Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

God give me STRENGTH!

God give me STRENGTH!

Old May 18th 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default God give me STRENGTH!

We are now contemplating moving to Melbourne.

The main reason being there's plenty of work going on for my husband. We have to follow the work. I'm sure that's easy enough for anyone to understand.

He doesn't want to go in the mines, so that's that sorted.

He doesn't want to wait for the bus tunnel job to start in Brisbane, so that's that sorted, well maybe not....yet...( still on going discussion)

( I'm so sick of not knowing where the hell we are going)

So it's a case of Sydney or Melbourne for work.
I personally don't fancy Sydney but the Melbourne weather just doesn't seem as attractive as Brisbane.

We are moving at the end of August and we don't even know where too...

We need to seriously make a decision then I can start to get the ball rolling, my head feels like it's going to explode at the moment. ( excuse for a little bender I had with friends over the weekend I just don't know where the hell to start.
Husbands totally laid-back about the situation and said I have to decide, talk about him copping out!

We have to be the most unorganised last minute family that's ever graced this forum!

Just wait for the 'update' in that section of the forum, I'm sure it will be one hell of a read!

This is what we are looking for;

Plenty of work in the tunnelling sector
Good schools
Good weather
Lots of outdoor activities, sport facilities
Near a beach at least 15 , 20 min ( yes really. Both lads love water sports/surfing )

Help me pleassssssse?
Old May 18th 2014, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: God give me STRENGH!

I think you have just got to let it boil down to work.

We were not too keen on Sydney before we moved, we had it in our heads that Melbourne was right for us, but we quickly realised Mr BS would only find work in Sydney so we adjusted our thinking, but we did have major reservations about Sydney.

Now I am very glad we ended up here and indeed we quickly were. It offers both a city and beach lifestyle and I am not yet tired of the iconic landmarks. I would have thought Sydney beaches are more plentiful than Melbourne, we are within walking distance of one and don't go there every week, but I do like knowing it is there!

I don't know enough about the Melbourne climate to compare, but they can't be that different can they? There will be good schools and sporting facilities in both cities for sure, so this is not something you can differentiate with.

A big plus for Melbourne would have to be housing costs to buy which I assume you will want to one day, whilst also pretty expensive it is not as unaffordable as Sydney.
Old May 18th 2014, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Get Mr picky to change career
Old May 18th 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think you have just got to let it boil down to work.

We were not too keen on Sydney before we moved, we had it in our heads that Melbourne was right for us, but we quickly realised Mr BS would only find work in Sydney so we adjusted our thinking, but we did have major reservations about Sydney.

Now I am very glad we ended up here and indeed we quickly were. It offers both a city and beach lifestyle and I am not yet tired of the iconic landmarks. I would have thought Sydney beaches are more plentiful than Melbourne, we are within walking distance of one and don't go there every week, but I do like knowing it is there!

I don't know enough about the Melbourne climate to compare, but they can't be that different can they? There will be good schools and sporting facilities in both cities for sure, so this is not something you can differentiate with.

A big plus for Melbourne would have to be housing costs to buy which I assume you will want to one day, whilst also pretty expensive it is not as unaffordable as Sydney.
Yeah, I think you're right about following the work. And that's probably what we will do.

To be honest I don't even think we could afford to live in a decent area of Sydney, and I don't see the point in moving from a nice area here to a crap area there. So I guess that's put Sydney out of the equation.

The pull I have with Brisbane ( the Sunshine Coast )is the beach lifestyle, ( yep, that old chestnut!) it really sold Australia to my sons. In fact, it's probably the only thing that sold Australia to my sons.
They haven't been to Melbourne, I think it looks lovely but just a bit worried about the English type weather I keep hearing about. Obviously the weather won't make us not go, but if we are all honest with ourselves we all like a bit of nice weather don't we?

Originally Posted by BASHO
Get Mr picky to change career

Nice one BASHO!

He's old school, he won't change a damn thing, but if doesn't pull his finger out soon I'll make sure his wife changes.

Last edited by Molly Coddle; May 18th 2014 at 10:04 pm. Reason: Add info
Old May 18th 2014, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Get as close to Williamstown as you can is my two bobs worth.... There is a decent bay back beach at Williamstown, for windsurfing and jetskis etc etc, which you'll be able to use daily You'll be close to work and the CBD... and the important Surf beaches, in fact the best beaches for Surf on the entire Eastern Seaboard are around 60 mins away from Willy at Ocean Grove, and beyond at Bells Beach etc. Plus you'll be in one of the best Suburbs in Melbourne.

