Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lead time to prepare to take dog to Australia?

Lead time to prepare to take dog to Australia?

Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:33 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lead time to prepare to take dog to Australia?

Does anyone have an idea what the minimum lead time would be to take a dog o Australia? I know coming from Australia to the UK it is about 7 months to get the tests sorted for the Pet Passport. But there is no such thing in Australia, so is there any other limiting factor? We could now be moving as soon as Feb or Mar 2008, so I imagine we need to get organising. Thanks.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice
Default Re: Lead time to prepare to take dog to Australia?

Hi there,

I can only tell you our experience. As we did not book our flights untils 6 weeks prior to leaving (because of house sale), that is when we contacted Ryslip Kennels. Everything was tight for time, but they guided us through it all and off we trotted to the vets to get all the necessary jabs done.

The big thing here is the Lepto. If it comes back positive they have to retest (taking - i believe, another 14 days - please someone tell me if I am incorrect). Both our dogs passed and therefore we were ok for time. I would say, all in all that you need just over the month. Certain jabs have to be less than 30 days old and some need to be done just prior to departure.

I hope the info given is correct. Our dogs flew threw it and so much has happened since. I am sure if we had had problems I would have remembered it more clearly.

Good luck

Carol
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Does anyone have an idea what the minimum lead time would be to take a dog o Australia? I know coming from Australia to the UK it is about 7 months to get the tests sorted for the Pet Passport. But there is no such thing in Australia, so is there any other limiting factor? We could now be moving as soon as Feb or Mar 2008, so I imagine we need to get organising. Thanks.
the main thing is to get the dog booked in with oz quarantine.we booked ours to go to perth, where there is a back log. we booked ours in july and she does not fly until 17th oct.so i would find a shipper and ring them every few weeks to see where they are at.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Hi
We are moving out to Perth end of Jan 2008 and i'm just filling out the form now for the kennels to apply for my dogs permit, Byford quarantine are booked 3 months in advance so once i've got the permit i can book her in She did have her yearly jabs back in July and i made sure she didn't have the Lepto.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Dont forget the import license only lasts 6 months though so if that expires thats anther £150... I was going to apply for mine now but will leave it til end of oct in case i am delayed - i plan on going feb/mar
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Dont forget the import license only lasts 6 months though so if that expires thats anther £150... I was going to apply for mine now but will leave it til end of oct in case i am delayed - i plan on going feb/mar

Import permits are valid for 9 months - mine was issued 24.09.07 and expires 24.06.08
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Ah yes you are correct - sorry for the misinformation - the 6 months was for something else.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Hi

First thing is to get your dog microchipped. Without a microchip number you cannot apply for their permit.

The next thing is to get the import permit which takes about 2 weeks by fax - longer by post. We applied for our ourselves and will ask the animal shipping agents to deduct this cost from their quotes. Some animal shipping agents will apply for this on your behalf but we haven't made up our mind who we are using yet. There is not a waiting time at Sydney quarantine kennels but if you are putting your dog into Perth or Melbourne then you may need to get them booked in pretty soon as they are not very big.

Next would be to make sure vaccinations are up to date. Must have booster within 12 months of travel. DO NOT HAVE LEPTO DONE. Make sure you tell your vet (whatever he says) that you do not want the Lepto part done - you dog will probably fail the blood test if it has been done within 6 months of travelling.

All the other blood tests are done within 30 days of travelling.

Our 3 dogs are flying in December so we are currently getting all boosters etc done.

Hope this helps

Helen

Last edited by Hel&Will; Sep 30th 2007 at 8:58 am.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Anyone know how much teh blood tests are with their vets?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Anyone know how much teh blood tests are with their vets?
Hi homewardbound

I have been told to expect £200 to £300 each dog. There is only one place in England where the vets can send the samples for these tests which is why it will be expensive. He is hoping to get me a discount as I have 3 dogs to test!!!!

I cannot believe the cost of taking the dogs to Oz but I couldn't leave them all behind although I am rehoming the oldest. Wish I had handbag size dogs!

Helen
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I am leaving my shih tzu behind with mum ... and taking the toy poodle puppy - so far my costs are £1250 for transit and associated costs with shipping company, then the vets fees - he is already microchipped and then the quarantine - hope i havent missed anything... he is more expensive than the flights for 3 of us!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Its costing about £6500 plus jabs, quarantine and blood tests!!! As I said, wish I had handbag size dogs!!

I am leaving my shih tzu behind with mum ... and taking the toy poodle puppy - so far my costs are £1250 for transit and associated costs with shipping company, then the vets fees - he is already microchipped and then the quarantine - hope i havent missed anything... he is more expensive than the flights for 3 of us!