it really helpt me in making my dicision. The sick feeling has gone now. I do know people that have taken their dog over and it's fine but it was a lot younger then mine it's also a house dog, They go out cane hunting every night!
Jo
THANKS, ALTHOUGH SOME PEOPLE DIDN'T AGREE TO THE THREAD JUST TRIED TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE THAT IT ISN'T ALL NECESSARILY PLAIN SAILING IN AUS.
annqldau is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:27 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
sj oldfield's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Lower Chittering, Perth
Posts: 4,646
sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by annqldau View Post
WE MANAGED TO RE-HOME BOTH OF OURS WITH ONE FAMILY WHO WE VETTED BEFORE HAND AND ALLOWED TO HAVE DOGS SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE THE MOVE SO OUR SON GOT TO VISIT THE DOGS SEVERAL TIMES IN THEIR NEW HOME AND SEE THAT THEY HAD SETTLED.



THANKS, ALTHOUGH SOME PEOPLE DIDN'T AGREE TO THE THREAD JUST TRIED TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE THAT IT ISN'T ALL NECESSARILY PLAIN SAILING IN AUS.
..........we also have a 6 month puppy, that we got here in Oz..........who eats everything that comes her way, dead cockroaches, dying flies, even found her eating an ants nest..........just have to be extra vigilant!!!
sj oldfield is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:42 am
  #12  
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,066
annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by sj oldfield View Post
..........we also have a 6 month puppy, that we got here in Oz..........who eats everything that comes her way, dead cockroaches, dying flies, even found her eating an ants nest..........just have to be extra vigilant!!!
Ours isn't that bad although he likes to chase the big insects and barks at geckos.
annqldau is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:19 am
  #13  
NervousExcited
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: From Leicestershire and Hertfordshire now in Northampton
Posts: 4
jemmaandjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

I am in the same boat, however we are right at the beginning of our applications. Honey my black lab and smokey and the bandit my cats mean the universe to me. I think about this every day. My dad has offered to have the dawg but I just dont think I could leave her behind but is brisbane going to be a better life for her?? Good luck with staffy lovely dawgs.
jemmaandjon is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:12 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
oliverandlisa's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
Posts: 915
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by jemmaandjon View Post
I am in the same boat, however we are right at the beginning of our applications. Honey my black lab and smokey and the bandit my cats mean the universe to me. I think about this every day. My dad has offered to have the dawg but I just dont think I could leave her behind but is brisbane going to be a better life for her?? Good luck with staffy lovely dawgs.
my boys are in quarantine at the moment (2 westies ages 4yrs) i could not have come without them. They are well and truly my babies, i know i sound mad! It was / is expensive but 100% worth it to us. I know i will settle so much better once they are here.
oliverandlisa is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:22 pm
  #15  
I'm now an Aussie too!!!
 
shiels's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: 'Home by the Sea' Elanora
Posts: 5,030
shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good idea to take a dog to oz?

Originally Posted by Big jack123 View Post
Iv got a 3 yr old dog and usually when you see a common spider he will kill it and eat it (ewww) but im just worried because he might chase a snake nd get killed and i dont want to loose him.... Ideas ne1?
We have this same dilemma only its with our cat!!! The dog is coming to Aus with us, just have to decide about the cat now ...........C x
shiels is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.