Costs a bit though.

Eventually when you've been here long enough... say 3 years or more, your least favourite weather will most likely be the really hot days above 38 degrees believe it or not. That dislike seems to happen to the majority of people and it's not what they anticipate. We get our fair share of those in Melbourne, every year without fail.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 18th 2014 at 10:07 pm.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Get as close to Williamstown as you can is my two bobs worth.... There is a decent bay back beach at Williamstown, for windsurfing and jetskis etc etc, which you'll be able to use daily You'll be close to work and the CBD... and the important Surf beaches, in fact the best beaches for Surf on the entire Eastern Seaboard are around 60 mins away from Willy at Ocean Grove, and beyond at Bells Beach etc. Plus you'll be in one of the best Suburbs in Melbourne.

Costs a bit though.

Eventually when you've been here long enough... say 3 years or more, your least favourite weather will most likely be the really hot days above 38 degrees believe it or not. That dislike seems to happen to the majority of people and it's not what they anticipate. We get our fair share of those in Melbourne, every year without fail.

Thanks Ozzie.

I'll have a look at the cost of rentals there now.

St Kilda has also been mentioned to me (from the woman in my local Post Office )

Apparently there's a good High School there too?
Old May 18th 2014, 10:28 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That's one advantage of keeping your property in the UK is you don't really need to fret about buying a house right away in Australia. With that out of the way it really is down to where most of the work is. And if there isn't much between Sydney and Melbourne on that, I'd go for Sydney
Old May 18th 2014, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is Fine, obviously nothing like the sunshine coast, but there are wetsuit type surfing beaches along the coast.

I really cant agree melb housing is affordable, its ridiculous compared to either Brisbane or Sunshine Coast. Stamp duty is double too, 60k stamp duty on some pretty ordinary houses (dumps) we looked at. Saying that after months of looking and making the switch.

My kids quite like melb, jeans hoodie type clothing V board shorts and t shirt appeal to them. It appeals to me as I am not beachy and would prefer coats and boots anyday. But as OE said, some days in summer are hotter than you can ever imagine, hairdryer, oven then some, not days I enjoy but obviously some people do.

I think the thing with melb arriving in winter, do not to be put off by first impressions. I have read on here many times first impression was grey, drizzle and graffiti, but there is so much more to it than that. A sunny day in spring,in a leafy but $$suburb and you would think differently. My kids first impression as little kids was they hated it, it looked like a grotty part of Manchester?London to them now they are teens they really like it.

Another good thing about melb is easy weekends away, to coast, snow in winter, and you can do tasmania, sydney, canberra or adelaide in a one and a bit hour flight.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:38 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason that you could do with making a decision now is so that you can secure the best deal flights-wise. But if you get it wrong you can always buy cheapish one way flights at around $150 each to get to wherever you need to be.

Don’t sweat the small stuff
Old May 18th 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Thanks Ozzie.

St Kilda has also been mentioned to me (from the woman in my local Post Office )

OK had a quick gander, looks good
Originally Posted by paulry
That's one advantage of keeping your property in the UK is you don't really need to fret about buying a house right away in Australia. With that out of the way it really is down to where most of the work is. And if there isn't much between Sydney and Melbourne on that, I'd go for Sydney

Yeah, I agree with you about keeping the property on plus it's less hassle to sort out at this end ( for now at least)

Hmmm, I'm inclined to go more for Melbourne, the nicer areas seem more affordable.

Why would you pick Sydney?

The East, West link project also starts in Melbourne towards the end of the year.

(A tunnel job)

My husband is sitting on the opposite settee to me saying 'right, so we are going to Melbourne? Ill book the flights now'

I chose the title of this thread perfectly! God give me strength indeed!

The pair of us are bloody useless.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Melbourne is Fine, obviously nothing like the sunshine coast, but there are wetsuit type surfing beaches along the coast.

I really cant agree melb housing is affordable, its ridiculous compared to either Brisbane or Sunshine Coast. Stamp duty is double too, 60k stamp duty on some pretty ordinary houses (dumps) we looked at. Saying that after months of looking and making the switch.

