Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good and bad bits of Adelaide?

Good and bad bits of Adelaide?

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Good and bad bits of Adelaide?

Doas anybody know what areas to avoid or to favour in Adelaide? Are there areas that are more prone to crime than others? Looking at Brighton and Marryatville for Schooling, though I'd be renting initially. The other area I wondered about was that surrounding Fliners Uni?

Thanks

Claire.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:44 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Good and bad bits of Adelaide?

Originally Posted by Seabird
Doas anybody know what areas to avoid or to favour in Adelaide? Are there areas that are more prone to crime than others? Looking at Brighton and Marryatville for Schooling, though I'd be renting initially. The other area I wondered about was that surrounding Fliners Uni?

Thanks

Claire.
Adelaides a small city there are' nt really any bad bits or crime prone areas
like sydney or Melbourne. There is little violent crime you are unlikely to get mugged anywhere in Adelaide. The suburbs you mentioned seem OK to me.

Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Pandanda is on a distinguished road

Thanks

Claire.
Yep, Brighton Secondary and Marryatville High are two of the top state high schools in Adelaide, but you need to be living in their school zones to get in (unless you apply for their special music or sports programs) because of the huge waiting lists. Brighton's down south, closer to Flinders and the beaches. All of the areas you have mentioned are good. Brighton/Glenelg are next to each other and are the premier beachside suburbs. Crime isn't really a problem in Adelaide. You get the few idiots you get everywhere, and I wouldn't really live in the Port Adelaide or Elizabeth areas because of all the industry, but pretty much everywhere is a good place.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:01 am
Just Joined

ange1baby53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Good and bad bits of Adelaide?

Adelaide is such a fab place to live!! suburbs within 5km radius of city centre tend to be the better suburbs in regards to ..socio economic standards as they are more expensive to live ..although some of these suburbs do have higher incidences of crime like car theft.and break and enter...ie prospect..as i have been reading in the local rag. Also those burbs close to the beach are also pricier... but lovely all the same.. I agree with the post that recommends steering clear of the satellite town of elizabeth..and id even say sailsbury. I preference north and east, western suburbs then south (in that order)and coast if you have lots of $$$ ..Adelaide high is a GREAT school and specialize in languages..st peters in one very nice burb that would get you into the area for it..u would need to check the details on which streets as schools tend to have very specific areas..marrayville is a great scool too..and has a strong music program.. hope this helps!!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:05 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Claire.
Having lived in Adelaide for 40+ years , there are only a few so called [by adelaide standards]bad areas. Elizabeth and Salisbury, not being close, these areas were set up by "10 pound" poms , and are varied in every way, Salisbury heights, houses rangeing $700k to $1mill , "The lodge "at Elizabeth park,$320kt0$500, i find it quite amusing when i see posts about Elizabeth, Salisbury , alot of this feed back comes from the 70,s 80,s when these areas were tough, this element has grown up and moved on. Elizabeth at the moment with the HUGE GMH [car plant] boasts, some of the highest paid production workers in the country, in general crime in Adelaide is nothing compared with , other countries...................... mm