Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good fishmongers in brisbane?

Good fishmongers in brisbane?

Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:23 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good fishmongers in brisbane?

Can anyone recommend any ? I've been to the one at the north end of redcliffe, but the selection was very average and the fish weren't the freshest...

cheers
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good fishmongers in brisbane?

Originally Posted by markallwood
Can anyone recommend any ? I've been to the one at the north end of redcliffe, but the selection was very average and the fish weren't the freshest...

cheers
Are you talking about Morgans at Scarborough? You can't be! It's great there.
The fish come straight off the trawler in to the shop.
That's the shop I would reccommend
j
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:34 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

HI

There's a great one in Capalaba but that might be a bit of drive for you.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
HI

There's a great one in Capalaba but that might be a bit of drive for you.
You mean Aussie Seafood House on Old Cleveland Road?! That is a great place. Much better selection and price than Morgan's IMHO.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:02 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
You mean Aussie Seafood House on Old Cleveland Road?! That is a great place. Much better selection and price than Morgan's IMHO.

Mrs JTL
Ok, just got back from Aussie Seafood house, barramundi $16 per kilo, coral trout $27 ($48 for QLD coral trout!), salmon fillets $27.

Got some of each for just over $30 all up.... not bad. They've got a good selection there.

Hi Matt-and-Jenny, yes...I think I was talking about Morgans... I've only been there once, perhaps it was on a bad day. I'll give it another go.

Any other recommendations ? friends of mine have said to try west end...will give that a go next week.....
Old Sep 30th 2007, 7:30 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, just got back from Aussie Seafood house, barramundi $16 per kilo, coral trout $27 ($48 for QLD coral trout!), salmon fillets $27.

Got some of each for just over $30 all up.... not bad. They've got a good selection there.

Hi Matt-and-Jenny, yes...I think I was talking about Morgans... I've only been there once, perhaps it was on a bad day. I'll give it another go.

Any other recommendations ? friends of mine have said to try west end...will give that a go next week.....
Sammi's seafood....Hamilton...down by the wharf.Ive been past it a few times always busy and packed out at Christmas... so must be good
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you didn't get the Queensland wild barra then because there's no way it could be that cheap. I can highly recommend snapper if you are very fond of fish. It's got a very nice flavour though not as tender a fish as barramundi. Enjoy your fish dinner!

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:54 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I take it you didn't get the Queensland wild barra then because there's no way it could be that cheap. I can highly recommend snapper if you are very fond of fish. It's got a very nice flavour though not as tender a fish as barramundi. Enjoy your fish dinner!

Mrs JTL
yep, we went for the imported stuff..

Dinner was great, thanks....here's what we had:

http://www.benodonoghue.com/Default....=10&view=topic

"fresh coral trout is about the best fish in the sea in my book. fairly expensive though, so if the pocket is a bit tight go for a cheaper reef fish like parrot or pearl perch. but really any quality fish can go with this.

in a warm saucepan add about 100g of fresh butter, a sprinkle of finely chopped chives, a good amount of finely chopped ginger, and about a tablsp. of soft green peppercorns and a whole lime.(grate the rind in first then add the juice. stir untill fused then add about a half cup of sweet white sheery. reduce this buy half then add 2 or more trout portions aprox 200g each. let the fish simmer as the sauce reduces more. turn each fillet after about 3min then simmer for another 3min. this should be plenty of time to cook a couple of fairly thick fillets. less time if they are thin. serve fillets on a a nice bed rice. sauce can be used as is, however i prefer mine thicked slighty with cornflour or cream."