Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

God give me STRENGTH!

God give me STRENGTH!

Old May 19th 2014, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: God give me STRENGTH!

Originally Posted by Beoz
Assumptions on weather will bring you unstuck. Ill take Melbourne's longish hot dry summers over Brisbanes long humid wet summers any day. Melbournes short winters are cold and damp but blink, and they are gone.
Yeah, that's the issue when giving advice, everyone is different. Personally I think Melbourne's winters are very long and, due to Brisbane's amazing winters, think overall Brisbane has at least a couple of months of better weather (dry, non humid, blue skies 20-25c) than Melbourne but it is really up to each individual to find what suits their taste. Of course some would prefer Melbourne's weather or at least think the compromise was worth it.

Last edited by fish.01; May 19th 2014 at 10:50 pm.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I totally take on board all the comments about Melbourne from the Sydneysiders on this thread...but surely Melbourne is more 'atmospheric' than Sydney?
Just what I was told after Irish colleague had done Bris, Syd, Melb and Perth.

I suppose if you throw a local derby at the MCG compared to a local derby at the crap stadium in western syd you might have a point.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Yeah, that's the issue when giving advice, everyone is different. Personally I think Melbourne's winters are very long and, due to Brisbane's amazing winters, think overall Brisbane has at least a couple of months of better weather (dry, non humid, blue skies 20-25c) than Melbourne but it is really up to each individual to find what suits their taste. Of course some would prefer Melbourne's weather or at least think the compromise was worth it.
It has seasons.

Brisbane has 3 months of nice and the rest is enough to suck the life out of a stone ..... in my opinion
Old May 19th 2014, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Something I always consider was brought up tonight when talking to a colleague up from Melbourne. He said the prices in Melbourne meant he lived 25km out. Because of this he said he experiences far less city life than he did when he spent a few years in Brisbane. Sydney is obviously worse again. It obviously depends on circumstances though.

So even though those cities are more exciting sometimes the expense of them can mean you don't live anywhere near them so they end up duller overall. Adelaide may be a better urban bet on some budgets. Often where you can afford to live in a city affects things just as much as which city. You may spend a lot of your life in a less than exciting satellite suburb far from the promoted stuff. That still might be preferable for some but worth considering I think if you are choosing a place for it's urban stuff.
Really good point. We are more like 40k out but the highway is good at the weekend and we balance a sort of country existence with the city. But I don't think I could be 25k put in a sort of no-mans land.

Assumptions on weather will bring you unstuck. Ill take Melbourne's longish hot dry summers over Brisbanes long humid wet summers any day. Melbournes short winters are cold and damp but blink, and they are gone.
I am going to be a troublesome git and say that Melbourne's winters are long enough to drag at the end....and sometimes Spring can take a while to get going...

I would swap a Melb winter for Sydney - but it ain't happening and the rest of the year makes up for it.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Really good point. We are more like 40k out but the highway is good at the weekend and we balance a sort of country existence with the city. But I don't think I could be 25k put in a sort of no-mans land.

I am going to be a troublesome git and say that Melbourne's winters are long enough to drag at the end....and sometimes Spring can take a while to get going...

I would swap a Melb winter for Sydney - but it ain't happening and the rest of the year makes up for it.
But usually salary compensates cost. I had a choice where I would end up and the Sydney salary was way better than Brisbane.

I saw a post recently where someone showed average salaries of the major cities. Adelaide was miles behind.
Old May 20th 2014, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney winters can be fantastic

Plenty of warmish clear days when the sun sparkles on the water. Winter and early spring are the driest times of the year in Sydney.

Summer has its hot days for sure but they are usually over by mid Jan. After mid Jan you don't get many +35c days in Sydney at all. Certainly not compared to Melbourne which can get **** hot in February.

Hottest time of the year in Sydney can actually be November to mid Jan. That is why the bushfire season in Sydney is earlier than around Melbourne.
Old May 20th 2014, 12:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Summer has its hot days for sure but they are usually over by mid Jan. After mid Jan you don't get many +35c days in Sydney at all. Certainly not compared to Melbourne which can get **** hot in February.
Well we get an average of 3 such days in Feb, 10 in the whole year. About 20 days over 30C over Summer.
Old May 20th 2014, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Sydney winters can be fantastic

Plenty of warmish clear days when the sun sparkles on the water. Winter and early spring are the driest times of the year in Sydney.

Hottest time of the year in Sydney can actually be November to mid Jan. That is why the bushfire season in Sydney is earlier than around Melbourne.
Mate - in the early days, I lived in hope that Melbourne would get more days like Sydney in winter. But I got over it - I had no choice in the matter.

The summer rain seems to put out the fires in Brissy and Sydney and bring their seasons to a close sooner..we go well into Feb (and March).

I have noticed though that Melbourne is famous for the 40 degree heatwaves but in some years it's only 3 days at a time. I have seen Sydney string together sorchers too around New Year (as you say) and if anything they can go on for longer. I've seen Perth and Adelaide string scorchers along together too - and for longer.

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well we get an average of 3 such days in Feb, 10 in the whole year. About 20 days over 30C over Summer.
Old May 20th 2014, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland is a dump. Driving to the airport through suburban streets in rush hour is so last century
Sorry to say, I agree with you.

I envy your choices for relocation. You can find one of these in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney: www.sanchurro.com
YUM!

We don't have anything this nice in Auckland.
Old May 20th 2014, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The summer rain seems to put out the fires in Brissy and Sydney and bring their seasons to a close sooner..we go well into Feb (and March).
FYI, we don't have a summer fire season at all in Brisbane...we have a short one after winter as winter is our dry season. Fires are more a thing out west of brisbane where weather is more temperate.

Last edited by fish.01; May 20th 2014 at 3:17 am.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It has seasons.

Brisbane has 3 months of nice and the rest is enough to suck the life out of a stone ..... in my opinion
I'm sure that is as balanced as all your comments about Brisbane. Sydney rulz

Brisbane mean maximum temp (BOM: Brisbane regional office):

Jan=29.4 Feb=29.0 Mar=28.0 Apr=26.1 May=23.2 Jun=20.9 Jul=20.4 Aug=21.8 Sep=24.0 Oct=26.1 Nov=27.8 Dec=29.1

Last edited by fish.01; May 20th 2014 at 3:21 am.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Weezer
Sorry to say, I agree with you.

I envy your choices for relocation. You can find one of these in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney: www.sanchurro.com
YUM!

We don't have anything this nice in Auckland.
Don't know it well but I was in Auckland recently and the areas I saw were really nice. Admittedly the more upmarket tourist areas but they at least were beautiful.
Old May 20th 2014, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure that is as balanced as all your comments about Brisbane. Sydney rulz

Brisbane mean maximum temp (BOM: Brisbane regional office):

Jan=29.4 Feb=29.0 Mar=28.0 Apr=26.1 May=23.2 Jun=20.9 Jul=20.4 Aug=21.8 Sep=24.0 Oct=26.1 Nov=27.8 Dec=29.1
No no. I like Melbourne too. Don't mind Perth either. Hobart is cool too.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No no. I like Melbourne too. Don't mind Perth either. Hobart is cool too.
Well played
Old May 20th 2014, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well played
Seriously though. I could live in Melbourne. I've been visiting Perth a lot recently too. Pay me 20% more and I could do Perth.

Brisbane ..... well ..... what would I need for that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.