Reload this Page >

The Gold Coast - Work - Admin - Happy

The Gold Coast - Work - Admin - Happy

Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Gold Coast - Work - Admin - Happy

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
A job where she won't be doing 1.5 persons work! A job where if you take your full (as the contact says) hours lunch ... people say "oooh no, they don't like you to take more than half hour!" ... A job where if you work over your finish time you actually get paid for it! ... it's not simply expected and to be done for free! ...
When you find that let me know... average working week for me is about 60 hours, lunch is at my desk and paid overtime is unheard of.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:36 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
When you find that let me know... average working week for me is about 60 hours, lunch is at my desk and paid overtime is unheard of.
But surely 60 hours is not compulsory, and I'm sure you're paid well for it.

I work a 37.5 hour week. I have a full hours lunch, and get treated with respect. It exists! ... it's just a pain diggin it out here it seems, certainly in the field of admin.

At the same time we know the Gold Coast is a hospitality driven place and that admin jobs ARE few and far between, but Brissie is sposed to be where all the jobs are, but she's getting the same crap up there!

She can't get a job at Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, Macca's, Hungry Jacks, and all the rest! She's been online and put her name down, but nothing so far. I spose why are they gonna employ a 38 year old when they can get 2 x teens for the same money! ...
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I work a 37.5 hour week. I have a full hours lunch, and get treated with respect. It exists! ... it's just a pain diggin it out here it seems, certainly in the field of admin.

At the same time we know the Gold Coast is a hospitality driven place and that admin jobs ARE few and far between, but Brissie is sposed to be where all the jobs are, but she's getting the same crap up there!

She can't get a job at Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, Macca's, Hungry Jacks, and all the rest! She's been online and put her name down, but nothing so far. I spose why are they gonna employ a 38 year old when they can get 2 x teens for the same money! ...
First born has just started at Woolies - part time obviously - and at the training sessions attended by part and full timers, the youngsters were in the minority - quite a few women in their late 20s and 30s. Hang on in there Nic, something good will be just around the corner, I'm sure.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:25 am
Account Closed

My 'official' hours are 37.5... Nobody, and I do mean nobody, within the team works under 45 hours, most do over 50... and, as I pointed out we get nothing in terms of overtime.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

My 'official' hours are 37.5... Nobody, and I do mean nobody, within the team works under 45 hours, most do over 50... and, as I pointed out we get nothing in terms of overtime.
All for award wage?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:24 am
Account Closed

All for award wage?
Yep. We are all on a salary and that's what we get. I believe my contract says I am entitled to overtime but its simply not paid. I get the hours as Time in Lieu... but of course that's at management discretion so we don't get it.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Yep. We are all on a salary and that's what we get. I believe my contract says I am entitled to overtime but its simply not paid. I get the hours as Time in Lieu... but of course that's at management discretion so we don't get it.
I don't get over time, but any extra time like yourself is in lieu, but I don't work past my finish time, unless I want to.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:00 pm
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

I don't get over time, but any extra time like yourself is in lieu, but I don't work past my finish time, unless I want to.
Hi Paul and Nic

Just to let you know the Sunshine Coast is as bad for the admin employment. Myself and daughter have applied for so many jobs with most of them not even replying. We both have excellent admin backgrounds and probably over qualified for most but still no reply. If you do get an interview it is after resume, then telephone interview, then 2 hour interview....WTF???

Another Paul and Nic xxx
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

To be honest Sam we simply couldn't afford for her to retrain ... but then why if admin is her field. I've asked her to retrain for something in demand here as from what I see that's how you get by. If you do sommit that is very general then you get general wages (award) and bullshit chances with jobs!

Good call, but tried this. She spent 12 weeks recently driving to Brissie airport (could be 1.5 hours to get there) as she threw the towel with chances of anything decent of the Gold Coast.

So yeah, started a job she was promised by recruitment co was a 40 hour week for X pay. She starts and is told the job is only 25 hours pw, and the pay is obv lower too! ... not what she signed up for, but as she was promised she'll go full time in January, so plods on with it. Then December comes and is told that the job is gonna stay 25 hours and like it or lump it basically.

She was doin $100 pw in tolls and fuel for 3/4 of the hours / wage she wants / needs so needless to say she left the company.