My kids quite like melb, jeans hoodie type clothing V board shorts and t shirt appeal to them. It appeals to me as I am not beachy and would prefer coats and boots anyday. But as OE said, some days in summer are hotter than you can ever imagine, hairdryer, oven then some, not days I enjoy but obviously some people do.

I think the thing with melb arriving in winter, do not to be put off by first impressions. I have read on here many times first impression was grey, drizzle and graffiti, but there is so much more to it than that. A sunny day in spring,in a leafy but $$suburb and you would think differently. My kids first impression as little kids was they hated it, it looked like a grotty part of Manchester?London to them now they are teens they really like it.

Another good thing about melb is easy weekends away, to coast, snow in winter, and you can do tasmania, sydney, canberra or adelaide in a one and a bit hour flight.

Thanks for that info Jad

I have just checked rentals out in Williamstown and they are pretty cheap, why is that? Husbands just checking them out now, he said why are they so cheap, houses from $400 to $600 per week?

Originally Posted by paulry
The only reason that you could do with making a decision now is so that you can secure the best deal flights-wise. But if you get it wrong you can always buy cheapish one way flights at around $150 each to get to wherever you need to be.

Don’t sweat the small stuff
Flights are £975 return and just over £500 single, with Singapore Airlines , flying September 1st. That's not bad is it?

Just checking them out now.
Old May 18th 2014, 11:34 pm
Banned

Thanks for that info Jad

I have just checked rentals out in Williamstown and they are pretty cheap, why is that? Husbands just checking them out now, he said why are they so cheap, houses from $400 to $600 per week?

Flights are £975 return and just over £500 single, with Singapore Airlines , flying September 1st. That's not bad is it?

Just checking them out now.
That looks expensive but then it's been a few years (2010) since I booked tickets from the UK.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is not like England! It is about 8 degrees warmer than the UK in winter - maybe more - and as much as 10-15 degrees warmer in summer.

It has about 1 less hour of daylight savings but you get that back in winter - where you need it

Apart from horrible 40 degree days summer in Melbourne has to be one of it's best kept secrets - no humidity, and nice changes of cooler weather to break up relentless heat.

Melbourne has a lot more going for it than Brisbane.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ozzie.

I live in St Kilda, well St Kilda East now actually, and don't take this the wrong way, but it's not what you're looking for! Having seen your sunrise pic the other day, and I sense you like a bit of space, St Kilda is high density living. Lots of amenities nearby sure, but space would cost a lot! Pick the wrong part of St Kilda and you will see plenty of social issues which I sense will bother you!

As for Melbourne's weather, rely on the climate stats and not what people tell you on here...there is a tendency to exaggerate one way or the other for some reason! Stick to the averages and you'll get a good picture.

Year round maximums in Melbourne are probably about 5-6C warmer than London...the difference is greatest in Winter when you probably want it most! Summer has the advantage of long usable daylight hours, unlike Brisbane where it gets dark soon after 7PM in the height of Summer.

Ozzie's suggestion is good, or look further down the bay from St Kilda.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think you're right about following the work. And that's probably what we will do.

To be honest I don't even think we could afford to live in a decent area of Sydney, and I don't see the point in moving from a nice area here to a crap area there. So I guess that's put Sydney out of the equation.

The pull I have with Brisbane ( the Sunshine Coast )is the beach lifestyle, ( yep, that old chestnut!) it really sold Australia to my sons. In fact, it's probably the only thing that sold Australia to my sons.
They haven't been to Melbourne, I think it looks lovely but just a bit worried about the English type weather I keep hearing about. Obviously the weather won't make us not go, but if we are all honest with ourselves we all like a bit of nice weather don't we?

Nice one BASHO!

He's old school, he won't change a damn thing, but if doesn't pull his finger out soon I'll make sure his wife changes.
No I wouldn't move to a crap area either. We live in a very nice area, on the northern beaches, it is just expensive. I think Melbourne is more affordable than Sydney, it is a lot less affordable than Brisbane.

Brisbane does not offer much of a beach lifestyle, the Sunshine Coast might but it is a reasonable commute from Brisbane and not many would want to do that on a daily basis, so I would not necessarily tie the two together.

My OH always leaves the tough decisions to me too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.