Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going from 457 to 136 within Australia

Going from 457 to 136 within Australia

Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Going from 457 to 136 within Australia

We applied for our 136 Skilled Independent visa on October 17 2005, how long are they taking to come through, any ideas (I'm a nurse if that helps...)

Cheers
Old Jan 21st 2006, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Default Re: Going from 457 to 136 within Australia

We are going to Sydney on a 457 visa and now I have just found out we are going to have to pay for daughters schooling and also healthcare. I have no idea how much we should be budgeting for healthcare (2 adults 30ish and 1 5yr old). Do you have any idea what this figure is likely to be. We are eligible for PR and would probably apply once we are in Oz - would we be free to apply as soon as we got there?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
We applied for our 136 Skilled Independent visa on October 17 2005, how long are they taking to come through, any ideas (I'm a nurse if that helps...)

Cheers
I was in same position as you......I applied for 136 in end of Feb...and got it mid July....but there was a slight delay as my husband had to have HIV bloods done.

Are you aware that you'll have to leave here for 136 to come through.....ie cannot be on Aussie soil when Visa is granted.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We are eligible for PR and would probably apply once we are in Oz - would we be free to apply as soon as we got there?

You can apply anytime you like as long as you meet the requirements. You should do some research in this respect as having a 457 visa *in itself* does not qualify you for PR, although it may make the process easier after a few years.

If you want PR quicker than that, there are specific requirements to meet.

Jeremy
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We are going to Sydney on a 457 visa and now I have just found out we are going to have to pay for daughters schooling and also healthcare. I have no idea how much we should be budgeting for healthcare (2 adults 30ish and 1 5yr old). Do you have any idea what this figure is likely to be. We are eligible for PR and would probably apply once we are in Oz - would we be free to apply as soon as we got there?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am on my fiance's visa (457) and with that visa his company is obliged to get basic private healthcare which they pay for.....We are also entitled to reciprocal healthcare via medicare....

Have a look on this website:-

http://www.medicare.gov.au/

And find out if your work or your Husband's work will be provide private health care insurance...otherwise you could be looking at aroudn $300 + per month