For over 2 years Nic had a 20 hour pw work restriction on her cos we was on a student visa. In May last year she was given full working rights, plus a PR status (something that has hindered in the past) but in 8 months she's STILL in the same boat ... looking for a job!

We're pretty modest people, we don't want a lot from life, we get by on the basics. It's just one of them 'basics' is a full time job, and it just aint happening for the poor girl! ... :curse:
Why is it so difficult to get a job in admin? I've heard this before. Do the Aussies prefer to employ their Own first?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nickywes
Hi Paul and Nic

Just to let you know the Sunshine Coast is as bad for the admin employment. Myself and daughter have applied for so many jobs with most of them not even replying. We both have excellent admin backgrounds and probably over qualified for most but still no reply. If you do get an interview it is after resume, then telephone interview, then 2 hour interview....WTF???

Another Paul and Nic xxx
To be honest that doesn't suprise me. We spent a long weekend in Caloundra a couple of years ago and it did look very quiet there.

Brissie isn't turning out anything for Nic at the mo either so maybe it's the whole of the South East! ...

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Why is it so difficult to get a job in admin? I've heard this before. Do the Aussies prefer to employ their Own first?
For the Gold Coast, it's hospitality and tourism. It's after all the no1 spot for Aussies to go on holiday (so I'm told), so it's no shock that admin jobs are few and far between, but at the same time I think the only way your gonna score a job is the ole 'it's not what you know, it's WHO you know!' line. In 3 years here pretty much all of my jobs have been through a friend!

Now as to 'Do the Aussies prefer to employ their Own first?'

I'd say without a shadow of doubt yes, but also don't think it's a bad thing! An Aussie friend who owns his own business, employ's prob 30 odd people when asked gave this reply:

(when asked would you give a job to an Aussie over a Pom?)

"I would, but I'd give it to a Pom over a Kiwi!"

At least he's honest.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nickywes
Hi Paul and Nic

Another Paul and Nic xxx
Hi

Oh My God!!!! I am seriously getting scared now. I have a good job on a permenant contract with the council, my husband is a builder. We fly on 3rd March - bricking it. I am a senior management support officer, so support the senior management team in our service. I havent even tried to apply for anything yet as will wait till I get there - to be honest I wanted a couple of months off to settle the kids.

What is work like in the building trade there? Last time we were there there were lots of new housing estates being built - hoping Dave will find work and I will be able to look over the time I am off without stressing out too much.

I am honestly worrying if we are doing the right thing - its ok having the sun there but you have to pay the bills and I want to enjoy our life, not be penniless due to no work.

I know its normal to have worries but all Iread is doom and gloom and my job is safe here - we have a family to support and I am scared of letting them all down.

Jo
x
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:00 am

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johull
Hi

Oh My God!!!! I am seriously getting scared now. I have a good job on a permenant contract with the council, my husband is a builder. We fly on 3rd March - bricking it. I am a senior management support officer, so support the senior management team in our service. I havent even tried to apply for anything yet as will wait till I get there - to be honest I wanted a couple of months off to settle the kids.

What is work like in the building trade there? Last time we were there there were lots of new housing estates being built - hoping Dave will find work and I will be able to look over the time I am off without stressing out too much.

I am honestly worrying if we are doing the right thing - its ok having the sun there but you have to pay the bills and I want to enjoy our life, not be penniless due to no work.

I know its normal to have worries but all Iread is doom and gloom and my job is safe here - we have a family to support and I am scared of letting them all down.

Jo
x

Where shall I start Jo......My OH is a builder and had own Ltd Company over there. Has qualifications up to his eyeballs and was registered for Construction Industry and NHBC. Got over here probably at the wrong time of year, just before Xmas, and struggled to find work to go for. He has a job now but as a Construction Landscaper and I don't even want to tell you the wages he is on as you will be shocked. He is staying there just to get some Aussie experience and until he gets his licences (which is also pretty hard). He has to get a Contractors, Supervisors, Medium or Open licence, which will cost in the region of $5000 just so that he may either build his own stuff or be the same qualification as the Aussies.

We also have a 26 yr old son in law here as a qualified bricklayer who is at the moment ringing the yellow pages and not one job so far.

I am not pulling the Australian way down at all as it is a good thing that the builders are not cowboys but for goodness sake when you are so qualified why not take them on, after all we got in the Country on his skills?!?!?!?!

Think it may be better in Brisbane or the Gold Coast

Apart from that, it does make the lack of work more bearable in the sun

Sorry for the essay.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

She doesn't want a 'top job' ... she doesn't want a 'cushty job' ... she doesn't want an 'easy ride' ... or anything like that ... she simply wants a full time permanent job in the field of admin! ... is it REALLY that hard here???????????????

A job where she won't be doing 1.5 persons work! A job where if you take your full (as the contact says) hours lunch ... people say "oooh no, they don't like you to take more than half hour!" ... A job where if you work over your finish time you actually get paid for it! ... it's not simply expected and to be done for free! ... Or even a job where she isn't stood over by her boss and told to "shut her mouth" because when getting the blame for someone else's cockup ... and simply states it wasn't HER doing ... she get's that from the boss! ... :curse:
Sorry to hear about Nic's experiences. I have lots of experience in admin in the Aussie workplace and I think you are just going to have to accept it's very different than it is in UK.

1.5 persons workload = normal. It's very common not to have the full lunch break (if any at all) and also I've never worked in a job here (apart from temping) that pays overtime, though it is frequently expected. Long work hours and a culture of being seen at your desk is commonplace. This is of course not to be confused with actually doing any more work or being more productive.

In my experience it's just a case of a different mentality towards worker's rights (i.e. they don't have many) and the attitude of 'well you're lucky to have a job and if you don't want it, someone else will'. Having said all of the above, she should not ever have to put up with being told to shut her mouth, that is not on at all.

To be honest and not to sound harsh, I think she may have to realign expectations a bit. After all, Australians work the longest hours in Western world (according to the OECD), casual employment is the norm and they don't even have maternity leave. I think this gives a pretty good indication of the status quo in terms of employment.

I hope the situation improves for Nic.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:52 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

I totally agree with the previous post - 37.5 hour jobs with no overtime are a thing of the past (with the possible exception of some government jobs ;-) ). Australia does have a different work culture of longer hours, less of a lunch break and less paid overtime. That's why when I was working in England, companies I worked for liked to employ Aussies - because the Aussies expected to work hard and didn't complain about it.

Finding a job here is hard - whether you are Australian or an immigrant, and being an immigrant does not (nor should it) give some sort of "right" to have a job. It's even harder now because of the state of the economy. Yes, you will probably find it harder to find a job (especially that first good job) as an immigrant rather than an Australian. Ask yourselves how people in the UK would feel if jobs were always given to new immigrants from India or Europe, say, in preference to british citizens, and you can understand why Australians might prefer to give jobs to their "own" rather than a recent immigrant.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Budgie
I totally agree with the previous post - 37.5 hour jobs with no overtime are a thing of the past (with the possible exception of some government jobs ;-) ). Australia does have a different work culture of longer hours, less of a lunch break and less paid overtime. That's why when I was working in England, companies I worked for liked to employ Aussies - because the Aussies expected to work hard and didn't complain about it.

Finding a job here is hard - whether you are Australian or an immigrant, and being an immigrant does not (nor should it) give some sort of "right" to have a job. It's even harder now because of the state of the economy. Yes, you will probably find it harder to find a job (especially that first good job) as an immigrant rather than an Australian. Ask yourselves how people in the UK would feel if jobs were always given to new immigrants from India or Europe, say, in preference to british citizens, and you can understand why Australians might prefer to give jobs to their "own" rather than a recent immigrant.

I totally agree that we shouldn't expect the right to be given a job but in my view it should go to the person that is qualified for it.....Now that brings another problem up because we, as immigrants, do not have the Aussie qualifications. Very confusing to me. I have been on to the Master Builders Association for hours on end trying to get to grips with it all and they now say that he will also have to go on a Business Management Course, which apparently, if you are still awake at the end of the 2 days you get the qualification Is this all just a money making exercise?

My OH is quite happy to take the much lower job to gain the Australian experience but don't know how long for.

I am in Administration too, the managerial side, and have applied for loads and am now starting to get interviews lined up I won't be told to shut my mouth though and I don't think anybody should have to put up with that. I had a major 2 hour interview yesterday and would love the job. The hours though are 8-6 which is more than your average UK admin job I think. Will take it if offered just to get on the market.

Good luck Nic, hope something comes up soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.